Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

Amy

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished the 1st front piece.  I'm worried that it does not look like some of the others posted.  But I frogged and redid the last 10 or so rows and got the same thing.

Did you see the changes to row 43 in the notes at the top of page 1 of this thread? 

OK, I have read through every post and I seem to be the only one not getting this.  I understand the instruction to only increase on the seam side after row 16, but am not sure exactly how that translates to actually working with the pattern.

So how does that work precisely? 

Just follow the instructions as they're written. They're written to only increase on one side. That note was placed there so people understand it was specifically meant to change at that point in the pattern.

I am on my second repeat ... How do I post pictures

To post pictures, click the "More Reply Options" button at the bottom of the posting screen.

Scroll down to the paperclip and click the "Choose Files" button. You can select photos to upload. Once you have them all uploaded, position your cursor in the post where you want a photo to appear, then scroll down to the list of files you uploaded and click "Insert in Post."

I finished the 1st front piece.  I'm worried that it does not look like some of the others posted.  But I frogged and redid the last 10 or so rows and got the same thing.

Did you check my notes in Post #2 of this thread? I think the notes there might help you get pieces that look like everyone else's.

I think I figured out what I was doing wrong.  To me, it would be clearer if row 43 was worded something like this:

sl st to first ch-2 sp, 3ch (acts as a dc), 1 shell in next ch2 sp and in each ch-2 sp to end, dc in the last st.

I was trying to use the 3ch as the 1st dc of a shell, which is why it wasn't working out right.  I'll finish up the front pieces tonight or tomorrow morning and then post pics.

Question:

Row 27 ch 3, 2 dc 1 ch dc in the first 1 ch sp, 1 shell in each ch-2 sp to end, dc in the top of the turning ch

Row 28 ch 3 1 shell in 1st ch sp, 1 shell in each ch-2 sp to end, 1 shell in 1 ch sp, dc in last st. 

If the last sequence of row 27 is a shell and then dc to the top of the turning ch.  There is no 1st ch sp to shell into after turning and ch3 at the beginning of row 28.  

What am I doing wrong?  

Don't ask me how I got through row 17-22 without running into the problem since it's the same instructions!!  :reyes

At the end of row 27, if memory serves, you should have a 2dc chain 1 1dc in the same space. The 1space that you are to shell in is that one chain

Yes, that would make sense but that is not how the pattern is written.  The 2 dc ch dc is in the beginning of row 27 but the end is to dc in the top of the turning chain.  If you do this and you turn ch 3 there is no 1st ch sp until you get to the end of the row (28).

I thought a good night sleep would clear this up but it hasn't.  I don't see any correction in post 2 from Amy either.  I'm going to frog back to row 16 and start from there again ...... simple enough but what am I missing here?  I know there were a number of corrections during the early release of this pattern was this a version of the pattern that had this error.

ok.. I am looking at the pattern.  Row 27 would have been the original row .. Lets go back to row 26 which would have been the orgional row 5.. You should have 4dc at each end of row 26.. Row 27 starts the increase row.  At the end of row 27 (6) it says this...sk dc, dc 1 ch dc in the next st. skdc, dc in last st.

The beginning of row 28 you would be increasing,,  ch 3, 2 dc 1 ch dc in the first 1 ch sp,

I kept a piece of paper next to me when doing the back and wrote down the row i was on.

Yes, that would make sense but that is not how the pattern is written.  The 2 dc ch dc is in the beginning of row 27 but the end is to dc in the top of the turning chain.  If you do this and you turn ch 3 there is no 1st ch sp until you get to the end of the row (28).

I thought a good night sleep would clear this up but it hasn't.  I don't see any correction in post 2 from Amy either.  I'm going to frog back to row 16 and start from there again ...... simple enough but what am I missing here?  I know there were a number of corrections during the early release of this pattern was this a version of the pattern that had this error.

Are you asking about the front piece?  If so, I think that the (1 shell in 1st ch space) stitch is a mistake - because that is the "straight" side.  I just skipped it.

Are you asking about the front piece?  If so, I think that the (1 shell in 1st ch space) stitch is a mistake - because that is the "straight" side.  I just skipped it.

@ JourneyGal ....... Yep, this is about the front.  Did the pattern work after you skipped that stitch? 

ok.. I am looking at the pattern.  Row 27 would have been the original row .. Lets go back to row 26 which would have been the orgional row 5.. You should have 4dc at each end of row 26.. Row 27 starts the increase row.  At the end of row 27 (6) it says this...sk dc, dc 1 ch dc in the next st. skdc, dc in last st.

The beginning of row 28 you would be increasing,,  ch 3, 2 dc 1 ch dc in the first 1 ch sp,

I kept a piece of paper next to me when doing the back and wrote down the row i was on.

@ dilyca .....  Your pattern [The beginning of row 28 you would be increasing,,  ch 3, 2 dc 1 ch dc in the first 1 ch sp] is not the same as what my pattern says.

Yes, I think the copy of the pattern I have has a mistake in it.  I emailed Jenny King Designs directly, let's see what they have to say.  I say there's an error in the version of the pattern I have.

Thank goodness for stitch markers ....... I would be dead without them!

@ JourneyGal ....... Yep, this is about the front.  Did the pattern work after you skipped that stitch? 

Yes it did.  So just to be clear... for the Front Row 22&28... this is what I did.

Ch3, 1 shell in each ch-2 sp to end, 1 shell in ch-1 sp, dc in last stitch.

Please post the response from JKD. Good luck!

Yes it did.  So just to be clear... for the Front Row 22&28... this is what I did.

Ch3, 1 shell in each ch-2 sp to end, 1 shell in ch-1 sp, dc in last stitch.

Please post the response from JKD. Good luck!

Thanks ....... that's how I'll work it and hope I get the shell count I'm suppose to. That's how I see it too.

Will post JKD response when I hear from them.

P.S.  Completed row 22 per your correction and it is fine.  Working on the repeat rows 23-28 now.  It works.  THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!  This correction should really be on post # 2 the "correction/changes" reference post.

Happiness is...getting to the end of a row 9 and having the correct number of shells :)

(Yes I am a little behind on this project!)

Isn't that the truth ................ to me the key is just to finish.  It's not over till the "fat lady sings" and I'm not singing yet!  

I need some help.... I'm finishing row 50 and then I'm finishing off.,,can't see next step .., or understand .. Begin at bottom and work towards the shoulder ( front panels)... Help

Does your pattern not read as below?

FRONT PANELS

Begin at the bottom and work towards the shoulder

Make 2 and flip one over for the 2nd side.

Row 1:

ch 12, 3 dc, ch-2 dc in the 5th ch from hook, sk 4 ch, 3 dc ch-2 dc into the next st, sk 1 ch, dc in last ch. [2 shells]

Row 2:

ch 3 (acts as a dc) [1 shell in the next ch-2 space] twice, dc in the top of the turning ch. [2 Shells]

Repeat Rows 3 – 9 as the back twice [6 shells]

then the pattern continues with Row 17 on page 3

Archived