Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

Amy

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's #36 Rose Wine.

I didn't seem to have any trouble with the yarn twisting.  I wonder if it's because I'm left-handed.

Could be, Amy said she didn't either and I think she said she's a lefty too. Although I really can't see how that makes a difference, but it does. :-)

Ready to pu t this one together....it's made out of a diiferent yarn. Worked up slightly smaller because the yarn isn't as stretchy and my stitch was tighter.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140224_125652.jpg

Looks nice.  I was wondering how it was working with the luster sheen.  How is the drap?  

I want to use Vanna's Glamour.  It has a tiny bit of stretch to it and not as heavy.  

It's #36 Rose Wine.

I didn't seem to have any trouble with the yarn twisting.  I wonder if it's because I'm left-handed.

I'm a lefty too, and didn't have any problems with twisting. I'm working on my second front now and hope to finish soon.

Could be, Amy said she didn't either and I think she said she's a lefty too. Although I really can't see how that makes a difference, but it does. :-)

Since I absolutely did everything wrong with the yarn before I even began the project.  I had to troll the net for a solution to my tightly twisted yarn.  The simplest explanation was from a spinner who said that when she spins a Z twist yarn for crocheting she does it very lightly.  The reasoning is the direction of the yarn over.  It adds a twist to the Z every time you yo and with a dc it's multiplied by 3.  So eventually the yarn becomes over twisted.

Lefties may have less of a problem due to the direction of the yo.  

This yarn is a Z twist yarn whereas the majority of yarn on the market is a S twist.   Righties have a problem with splitty yarn (I do) because of the yo and the S twist.  The direction untwists an S twist.  

A brand new yarn on the market with a Z twist named Lotus was developed by two leading crochet designers Doris Chan and Vashti Braha.  They like it and they're the expects ..... so who am I to question this. It might just be this particular yarn manufacturer (Omega).

Since I absolutely did everything wrong with the yarn before I even began the project.  I had to troll the net for a solution to my tightly twisted yarn.  The simplest explanation was from a spinner who said that when she spins a Z twist yarn for crocheting she does it very lightly.  The reasoning is the direction of the yarn over.  It adds a twist to the Z every time you yo and with a dc it's multiplied by 3.  So eventually the yarn becomes over twisted.

Lefties may have less of a problem due to the direction of the yo.  

This yarn is a Z twist yarn whereas the majority of yarn on the market is a S twist.   Righties have a problem with splitty yarn (I do) because of the yo and the S twist.  The direction untwists an S twist.  

A brand new yarn on the market with a Z twist named Lotus was developed by two leading crochet designers Doris Chan and Vashti Braha.  They like it and they're the expects ..... so who am I to question this. It might just be this particular yarn manufacturer (Omega).

Just about all of this makes little sense to me..lol   but if I think about it and try to picture it in my mind I might just know what you are taling about...lol

Looks nice.  I was wondering how it was working with the luster sheen.  How is the drap?  

I want to use Vanna's Glamour.  It has a tiny bit of stretch to it and not as heavy.  

I can't really tell yet, it seems to be ok, but will be able to tell better when I get it all put together and done. The lustersheen has some stretch to it, but not as much as the Mimosa.

Journeygal I thought the arms were longer in the picture within the pattern

@Tameka.  Yes.  You're right... they are longer.  There are 19 rows around the sleeves after you put it together.  I'm not that far yet.  

Right now I'm doing the 5 rows around the neck/body.

Journey gal please adviseattachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's a little hard to tell from the picture... but when I laid the front pieces on the back pieces the sleeve's lined up nicely... and flat.   I attached a photo of mine.  

You might want to check back on the # of rows on your sleeves and also make sure to check the notes on the beginning of the thread and write them on your pattern.  I had to redo the shoulder and sleeves a few times before I got it right.  I wrote notes all over my pattern and checked off each row and marked it as I was going along.  I also wrote down how many shells I was supposed to have for each row and counted them as I completed each row.

Maybe someone with more experience with garments might have some better ideas.

post-70527-0-68539200-1393285964_thumb.jpg

Question:

Just curious.  How many are using the Asian join technique and any thoughts about this. 

I just pinned one shoulder seam and that's how I plan to join the pieces.

@ JourneyGal ........... not there yet.  Probably tomorrow.

Question:

Just curious.  How many are using the Asian join technique and any thoughts about this. 

I just pinned one shoulder seam and that's how I plan to join the pieces.

@ JourneyGal ........... not there yet.  Probably tomorrow.

I used the Asian join technique... but I only did 3 chains instead of 5.  That made my sc stitches about 3/4" apart.  I was really happy with the results.  

Thank you again JourneyGal for the row count help for me...it worked!  I am now working on the front sections.  It sure would be nice if Amy checked in to help us.  I agree that this pattern is one of the worse I have ever tried to make.  So many mistakes in it.  Don't think I will try another garmet CAL for a very long time!  :yes

Yeah!  I'm so glad that someone could benefit from my frustration ;-) It was really my pleasure @kittyloverdeb!  I've received a lot of help from this forum too.  I've never made a sweater before and I've really learned so much.  

I'm making this one for myself.... but my Mom loves it and wants one too.  I'm a little nervous about trying it again, because I don't know if I can read all the notes I made for myself.  I wish we could get a cleaned up version of the pattern.

Archived