Stitch Diva's Celebrity Shawl

Karen C.

Has anyone made this beautiful shawl? I purchased this pattern some time ago and really want to make it, but I haven't got the funds to pay $25 a skein for this yarn that's hard to find anyways. The pattern uses Noro Hana Silk. If you made this with another yarn, what yarn did you use and what were the results? Here's link to the picture so you know what pattern I'm referring to.http://www.stitchdiva.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SDS-001

Hi, Karen. :)

I made mine in July, and here is the link to my blog post about my Celebrity Shawl.

http://chiescrochetandknitting.blogspot.com/2005/07/my-first-shawl-is-done.html

I used TLC Amore, and the shawl came out so light and soft, I just love it!

When I was crocheting it with the yarn, the shawl was becoming too long (I'm only 5-02 tall.) so I had to rip it all and start over with less starting chains though...

Oh, and Red Heart Plush looks and feels almost exactly the same as TLC Amore to me. :D

I used a cotton ribbon tape yarn, Schoeller Esslinger Bermuda, in color 21, Opal Aqua. I used 13 balls (50g each) and bought it on elann.com; but it is no longer available there.... this was a year ago. I liked it okay; but I wasn't estatic with it. I'm not sure a ribbon tape was the best choice. Click for larger images.

th_Misc0211.jpg th_Misc0551.jpg th_Misc0301.jpg

I used Red Heart Plush, and it worked wonderfully. I also started another in LB Microspun, and I didn't like that a whole lot; there wasn't much drape. I'll probably try again in Simply Soft, and maybe in something light from Knit Picks. It's a great shawl!

My 15 yo daughter made one this summer using TLC Amore. It was enormous! She's about 5'5" and it was all the way down to the floor. Absolutely gigantic, and she did make sure her gauge was correct! So she ripped it all out and began with many fewer motifs. Here it is done on fewer motifs:

gabitlcshawl.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just made several of these shawls, and after coming back to one after 6 months, I have misplaced my pattern!I was wondering...for the border around... does anyone know what it is? Thanks...

I made one with super saver as a practice, since it uses a lot of yarn I did not want to use expensive yarn just in case. Well, it came out gorgeous. I wore it a couple of times and get tons of compliments on it. I am sorry that I did not use good yarn. I am going to make one for my close friend's 40th birthday. She told me if I give her that it will make her birthday. So I am looking for some really great yarn that will not break my bank. Here is a picture of it.DSCF0707.jpg

and a close up of flowers

DSCF0706.jpg

good luck with the pattern.

She's now offering a "bottom up" version with the pattern, has anyone tried it? I'd love to see a picture of a finished one if you have, it's hard to see detail from her site.

I love this shawl but I don't like doing top-down shawls. If the bottom up version is just as nice I'll definatly spring for the pattern :ebay

Holly

I just bought the "revised" pattern and plan to make it with some silk/rayon yarn I was RAOK'd, but that's available from Melanie on Ebay.

I have been eyeing this for about a year and just finally got it. Of course, I am intimidated by the stitches I never did, but we shall see. Any tips would be great.

I just bought the "revised" pattern and plan to make it with some silk/rayon yarn I was RAOK'd, but that's available from Melanie on Ebay.

I have been eyeing this for about a year and just finally got it. Of course, I am intimidated by the stitches I never did, but we shall see. Any tips would be great.

Did you have any trouble downloading your pattern? I bought the "revised" pattern as well, and nothing happened. I'm a little worried, because I submitted my order twice. I emailed them about it, and was wondering if it took you longer than a day to receive your pattern if you downloaded it.

I ended up downloading the zipped file because the other one didn't work. Try to download that one, it worked fine. I was able to download it instantly right after payment.

I would, but there is nothing for me to click on to download like with previous orders. I was thinking that maybe their site is temporarily shut down or it's after hours, since I order at night.

Yay, I don't know what happened, but I was able to download it today! :) Now, has anyone tried making this shawl using Homespun? Just wondering.. because I have 4 skeins of it, and was thinking of using it to make it.

Yay, I don't know what happened, but I was able to download it today! :) Now, has anyone tried making this shawl using Homespun? Just wondering.. because I have 4 skeins of it, and was thinking of using it to make it.

Yes, I've used Homespun - Rococo. This is my own version, but it looks very similar. I started out with WAY too many chs, though, so this is going to be gigantic! It's not done yet, but here's pics so you can see what the homespun looks like:

CelebrityfrontHS.jpgCelebritybackHS.jpg

Celebritycloseup.jpg

I also designed a pattern that's similar, but fewer sts, so it's lighter weight, and doesn't "eat up" so much yarn!

Wanna see it?

Star-flowerShawl.jpgStar-flowerShawlback.jpg

This is made with Caron Simply Soft (2 strands tog). I call this "Star-flower" Shawl. :hook This goes very fast and it's light weight.

Shelleden, how many skeins did it take you to make yours from Homespun so far? I am debating whether I need more or not. Yours looks wonderful! If it's huge, it'll be extra nice because you can wrap it around an extra time, right? Anyhow, did you use a J hook for it? I am thinking of using a J hook because I have a difficult time with homespun. The bottom picture looks just as nice as well, Caron simply soft is wonderful! I should get a few skeins of those as well.

Hmmm, I'm not sure, cause I bought this in a cone off E-bay (but it's identical to LB Homespun), but I'd say it's probably equal to 2 skeins, and I'm on the 2nd cone, so I have at least 3 skeins in it so far, and since I started from the top, I'm already committed to the size (which is huge!). I'd say I'm maybe 3/4 done with it. I would think a normal size shawl would take 4 skeins of Homespun, including the fringe. That's my guesstimate! I used a K hook. I'm writing the pattern for the blue one right now, and plan to put it on my site for sale sometime this coming week. I'm also going to write the same design, except it starts at the bottom & goes up - that way, you can decide on the size. Here's a pic of it:

Star-flowerfront.jpgStar-flowershawlback.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - it's made with Sensations Angel Hair yarn - found only at Jo Ann Fabric stores, and very affordable. It's $5.99/skein, and it's very soft & comfy. Here's a closeup: You probably can't tell, but it's lightly fuzzy. Also, it comes in several beautiful colors.

Star-flowerShawlcloseup.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - it's made with Sensations Angel Hair yarn - found only at Jo Ann Fabric stores, and very affordable. It's $5.99/skein, and it's very soft & comfy. Here's a closeup: You probably can't tell, but it's lightly fuzzy. Also, it comes in several beautiful colors.

How much of the Angel Hair did you use? I love that yarn, and it looks great in that pattern!

Thank you Shelleden, that really helps... 4 skeins... I love Angel Hair too, I've been dying to make it, but wasn't sure how many skeins I'd have to buy. I made the "Coming Home" Poncho with it, and it worked well... now, I'm looking forward to buying the yarn in the turquoise color. :) I'm currently making this shawl with Caron's Simply Soft also, using an H hook. I suspect I'll probably use 3 skeins. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

It seems that working the pattern from the bottom up, seems to take longer! Anyone else observe this?

Thank you Shelleden, that really helps... 4 skeins... I love Angel Hair too, I've been dying to make it, but wasn't sure how many skeins I'd have to buy. I made the "Coming Home" Poncho with it, and it worked well... now, I'm looking forward to buying the yarn in the turquoise color. :) I'm currently making this shawl with Caron's Simply Soft also, using an H hook. I suspect I'll probably use 3 skeins. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

It seems that working the pattern from the bottom up, seems to take longer! Anyone else observe this?

Hi Aziandoll - Guess what! I made another "Star-flower" Shawl, and it only took 2 skeins of HS, and I had a little left over. Of course the Celebrity might take more since it's a thicker stitch. When I made my version of the Jessica Simpson (Celebrity) shawl 3 or 4 yrs. ago (beige HS), I started it with way too many chains, and now I'm committed to that size. I never did finish it. I'll finish it eventually, but it's gonna be huge! You're right, it does seem to take longer to make one from the bottom up, but at least you can determine the size that way. Can't wait to see pics of your shawl! Are you using 2 strands of CSS? My blue CSS is 2 strands, but the others are 1 strand since the yarn is bulkier.Here are some pics. The HS Tudor shawl only took a day & 1/2. It goes really fast. I had to knot the ends of the fringe though, to keep it from shedding like a cat! I decided to put ties on the front to keep it on my shoulders better. The beige Angel Hair is made from the bottom up - I plan to get it written down, too. Some people prefer bottom-up.

Star-flower Shawls:

Star-flowerTudorfront.jpgStar-flowerTudorback.jpgStar-flowerTudorwties.jpg

Star-flowerShawl.jpgStar-flowerShawlback.jpg Caron Simply Soft, 2 strands held tog

Star-flowershawlback.jpg

Angel Hair yarn

My version of the "Celebrity" Shawl HS Rococo (not finished):

CelebrityfrontHS.jpgCelebritybackHS.jpgCelebritycloseup.jpg

I used Moda Dea's Aerie in a white and gold. I used fewer motif's than called for and can't tie the shawl in the front. I wish I had used a few more. It does hang down to my knees in the back. I guess there are some directions for making it backwards now so that doesn't happen. Good Luck!!

Archived