Hello all and a question

purplecrazy

I've just discovered Crochetville this evening, and it's fabulous. I'm specifically in search of something to help keep my yarn contained during commutation crocheting.

I've been working on baby afghans, potholders and ponchos at an amazing speed lately and find that I get loads done on the bus and/or subway in and out of work. However the yarn is constantly getting snagged on things in my bag, or tangled on itself.

I've tried the soda bottle option and that works well, but is a bit unwieldy, so I'm wondering what other suggestions folks here might have for ways to keep the balls of yarn from picking up stray cough drops, or carpet lint, when they fall out of the bag at home.

:yay very cute emoticon there, and since it's purple I couldn't resist.

And if there's anyone out there in the Woodside Queens, general vicinity who would be interested in a crocheting evening, I'm very interested!!!

Thanks and look forward to hearing from folks.

All the best,

Alice

hmmm...sometimes i unwind skiens of yarn directly into a ball, and when im using it i put the ball into a straight sided bowl next to me on the couch. that way it can spin around as much as it wants but still doesnt go nowhere. plastic ziploc bags could help you out too.

anyway, welcome and glad youre here!

by the way...whats the soda bottle option???

Thanks so much to everyone for their suggestions, I'd used the ziploc bag one before, but have found that other things in my bag are punching holes in the bag.

The soda bottle option I found was to take a 2 liter soda bottle, dry it out and cut it in half

Take the yarn ball and put it in the bottom half of the bottle, then fit the top half of the bottle over the bottom, threading the yarn through the opening. This works well, until you bang the bottle around enough and then it cracks and it's a bit hard to get the bottle to fit together easily. Also, if you already have the yarn attached to a project you will have to cut it in order to thread it through the bottle.

I wish someone would come up with a clamshell type of yarn ball, maybe I'll have to invent one myself!

All the best,

Alice

Welcome to Crochetville!

I actually have a seperate tote that I use just for my WIP's... I have a backpack (that is falling apart, so I soon need something else) that I tote back and forth to work with me everyday. I keep the project I'm working on along with my crochet hook carrying case as well as scissors and tape measure. It works really well as I don't allow anything else in that bag.

I know some people don't want to carry more than one bag, but it works really well for me as I work at a Cash Advance store and have to carry large sums of money with me to and from work (and the bank) and having my purse, lunch box and back-pack everyday, nobody would ever know which bag has the money in it.

Good luck and have fun!

Welcome to the board Alice! :hi This is such a great place.

On your question, I know there is a fancy product they sell in yarn stores and mags that is a clear container with a screw-on lid with a hole in the top for the yarn to thread through. Someone has posted in the last year a picture of a product they made themselves that was similar. Sounds like it might work for you. I'll see if I can't find the pic...

Tandi

Would be great to see a picture of the yarn container that you mention. It would be great to have a clear kind of ball in different sizes that you would just roll around wherever you go, will have to look into making something like that.

All the best,

Alice

you can make or buy soft canvas bags.....sew in a drawstring in the top then no more worries. (hobby lobby has then for about $1.00) at least thats what I put mine in, and there is enough room to store smaller projects in the same bag.

Robert

:tup

Archived