Filet crochet in the White House

http://www.afanews.com/articles/articles/something-of-splendor-decorative-arts-from-the-white-house

Just came across this via a link on the Crochet Today blog. Scroll down to see a filet coverlet made by First Lady Grace Coolidge. It says she worked on it over a two year period. What a big project! I wonder how she made up the design, lots of graph paper maybe.:hook. And she left it to become part of the permanent collection there.

I attempted to look up "shoe thread" and while the info is probably there somewhere, I don't think I'm going to spend my day researching it. I don't think it's what I call shoe string which would lace into my shoes to tie them with, but rather it may be the heavy threads used to sew the shoe together. There may be different sizes in this but since I failed cobbling class in school... :wink

Did you notice it says "Crocheted with shoe thread"? I'm not sure what that means

Shoe thread is the thread used in the sewing machines or hand equipment used to sew the various parts of shoes together. It is about the weight/grist of a No 12 Perle Cotton

Then it was mostly linen or less often cotton, today it is mostly some form of poly.

There are also shoe threads that are more like a Floss, in fact, Nymo, a floss like thread favored by many bead workers, was originally (and is still today) used in shoe construction

Probably more info than you wanted,

HTH

Wheat

Shoe thread is the thread used in the sewing machines or hand equipment used to sew the various parts of shoes together. It is about the weight/grist of a No 12 Perle Cotton

Then it was mostly linen or less often cotton, today it is mostly some form of poly.

There are also shoe threads that are more like a Floss, in fact, Nymo, a floss like thread favored by many bead workers, was originally (and is still today) used in shoe construction

Probably more info than you wanted,

HTH

Wheat

Not a bit more! Thanks! I'm so glad you know about it, Wheat, and can help us out!

I have some thick thread I inherited from my mother. I think it's called buttonhole or carpeting thread. I'm pretty sure that it might be similar. Also perhaps upholsterers might use a similar thread. The coverlet seems to have been exceptionally well maintained to have lasted all these years.

Archived