Is it worth the $$

I have found an afghan I want to do for myself and hubby. I COULD do this on my own without a pattern, but I was wondering if getting the yarn that comes with this pattern is worth paying the $29.99 here. Anyone purchase this and can give me an idea if it's worth the cost here or should I just buy yarn at the hobby store and do it myself?

http://www.herrschners.com/Product/Ripple+Supreme+Afghan+Crochet+Kit+1.aspx?keyword=ca+amazon

I would check if this is one of their pattern books, which you can sometimes buy, or one of the free patterns that they have made into a kit. They will sometimes take the free online afghan patterns (with permission and make them up as kits to sell.) If you like their yarn it is great, but if you prefer other yarn you may find another alternative.

Someone may be able to tell you which book this comes from. Many of their afghan books are on sale if this isn't a free pattern they made into a kit.

See, I've never used their yarn, so IDK if I'd like it or not. I'm just wondering if just the yarn itself would be worth the price. Because I KNOW it will be hard to find 4 different shades of one color....I've already been looking online!

I may just check at Hobby Lobby next time I go to see if I can find 4 shades of one color there and decide from there whether to get the kit or not. Only problem is I want to make an afghan bigger than what they say one kit will make, so I'd have to get 2 kits!

I'd check around for the yarn first. If you want either of those 2 colors it's probably worth it, but it you wanted..say blue I'd check with ILTY for colors, or even for the colors shown and compare the price.

Well, if you decide to order it (as I just did, thanks!), there are some coupons active that will save you on shipping and get you a gift with purchase:

Code W8 will get you a free tote bag with a $50+ purchase

Code F97 will get you free shipping on any order of $35+ (expires 12/24/11)

Both of these codes worked for me.

A friend has asked me to teach her how to read a pattern for a ripple afghan (she desperately wants to make one for her husband). So her Christmas gift from me this year will be the kit (in teal), and I ordered the purple one for a friend who loves purple.

Thanks for your question! I would have never thought to get these otherwise!

Alaina

See, I've never used their yarn, so IDK if I'd like it or not. I'm just wondering if just the yarn itself would be worth the price. Because I KNOW it will be hard to find 4 different shades of one color....I've already been looking online!

I may just check at Hobby Lobby next time I go to see if I can find 4 shades of one color there and decide from there whether to get the kit or not. Only problem is I want to make an afghan bigger than what they say one kit will make, so I'd have to get 2 kits!

You may want to check out the brown family ans a free ripple pattern as there are many out there. I bought a round ripple kit then kicked myself as I didn't like the yarn (was 100% wool) well for an afghan and I then found a ton of nicer patterns online. This was when I was picking my hooks up after about 15 yrs.

Colleen

You may want to take into consideration that the yarn included in the kit is considered a fine weight yarn, thus, the afghan will be much lighter in weight and texture, say compared to Caron's Simply Soft or Red Heart's Super Saver type yarns.

I have not had a problem in the past trying to find even 5 shades of one color of yarn. But, something like this I would probably order online.

Hope this helps.

The pattern book is also available from a variety of sources:

1. Amazon ~ The Best of Herrschners 2-Ply Afghans, Volume 2, http://www.amazon.com/Best-Herrschners-2-Ply-Afghans/dp/B002ZGOKO4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323716047&sr=8-2 (this one actually has the purple version on the cover) - $9.99

2. Amazon ~ The Best of Herrschners 2-Ply Afghans (I'm thinking this is the first volume, Volume 1) http://www.amazon.com/Best-Herrschners-2-ply-Afghans-Book/dp/B002WE7D52/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323716163&sr=8-3 - only $2.99

3. Ebay ~ http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=Best&_kw=Herrschners&_kw=2-Ply&_kw=Afghans $5.99

This Ebay listing has a picture of the 4 designs in the book http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Herrschners-2-Ply-Afghans-Crochet-Pattern-4-designs-/320809370538?pt=US_Crocheting_Knitting_Patterns&hash=item4ab1ba83aa

Hope this helps!

I'm going to look when I go to Hobby Lobby next. We have exactly 2 stores here that I can buy yarn at...Hobby Lobby and WalMart. So I'm going to do my best to find the 4 shades of whatever color (thinking green or blue) at either of those stores. And if I have to I'll order online! I prefer to buy in person so that I can see the color in person.

I think the cost would definitely be worth it to avoid the aggravation of trying to find just the right shades of color. One click and you are on your way to crocheting! Yarn, pattern, and a great little zippered pouch to keep it in! Some of their kits are expensive but this one seems very reasonable. I think the kit yarn from them is more of an economy yarn but I have not heard too many complaints about it, either.

If you had another ripple pattern you wanted to use, that yarn is available for individual purchase on the Herrschnerr's website.

Archived