Yarn question

Is it just me, and i love Red Heart yarns, but are some colors thinner than others?

I have from walmart supersaver in paddy green and cherry red, they are thicker than the soft white. Not by #of ply but overall.

And i have mistletoe and it seems a bit "waxy" for lack of a better word.

Or am i just weird?

I don't know if it is always true, but it seems like the darker colors are thinner than the light colors. White and natural colors seem fluffiest. It is usually not enough to notice in a pattern unless you are making something small like amis -- I noticed when I was making the Funky monkeys. they legs are bigger in the lavender than they were in blue. Odd.... as they are similar tones.

It's the darn pigments that mess with the thickness, I think. I hate when that happens. Sometimes the inspectors miss the thinned spots in yarn. Seems to be from a thread breaking and reestablishing back in the spin procedure. So, instead of a 4-ply, you'll get a 2 or 3 ply for a few feet or yards. You also get a certain percentage of errors allowed in production for a yarn to be considered A-grade. For us needleworkers, it's REALLY annoying.

It's the darn pigments that mess with the thickness, I think. I hate when that happens. Sometimes the inspectors miss the thinned spots in yarn. Seems to be from a thread breaking and reestablishing back in the spin procedure. So, instead of a 4-ply, you'll get a 2 or 3 ply for a few feet or yards. You also get a certain percentage of errors allowed in production for a yarn to be considered A-grade. For us needleworkers, it's REALLY annoying.

No kidding! It can be annoying when making hats and other things. You can complain to the company when things aren't perfect and tell them about the problem. They will usually try to make things up to you by giving you more yarn.

I've done this a few times when the standards are really not met in the manufacturing of yarn. And then I receive a skein or two to replace the imperfected ones. Red Heart and Lion brand really try to stand behind their products.

:manyheart

Yes, I think it's the dyes that are used, too. Some 'plump' up the yarn, others make the same kind of yarn feel softer. Different dyes require different ingredients to make them adhere, so it makes sense that these different ingredients would affect the final product, the colored yarn.

Oh! I have noticed this too many times including the other day. Half of the RHSS at my local Walmart is very.... Rough? And it's all the colors I often wanna use too! :P

I never thought about dyes being to blame until now.

No kidding! It can be annoying when making hats and other things. You can complain to the company when things aren't perfect and tell them about the problem. They will usually try to make things up to you by giving you more yarn.

I've done this a few times when the standards are really not met in the manufacturing of yarn. And then I receive a skein or two to replace the imperfected ones. Red Heart and Lion brand really try to stand behind their products.

:manyheart

Thanks. That's good to know. I haven't yet run into a skein that was so bad I couldn't make it work but it's good to know that if I do Red Heart and Lion will send me a skein to replace the bad one if they think it's justified. :)

I have found that many of RHSS in ombre colors seem thin for lack

of a better word. I don't purchase much white so I haven't noticed

it in solid colors. I purchased gem stone recently and it worked up

differently. It felt more like a 3 ply dk yarn than a four ply.

I have noticed sometimes I"ll get some red hearts and its so soft! then I go for more of a diffrent color and it's not as soft.. I swear I will sit there and squish the yarn to find the soft skeins of red heart sometimes LOL

Archived