Squares for Survivors -now with link!!!

Crochet Buffet

I'm contacting all my crochet hangouts and asking them to make 6" squares.

I'm hoping to collect enough squares to represent one for every evacuee/survivor of Hurricane Katrina.

The squares will be put together as lapghans, baby blankets and ghans to give to our local shelters.

I do hope to get a webpage set up and also a button, for those of you who want to post it on your blog/site.

squares4survivors.gif

www.cenla.net

The only square requirements are that they are made using machine washable yarn, and that they're 6".

Please email or PM me for my address to send the squares in.

Oh - and if you knit (or know someone who knits and wants to help), knit squares are welcome, too!

Thank you all!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our local news will be doing a story about my efforts to collect squares.

Now, how cool is that?

My interview will be this Friday, so I'm sure it'll be on the evening editions of the news.

They're going to film me crocheting, too!

I'm glad they're taking an interest.

Bravo! Wonderful idea.

I had been thinking earlier in the week about making memorial quilts with squares to remember the kids that didn't make it through...your idea is much more...I'm not sure of the word I'm looking for...encouraging? life affirming I think is the term I want.

I'll post about it on the One Small Thing blog right away.

hugs

Ro

Jackie I will do some too. I have been on a roll with making squares lately. :lol I think I still have your address. I've been wanting to help the hurricane victims, and can't do it monetarily (is that spelled right?) so I would be more than happy to do this!! :hug

:manyheart

Tina

Count me in on this! I have a skein of yarn that I have had for a few years that I could not figure out what to use it for. This will be the perfect way to use it up - and it'll be put to great use! :)

Okay, I sat down tonight and made some cute little daisy squares. Where do I send them? :think Please send me the snail mail address by email. By the way, WHO is going to sew all these squares together!!! They must be an ANGEL!

:eek It will be a lot of work! I love the idea of this. I will send these tomorrow and perhaps some more later.

Once, at a huge women's conference I was at, they handed out yarn and hooks to anyone who wanted to help. Tons of us made 12" squares while we were listening to the lectures. By the end of the conference, they already had dozens of afghans sewn together and displayed. The afghans went to humanitarian relief. It was really cool. I was glad I could help with the squares -- but even more glad I wasn't one of those sewing them together! Larger squares were probably easier to put together so fast.

Stitchinpick

Could you enlist the help of a local Retirement village where people are able-bodied enough to help sew or crochet squares together for your Hurricane K charity afghans. I am sure there will be a huge number of people who want to help but who do not have the cash to give.

Otherwise maybe your local senior school craft groups could help out.

We have groups here called "Care and Craft" where elderly people, who still live at home, get together once a week and either teach a craft or learn a craft so maybe you have something like that in your town.

I have just put together an afghan of about 20 squares and it was a big enough job without having hundreds to do.

When knitting an afghan, you can actually knit squares of colour in strips so maybe a crochet one could be done that way too. I will give it a try to see if it works, then people could be encouraged to crochet a strip 6 inches wide and the length you want the finished afghans to be, then you would only have to sew the strips together.

Is there an address where I can send a contribution please?

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck with the interview.

Colleen:hug :hug

I've sent so many PMs and emails yesterday and today, I thought my fingers would fall off!!!

I'm so happy (and proud) that so many are helping with this!!!

A few more locals have jumped aboard the S4S train, and after the broadcast today, I'm hoping to get more!

I have enlisted the help of a friend to help put squares together.

We're going to get together regularly, as the squares start coming in, and have "Square Stitching" parties! :hook:hook

During my interview, I'm hoping to make mention of the few other crafts for Katrina projects going on, and, mention that KIDS can learn to crochet and/or knit to help! Maybe I'd be killing several birds with one stone.

Boy how I'd love to hear that there were a slew of kids picking up hooks and needles to help out their fellow Americans!

:manyheart:manyheart

Well, at 10:20 this a.m., I got a call from the reporter who was to interview

me. She had another news story to cover, and couldn't come out today.

:cry

I cried when she rescheduled, especially since DH took the day off to keep the girls entertained during the interview.

We've rescheduled for Monday, and I'm hoping that I'll have more squares to show. (silver lining,anyone?)

Not to worry - these things happen :) There is a definate silver lining :) More time for more squares and perhaps the interviewer will give you more time as well :)

It must be extremely difficult for the newscasters to keep a handle on all the stories that are happening down there. Besides the normal day to day stuff weather, etc. There is alot to cover and not alot of bodies to cover it all. Unfortunately sometimes the bad stories outweigh the good. But JUST feel GREAT that the news channel wanted your good story!!

Hugs,

I made three cute daisy squares last night and put them in the mail this morning. If the post office tries really, really hard, they may make it by Monday morning. I will make more and send later.

*Note to others. Do not use plastic Scotch bubble envelope! (I thought it made sense because it would keep it safe and dry.) The ink will not dry when you write on the plastic. I managed to smear it to kingdom come by the time I noticed at the post office. I had to tape over the smears with a piece of paper at the post office :blush .

Are the plain paper 8.5 x 11 envelopes okay to mail squishy crochet items? Are the bubble envelopes better? What have you guys mailed the small items in?

Stitchinpick

Are the plain paper 8.5 x 11 envelopes okay to mail squishy crochet items? Are the bubble envelopes better? What have you guys mailed the small items in?

Stitchinpick

I prefer to wrap 'em in bubble wrap and mail 'em in Tyvek envelopes, or get the padded brown paper envelopes that have bubble wrap inside and use those. Squares aren't fragile but they can be torn if the envelope rips, so it's nice to provide them with some extra padding/protection.

Dorothy -

I have some links to squares patterns on the S4S site:

http://www.cenla.net

I feel really special that you're going to do squares for this!

I'll PM you my address.

Thanks!!

Hi Jackie ,

I usually do not do squares but if some one will send me a link where I can find a pattern I will make some .and the address where to mail them

My heart goes out to these People There but for the Grace of God go I

Dorothy

My E mail is

Dmaydottie@wmconnect.com

Archived