Squares for Survivors -now with link!!!

Crochet Buffet

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jackie,

I am thrilled to see some of my mums squares used in one of your completed afghans.:grandma

I wish she could see it for herself.

She will be thrilled when I tell her tomorrow.

:sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump

All 40 million sheep in NZ are dancing, even though the squares were made of acrylic.

Great job.

Colleen:hug

Gorgeous work Jackie!

I've been working on a whole blanket to send you (was gonna be a surprise, you know, one giant square LOL but I thought I should update you that I didn't forget you!) it's about half finished, then I had to put it down momentarily because I'm actually trying to finish a couple blankets up for a local family who moved to Mississippi and lost everything in Katrina; I am trying to get in touch with local news stations to find a way to get the blankets to them because I felt so bad when I saw the mom on tv crying that the little ones had lost their baby blankets :(

You're doing a great thing...you rock! I hope to get the blanket finished soon and on the way to you.

hugs

Ro

Thanks everyone for your contributions and supportive words!

I'm proud to announce Squares 4 Survivors now has over 1,000 squares!

1077 to be exact!

:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

This Thursday, a group of stitchers and I will begin piecing together squares. We're getting together 2x a week to get as many as possible

done by the end of the month.

I received a call from the news reporter who first covered the S4S story.

She's anxious to do a follow up!

And boy, I'm anxious to show all these wonderful squares!

I can't tell you how happy I am to have so many hearts helping out with this project!

There is a family that just got a home (single mom w/ 4 kids under 6, and she's keeping her sister's children - sister is Nat'l Guard and on orders down in N.O.) She's worried about blankets for her kids this winter, so guess who will be getting the first S4S ghans?!!! :hug

Anyway, just an update and a huge THANKS to my C-ville buddies who've sent in squares!

Jackie I just put the finishing touches on your "giant" square! :D I think you'll be quite happy with it when you get it...it's lavendar and so squishy and...best of all the blanket is all in one piece NO joining! :lol It's ready to be given away soon as you get it.

Congratulations on surpassing 1000 squares, that is simply PHENOMENAL!!!!!! You go girl!!!

Kudos to all the people helping you join too...I have to tell you joining squares is my least favorite thing to do in crochet so my hat really goes off to you!

You all inspire me!:clap:cheer

hugs

Ro

Picture_1172.jpg

Here's a picture of my super-duper ginormous square! :D It washed up soooooo soft...I can't wait to mail it off to you on Wednesday, Jackie!

hugs

Ro

Ro -

That's such a pretty ginormous square!

I can't wait till it arrives!

I'm up to my eyeballs and then some in squares!

I'm supposed to have a follow up interview on the news this week, but don't know for sure yet.

I'm a local celebrity (snicker)

I've had people say to me 'I saw you on the news! What a great thing you're doing for the evacuees!' *blush*

I had my follow up interview on the news last night!!

The square count was 1515 (when they did the initial interview, I had 15 squares! Quite a big difference, huh?! :rofl)

I think it went over well. I'm still trying to get the videotape copied over to DVD in hopes of uploading it to the site.

I've selected a shelter to take the ghans to when they're all done (or Dec 1, whichever comes first!)

It's a small church shelter on the outskirts of Alexandria.

It's not associated with the Red Cross, and the shelter is being run BY evacuees. It's quite an impressive set up. They have 50 families there.

Dawn,

Let me look through my notes and I'll get back to you.

I'm sure I did, but I want to double check ;-)

Jackie - the Afghans are coming out just beautiful!! Just wondered if you received my 3 envelopes of squares?? Let me know - thanks

Ro -

your gorgeous ginormous square arrived Saturday!

It is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper soft!!! What yarn did you use?

It looks way different than the picture, so it was a treat when I saw it!

Thanks for helping out! It means alot to me, and I know it means alot to

the survivors.

Here's a picture of my super-duper ginormous square! :D It washed up soooooo soft...I can't wait to mail it off to you on Wednesday, Jackie!

hugs

Ro

Yep, yup - they arrived Sat. Oct 15.

I try to keep the site updated with whose squares/afghans have been received.

I have yours noted as "A. Pratt" because that's what the envelope said. ;)

Thanks so much!

did you get my squares too? o sent i think 20 in a padded mailer they were all blue and tealthanks for letting us help

Wahoo!!! :clap:clap:clap

Amber your box arrived today! My mailman smiled when he handed it to me and said, "Looks like you've got some afghans this time!"

They are so beautiful, and I love the "LOVE" and "HOPE" squares!

Thank you so much for your generous contribution!

Bless you!

Let me know when you get by box Jackie! I think I got confirmation on it, but it was a large box so I want to be sure.

Amber

• 2 weeks later...

ooooooooooo!!! I love the pink multiple shape one! I'm gonna have to make one like that...maybe even for myself :lol They're all gorgeous, thanks again for all the hard work Jackie!!!

xoxo

Ro

Archived