shawls

Hi. I was just wondering what kind of yarn you would use to make a shawl if you didn't want it to be too heavy?

I have a pineapple one that calls for a worsted weight but it sounds so heavy.

Someday I want to make one to wear with a dress or outfit for going out, you know something to dress it up abit.

Would love to hear any sugestions.

Teapot:manyheart

So, how light are we talking? Lace weight, or just somewhat lighter, like a sport or dk weight? Do you want cotton, or wool, or a blend? Is acrylic on the list? Do you have an upper limit on budget? Just trying to get a feel for what you like!

When I think pineapples (not used in doilies, heh) I think mercerized cotton? There are lots of colors and several manufacturers. As an accent that has practicality, I'd go with something neutral, or two strands held together if you wanted to add some metallic to it.

You could try WEBS, if you order online. They'd have tons to choose from. Or KnitPicks? Both sites also have lots of laceweight, fingering weight and dk weight yarns, in many fibers.

...and now that I've babbled on, I'll stop! :lol If you narrow it down *I* might be of more help; I've had yarn on the brain for a few days. I'm sure others will have specific faves! :cheer

I love lace weight shawls and stoles. I have one made out of Classic Elite Yarns Silky Alpaca Lace (70% baby alpaca, 30% silk). I could wear that thing all of the time!

IMHO, using size 2, 1 or 0 yarn will give the best light weight shawl. Depending on the pattern, a DK weight shawl would be all right.

My suggestion, break out a hook and various yarns and gauge swatch! :yes

well I am definatly on a budget. Mostly what I can get at a walmart or michaels.

Lace weight sounds interesting, so does the alpaca lace stuff.

I don't mind acrylics at all.

Don't think I would like wool.

I sure appreciate all of your comments. I have my eye on this stuff at walmart that seemed quite fine and had a shimmer in it.

Anyway, just thought I would see what everyone else uses. Teapot :)

Some of the sock yarns can make beautiful shawls. I think you will find Red Heart Heart and Sole to be an economical way to make a light weight shawl that you will love. Check it out on Ravelry. Just click on Yarn on the top tabs, then input Heart and Sole, click search and it will come up. On the right side, you will see 5000-some projects. Click on that and then look through to see shawls. There are a lot of scarves and shawls so you can get a good idea of the potential for different looks.

I wouldn't use anything heavier than DK weight (weight class #3). A shawl I made way back when is in fingering weight (weight class #2).

Many patterns these days call for "laceweight," and depending on the mfr this will be weight class #1 or even #0. However, it's worked up on larger hooks so that the lace spaces/pattern develop well.

Do you have a specific pattern in mind? How many yards does it call for? I found a perfect shawl pattern and then fell across a 50% off sale at an LYS. Done!

Many of the on-line vendors have natural fiber yarn or natural fiber blends for good prices; keep in mind the total number of yards you need, how much time you're going to put into this project, the drape you're looking for, etc., and *then* compare prices.

DCM

bigger hooks area plus if all you can afford is worsted weight yarn, you get a lacier look too

If you can get it, I used Bernat Satin Sport for a shawl recently and it's very lightweight

Archived