And Hey, Don't forget to write!!!

I just donated 15 baby afgs yesterday! A little early, compared to my normal delivery times, but I felt like Santa Claus! ALthough knowing they will go to good use,(Locally; to Emerg. Preg. Crisis Center) and wrap some little baby in warm and love, I felt as if I were giving up children!

Each one reminded me of when I made it, how I chose the yarn, how many hours I worked on each, etc etc etc! All the happy times we shared together!

So although happy to donate, kinda sad to see um go, but GLAD to get some room back in my craft room too, so the good out weighs the sad feelings! After all, what good would they be doing, if I were not to share them!! Anyone else feel like that when donating?? LOL just askin! :):):(

oh yeah! Congrats on donating though.

I love giving but sometimes you are like.. oh, it's so beautiful <sigh>! Just like to sit and look at it a while. But then I'm happy to know that a baby somewhere is going to be wrapped in love. :manylove So that makes it all better. :U

Hi ~ I know what you mean. :) But I usually feel differently. I donate to NICU's, so I feel like I can't get them out the door fast enough! :crocheting ... I think of (for example) a tiny baby born much too soon and may not even have a blanket yet. :c9

If it helps, just think of all that you put into making your blankets and know that someone will love and cherish it. :manyheart

:hug Wishing you many more loving donations! :hug

oh yeah! Congrats on donating though.

I love giving but sometimes you are like.. oh, it's so beautiful <sigh>! Just like to sit and look at it a while. But then I'm happy to know that a baby somewhere is going to be wrapped in love. :manylove So that makes it all better. :U

Yep, I know, me too! I try to donate to that particular charity a couple times a year. They put the items in a "store", and if the girls that need help with their pregnancies and dr. appts and such, do what they are supposed to do, and attend whatever classes they are supposed to, they accumulate points, and can "spend" them in the "store". So I know they will be wanted and loved, if one has to earn them!!

Hi ~ I know what you mean. :) But I usually feel differently. I donate to NICU's, so I feel like I can't get them out the door fast enough! :crocheting ... I think of (for example) a tiny baby born much too soon and may not even have a blanket yet. :c9

If it helps, just think of all that you put into making your blankets and know that someone will love and cherish it. :manyheart

:hug Wishing you many more loving donations! :hug

Thanks, and that is another great way to share the love, lol Babies are babies, no matter what!

It would be cool if things we give away could write to us and let us know what they are doing:lol Even with gifts to people we know, we often really don't see them being used.

"It's starting to snow here today, and Recipient is heading out the door, so I've just been taken out of the closet and plopped on Recipient's head. My partner, Scarf, is coming along on the outing too. I'll write again soon!" :lol:lol

Oh, I have received numerous cards in response to my gifts. Well, the hospitals respond, anyway. In fact, once I mailed 8 premie blankets and was told that 7 were given away the very day they were received. :eek I was like, wow! I mostly donate to the hospital that took care of my sister's difficult pregnancies. That's why NICU's are close to my heart. :c9

I have sent two full-size afghans, on separate occasions, to a hospice organization (one in memory of someone who passed away) and never heard back. It's okay, though. I hope that means they're busy taking care of our loved ones. :manyheart

I have 7 babyghans ready to go to the maternity ward of our local hospital. Every Christmas I receive a letter of thanks from the nurses, last year with a side comment that they love the colors I use! They are so very grateful and I always leave there with a warm heart. :manyheart

I have to agree with wanting to hear about how snuggly the afghan is that I made for my sister in the mid-west ("It gets SO cold here") and the like. I did make throws for my neice and nephew and other sister just gushed over them! :cheer

post-16732-135897684403_thumb.jpg

post-16732-135897684406_thumb.jpg

I'm dropping off my first prayer shawls at church this morning, and I'm excited, so glad they will give comfort to someone, esp since crocheting is so calming for me

Yep, I know, me too! I try to donate to that particular charity a couple times a year. They put the items in a "store", and if the girls that need help with their pregnancies and dr. appts and such, do what they are supposed to do, and attend whatever classes they are supposed to, they accumulate points, and can "spend" them in the "store". So I know they will be wanted and loved, if one has to earn them!!

Thanks, and that is another great way to share the love, lol Babies are babies, no matter what!

I love the idea of earning points and then spending them in the store!! That is so good to know the person who gets your gift will have done something to earn it, has picked it out herself, and in turn will appreciate it.

Kudos to you for working so hard to make sure each baby has something special and homemade with love. I think you send a good message to the new mothers too. If a stranger thinks their baby is special enough to do this for, then they should really understand how special their little gift of life is!

It would be cool if things we give away could write to us and let us know what they are doing:lol Even with gifts to people we know, we often really don't see them being used.

"It's starting to snow here today, and Recipient is heading out the door, so I've just been taken out of the closet and plopped on Recipient's head. My partner, Scarf, is coming along on the outing too. I'll write again soon!" :lol:lol

I love this post, ha ha, and your sense of humor... NO telling how far we can run with this!!

Oh, I have received numerous cards in response to my gifts. Well, the hospitals respond, anyway. In fact, once I mailed 8 premie blankets and was told that 7 were given away the very day they were received. :eek I was like, wow! I mostly donate to the hospital that took care of my sister's difficult pregnancies. That's why NICU's are close to my heart. :c9

WOW, that must have made your day!! You really made theirs!!

I have sent two full-size afghans, on separate occasions, to a hospice organization (one in memory of someone who passed away) and never heard back. It's okay, though. I hope that means they're busy taking care of our loved ones. :manyheart

I love your attitude! I too have donated to a hospice, in honor of my mom, mother in law, and grandma in law. What a nice thought, busy taking care of our loved ones!

I have 7 babyghans ready to go to the maternity ward of our local hospital. Every Christmas I receive a letter of thanks from the nurses, last year with a side comment that they love the colors I use! They are so very grateful and I always leave there with a warm heart. :manyheart

I have to agree with wanting to hear about how snuggly the afghan is that I made for my sister in the mid-west ("It gets SO cold here") and the like. I did make throws for my neice and nephew and other sister just gushed over them! :cheer

Wow, nice, and loving those colors too!! You made someone's day, 7 times, which in turn, made your day!!

aw, now you'll have to make your sis one of her own!

I'm dropping off my first prayer shawls at church this morning, and I'm excited, so glad they will give comfort to someone, esp since crocheting is so calming for me

What a nice thing to do, knowning that somehow, comforting someone else is the best gift you can give!

I love the idea of earning points and then spending them in the store!! That is so good to know the person who gets your gift will have done something to earn it, has picked it out herself, and in turn will appreciate it.

Kudos to you for working so hard to make sure each baby has something special and homemade with love. I think you send a good message to the new mothers too. If a stranger thinks their baby is special enough to do this for, then they should really understand how special their little gift of life is!

Nice thoughts, thank you for putting into words what I often have thought myself!

*sniff* Love reading this post and you are all totally awesome!

awww! thanks a bunch!

• 2 months later...

It is nice when we receive thank you's for our donations or a gift to someone. Tucked away in my many crochet magazines I have a handwritten thank you note for a baby afghan I made for the daughter of a couple I went to church with. Then there is the memory (tucked away in my mind and heart) is the thank you my great niece gave me indirectly for the baby afghan I made for her when she was born. You see she loved it so much through the years she wore it out completely and her mother had to make her another one. Then there is the recent memory of the prayer shawl I made for a member of my Sunday School class who is fighting lung cancer. I took the beginnings of the shawl along with the yarn I was using for the whole class to pray over it. I had asked Becky to leave the room while we prayed over it. When I gave it to her a couple of weeks later I explained to her why I had asked her to leave the room and that we all had prayed over it and for her. She wore it to church for many Sundays after that. I got such a warm glow from seeing her wearing it. I know sometimes it is hard to give up something we have created but by giving it away we get so much more pleasure than if we just sat and looked at it. At least I do.

Last year, I donated eight little sweater and hat sets to the local hospital. I put in a little card in each bag with my email address. I received two wonderful thank yous and pictures of the babies that wore the sets. It was really touching.

So I've started making sets again. Made three so far, and a bunch of hats.

They will be leaving here shortly.

:manyheart

Archived