iPad Cozy

Miss Crochet

No, really, I need it for work. I do. The fact that you can look at digital crochet magazines on it is just a bonus, I swear. :lol

The pattern will follow in the next few days, in the meantime, here's my latest scrapyarn project. It makes a nice tablet cozy but would be super for a book or diary as well.

post-18038-135897670286_thumb.jpg

post-18038-135897670289_thumb.jpg

post-18038-135897670293_thumb.jpg

Hey, one of the main reasons I bought my iPad was to make it easier to take care of things here at Crochetville when I'm away from home! So I totally get that it's needed mainly for work, but there are still lots of fun things to do with it on the side. :)

Now I can't imagine how I ever lived without mine.

Your crochet is always so wonderful. I love the envelope idea. Myself I just got the I pod touch and fell in love. I thought the Nook was great, but now I'm thinking I need the iphone so I don't have to carry my phone and I pod. I read my nook books away from home on the ipod so I think that's the greatest little thing you can have. Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I would love one of these for my nook. Hmmmmmmm, maybe the pattern in sizes, just an idea:)

Ohhh I love it! I don't have an iPad yet but want to get one soon. Now, let me ask all of you that have one a stupid question. My whole family keeps asking me why I want one and what can I do with it that you can't do with your smart phone (that I DON'T have) or computer? Since I don't know an awful lot about iPad's can you guys tell me how to answer them? They think I'm wasting my money!

Well, I don't have an iTouch or an iPhone, I just have an ancient Nokia mobile phone because I really just use it for emergencies or to send the odd text. I didn't buy this to replace a smartphone, I just wanted to move into the 21st century :lol:lol:lol

I'm a teacher, so I wanted a device that had internet access (I only have WiFi because I didn't want to have to pay extra. We have WiFi at home so I'm online wherever I go in the house), that was big enough for me to be able to type notes and forms. I'm going to use mine to replace my attendance list book, my lesson plan notebook, my ordinary notebook (for notes and ideas), my grade lists and all the other fiddly bits and pieces I carry around in my schoolbag. So what I'm actually using it for is like an advanced organizer, with the option of being able to transfer Word and Excel files back and forth between my mobile device and computer. An iTouch would've done the job, but the bigger screen is handier for entering text.

The e-reader apps (I have Kindle and iBook) are just super - I never thought I'd be that excited about an e-book, but they are lovely to read from. I can read books in the dark while my husband is sleeping because I don't need a light - the screen is backlit.

What else? Well, if you like to play games, there are thousands of them - but I actually don't like that kind of thing. I love the resources available in app form - I can hold mine up in class and show them photos of things (our school's computers are too old to cope with data transfer from an iPad to their dinosaur PC system!) or maps of the US and Britain, for example.

It's also handy in a dozen tiny ways - for example, yesterday we were trying to put together our garden furniture, which we'd taken apart over the winter. Of course, my husband couldn't remember how to put the swing seat back together, so we were standing on the balcony, puzzling it out - so I got the iPad, downloaded a PDF of the instructions and we used it to rebuild the seat. Very handy! :D

Oh wow! Thank you Miss Crochet! I have a Kindle but think the books in color and especially the PDF's of crochet patterns would be great to have. I can download PDF's onto the Kindle but you know when you are looking at a pattern it just makes more sense to you if they are in color! lol I do like games - some of them anyway. I was wondering if you can load things like recipes onto it. I would love to have my recipes at my fingertips in the kitchen. Right now there are on my desktop and anything I make that I can't remember the recipe I have to go and print it out. Sounds like its going to be a great addition for you in school. Our Pastor uses one for his sermons. Loves it!

I was wondering if you can load things like recipes onto it. I would love to have my recipes at my fingertips in the kitchen. Right now there are on my desktop and anything I make that I can't remember the recipe I have to go and print it out.

Well, I'm sure you could. If you already have a Mac, it's easier, but I work from a PC and have no problems so far. You could, for example, save your recipes as PDFs, then you just open them in iBooks (free) or in a PDF viewer like Goodreader that you can buy in the iTunes app store. I think you can add notes to PDFs in Goodreader (I don't have it), so you could add extra info if you do something different.

You could also download a recipe box app. Before you buy an iPad, you should go to iTunes and browse their app store. If you enter 'recipe' as a search phrase, lots of little programmes come up. I'm looking at one on the iPad as I write called 'My Recipe Book' which seems to be able to save photos of the finished meal and calculate different amounts if you want to make more or less. The downside is that you might have to type in your recipes into this application - you have to check to see whether you can import this information in text form to save you having to type it in. There's also a free app called 'Pepper Plate', which seems to do much the same thing. These apps also prepare a shopping list for you, so you can pop your iPad in your handbag when you go to the supermarket and your list is already onhand.

So the short answer to your question is: yes, you can use it for recipes :lol:lol I prop my iPad up on one of those book stand-thingies when I'm reading e-books (so much handier when crocheting, you only need touch the screen and the pages turn!) and you could probably do the same in the kitchen to have it by your side when you cook.

Well, I'm sure you could. If you already have a Mac, it's easier, but I work from a PC and have no problems so far. You could, for example, save your recipes as PDFs, then you just open them in iBooks (free) or in a PDF viewer like Goodreader that you can buy in the iTunes app store. I think you can add notes to PDFs in Goodreader (I don't have it), so you could add extra info if you do something different.

You could also download a recipe box app. Before you buy an iPad, you should go to iTunes and browse their app store. If you enter 'recipe' as a search phrase, lots of little programmes come up. I'm looking at one on the iPad as I write called 'My Recipe Book' which seems to be able to save photos of the finished meal and calculate different amounts if you want to make more or less. The downside is that you might have to type in your recipes into this application - you have to check to see whether you can import this information in text form to save you having to type it in. There's also a free app called 'Pepper Plate', which seems to do much the same thing. These apps also prepare a shopping list for you, so you can pop your iPad in your handbag when you go to the supermarket and your list is already onhand.

So the short answer to your question is: yes, you can use it for recipes :lol:lol I prop my iPad up on one of those book stand-thingies when I'm reading e-books (so much handier when crocheting, you only need touch the screen and the pages turn!) and you could probably do the same in the kitchen to have it by your side when you cook.

Thank you so much! I'll go check out the apps on i-Tunes. I would love to be able to take it in the store with the shopping list. I used to have a Palm Pilot years ago and I had a rudimentary program on that that had a shopping list. Love it at the time but today its much more sophisticated! I think I'm buying myself an i-Pad! lol

Another pretty - and useful - pattern for another necessary "toy" we all should have.... I don't have one, but if I manage to convince my family it's something impossible to live without.... :lol

• 1 year later...

Archived