Favorite Yarn Weight?

Geo13

Hi All, I am relativly new to Crochetting and enjoy it very much. I started out playing with sport weight and have ventured to sock weight and enjoy those both very much. I have recently tried some lace weight and then went to the other end of the spectum with a pretty chunky weight. The lace weight is very dificult for me to work with:(. I like working with the chunky but when I make a mistake it is very apparent:think. At this point I prefer the sock and sport;).

Anybody have a favorite weight yarn? Why is it your favorite? What weight don't you like to work with and why?

Thanks! Nicole

I don't really have a prefernce to what weight yarn I find I can work with most types of yarn I find that a I have to change size hooks when using certain yarns to get the guage that I want. I recently been working with boucle yarn and find once I learned how to work with it I love boucle yarn. It takes practice with some yarns more than others really how comfortable you feel what your working with.

It totally depends on the proejct I am workign on as to what weight yarn I want to use. Most of the things I do, I use worsted weight. It is medium and looks like the only one you didn't try. I would give it a go as you will probably find the biggest percentage of patterns use worsted weight.

Of course if you are doing something like doilies -- you use thread, socks -- sock weight; projects with a lot of drape often use lace weight or sock yarn..... it just depends on what you are making. Since afghans are the biggest percent of my crocheting .... worsted weight works best for me. I will use sport weight or baby yarn for baby afghans but mos tof them are made with worsted.

I'm a fan of worsted for most things. It is pretty versatile and lends itself well to a number of hook sizes (I use it with everything from G to K). Bulky is my go-to yarn when I'm in a time crunch. :P

I use worsted weight the most, then bulky weight next, and sport weight next. I like these the most because I make purses, totes, all kinds of smaller bags, and rugs the most. I've become very fond of making and using cotton washcloths and dishcloths, and that cotton is also worsted weight.

The only weight I cannot use is thread. That is disappointing because there are so many projects that I want to make for dolls that are thread only.

When I first started to crochet I thought I couldn't use thread either. Although I do not do too much with thread I have not given up. My butterfly avatar is thread. If you really want to use it play with it first. The worst that can happen is you waste thread. I guess I'm saying don't give up on thread. :P

My favorite yarn weight is generally worsted weight. :D

My favorite weight is definitely worsted. I've used it for 95% of my projects. And since I've used it for 95% of my projects, I'm currently trying to branch out and try patterns that use different weights, I'd love to get the hang of using crochet thread and am getting into using bulky as well. :hook

Hi All, I am relativly new to Crochetting and enjoy it very much. I started out playing with sport weight and have ventured to sock weight and enjoy those both very much. I have recently tried some lace weight and then went to the other end of the spectum with a pretty chunky weight. The lace weight is very dificult for me to work with:(. I like working with the chunky but when I make a mistake it is very apparent:think. At this point I prefer the sock and sport;).

Anybody have a favorite weight yarn? Why is it your favorite? What weight don't you like to work with and why?

Thanks! Nicole

Hi Nicole :waving My #1 favorite to crochet with is size 10 thread, either regular cotton or the newish bamboo http://www.shopredheart.com/default.aspx?PageID=62&CategoryID=17&ProductID=2391&RootCatCode=02000 so far i haven't used the bamboo as much as i would like to, but i was glad to see there were a couple of patterns using it in the summer issue of Interweave Crochet. I like the look of small sttiches;)

in general i like to crochet with DK weight or smaller yarn; personally i don't really like the look/feel of worsted for crocheted clothes but it's great for afghans. i have some teeny tiny wool laceweight that i thought would be great to crochet with but it's a pain in neck as it kinks up on itself and is just really hard for me to manage. I've enjoyed crocheting with sock/fingering weight, and sport too. One yarn I really enjoyed working with is Louet Euroflax sportwt http://www.louet.com/yarns/euroflax_sport.shtml I love the way it feels and it is machine washable and dryable; the only downside is it is rather pricey, but i do feel it is worth it for the right project, and i hope to use it more in the future.

I love working with worsted and sport weight yarns. My stash is probably half of each of them. I can crochet with thread and have made some doilies, but I prefer using yarn. I'm very slow with thread and seem to get nowhere fast. :hook

The only weight I cannot use is thread. That is disappointing because there are so many projects that I want to make for dolls that are thread only.

The problem I find with thread is I can't see the stitches. I don't have a favorite weight, however sometime I want quick results so bulky weight is my choice.

Archived