chemo hat yarn?

janni

Sorry if this has been asked but I have read a lot of posts and do not know anyone personally at this time that has worn them. I know the yarn should be soft and baby yarn is but how about the colors? Thinking some browns or golds would maybe be a little more subtle. I am starting to make them and dont want them to be heavy like winter or full of holes for head to show through. I would like them to be a little elegant but not shocking. Hope you can understand this post. I started one made of baby yarn and will share it when done. Just want some input from others that have made or worn them. I am very sensitive on this and hope not to offend anyone as I lost my Mom years ago to cancer(she wore a very poor constructed wig and head itched always)Thanks in advance for any help.

I am currently making chemo caps (plan on making them for a long time to come). I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the end of December so chemo caps are part of my wardrobe right now. I am currently using Caron Simply Soft to make them. I had some beanies made up to donate to my church's clothes closet that were made out of the Simply Soft yarn. When I began to lose my hair I grabbed one of these beanies to wear. Not only is the yarn soft but it was lightweight on my head. What I am trying to say is when I began to lose my hair my scalp constantly hurt. Sometimes my scalp only hurt when there was pressure on my head and sometimes it just hurt constantly. The cap made out of the Caron Simply Soft yarn did not put any pressure on my head so was comfortable to wear at all times. Plus it kept and still keeps my head warm. I have 2 chemo caps (Whoops!! Make that 3. I have one fancy slouchy beanie that I wear when I want to look dressy.) that I wear all the time. Since I stay home all the time except for doctor appointments, chemo treatments, and church when I am feeling good 2 is all I really need. All of the ones I am making I will give to the onocology facility where I receive my treatments. In fact this past Wednesday when I went for bloodwork I talked with the person who coordinates the donation of chemo caps to the facility. Currently I am using some of the Caron Simply Soft Brites to make the caps and the colors I am using were well liked. I also have some made in pastel shades and will make some in darker shades later. I plan on dressing up the darker shaded ones with some stripes of lighter colors. Take it from a current cancer patient make them as bright and cheerful and even fancy as you can. We need any and everything that will cheer us up and give us a good feeling. PM me if you want some more ideas or want info on where to donate them.

Well here is my first try. I liked this pattern as it seemed close knit. The yarn was some baby soft and was nice to work with. My other concern was that it not look like a winter hat. The last pic is another pattern I found. Thought it looked lightweight and would work up nicely. There was one other but it was done in an open shell and when I tried it looked holey. Does adding the little flower appliques seem nice or maybe just pin them on so someone that doesn't like it can take it off? Thank you for your help and ideas.

post-43783-135897651813_thumb.jpg

post-43783-135897651816_thumb.jpg

post-43783-13589765182_thumb.jpg

I very much like your first hat in the blue. The swirl is very interesting. I think that would be lovely in all different colors. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of women like that pattern. My mother had cancer, and while she had treatments, her hair fell out. I think she would have chosen this swirl pattern for sure.

I like the swirl too. Thank you Real. Kathy you posted about your "fancy slouchy beanie" and I thought since it seemed a favorite maybe you could post the pattern here for me(and others who may be interested) to make a definate keeper. I don't mind if it is one to buy or if you dont have a pattern maybe a pic of the beanie. Also, no hurry to post as I know you are busy today. ((hug and prayer))

my daughter loved the slouch styles but I make a good sized brim for stay on power before the slouch ,or weave in a round of tiny elastic but not too tight..I say if you use flowers make them detachable her fav hats were done in pima cotton in crochet and SS but I knit those in assorted cables so it stayed on nicely. a nice example of a good sturdy brim crochet hat is at http://jeanariespatterns.blogspot.com/2011/03/x-o-slouch.html

I guess I am semi expert at these hats now my dd has had 2 rounds of chemo in 3 yrs and now a friend is going though it, she has requested one in long eyelash bronzy brown that resembles a wig of sorts :)my best wishes goes out to all going though this treatment..

I really like that pattern! Now I need to find an outlet for pima cotton. We are currently in Arkansas and moving to Oklahoma(live in rv on road fulltime) Do you buy yours online and if so where? Thanks soo much for your help.

First of all, my thoughts and prayers go out to all of you who are dealing with chemo or who knows someone who is going through it also.

I think both chemo caps are beautiful. Even though I have never gone through chemo, I could be wrong, but I would imagine each person has different side effects and maybe the one that is "holey" may be more comfortable than a thicker one for some people. Again, just my little humble opinion.

LI Roe

I know when my mom was fighting cancer friends have her some hats made with fun fur and another yarn not sure what but when she was in the hospice floor the last few weeks of her life allllllll the ladies there loved them as it looked kinda like 'hair' After she passed i donated all her caps to them and when I am in a better position emotionally and all I am going to start making them and lap ghans and shawls to donate to there and the cancer center where she got her treatments.

Thanks for posting this topic, I've enjoyed reading all the responses. I spoke with a rep for the Halos for Hope charity at Stitches South and really want to send a few caps to them, and I was wondering the same thing. I have a bunch of SS in my stash so I'm going to start with that. Thanks again!

I just wanted to say that with summer coming - you may want to check out a summer or cotton yarn. I Love This Cotton is very soft and lightweight and on the thinner side like Simply Soft.

SS is a wonderfully light and soft yarn. It's also warmer than Red Heart or regular Caron yarns.

I'm sure that they will be just right. Could you point me to the swirl pattern in your first post? It looks so lovely, and I ahve absolutely TONS of Caron Simply Soft (so snuggly and affordable!).

Reminds me of my mom, when she was dealing with lung cancer. I had just picked up crocheting again, and the 2 beanies I made her were the first thing I made in decades! She wore them everywhere, and was quite comfortable.

Janni - I am super happy you posted this! I've been wondering the same things. I have some ILTC left over from a couple baby blankets and will definitely be trying the swirl pattern. Maybe let me know where you're donating them to and I can help some?

Well here is my first try. I liked this pattern as it seemed close knit. The yarn was some baby soft and was nice to work with. My other concern was that it not look like a winter hat. The last pic is another pattern I found. Thought it looked lightweight and would work up nicely. There was one other but it was done in an open shell and when I tried it looked holey. Does adding the little flower appliques seem nice or maybe just pin them on so someone that doesn't like it can take it off? Thank you for your help and ideas.

What a lovely hat. Where do I find the pattern for it?

Hi Janni!

I applaud :clap your efforts to make those undergoing chemo a bit more comfortable!!!

I myself was the recipient of several of these during my go-round with chemo a decade ago...

You are right to consider using cotton - but in the world of cotton there is a huge gradation of what would be good, just okay and of course not too great to use...ALL cottons are NOT created equal!:lol

The cotton caps were far and away the BEST ones I had - but I learned that the chunky (peaches and cream/ sugar and cream) ones got heavy - and did not stand up to frequent washing in that they didn't keep their shape well or stretch out again.

Avoid cotton blends that contain - polyester, nylon elastic, acrylic or wool - when the scalp is super sensitive from steroids one must take during chemo and the little bit of stubble is coming back in - that SMALL difference in fiber can make one want to rip a cap off their head!

Pima cotton is the bomb - or any fine "washable" cotton - some contain very silky super soft WASHED angora. They wash wonderfully and have a natural (not TIGHT) stretch to them.

The best prices on this I have found is at Web's. They have 8 pages or so on their online store of it - and the ones that I like best are the Cascade Ultra Pima, Rowan Classic Pima, Berrocco Pure Pima, Viking Milk & Honey, and Plymouth Baby Bunny.

http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-washable-cotton/

Since having the unfortunate lot of having to be a wearer of these - the good news is that I now have a pretty good take on what is "wearable" and what could potentially drive one crazy wearing them - don't forget they are not on for an hour or two like regular hat wearing - in the colder months they are on ALL day and sometimes it is even worn all night - I liked wearing a chemo cap to bed because with my scalp feeling like a porcupine against the pillow (being made hypersensitive from the steroids didn't help this!) I could sleep easier with a cap on ;)

Thank you for the link and yarn suggestions. I live "on the road" and will be not so mobile in a couple weeks and will be able to order some. In the meantime, I have started some patterns to try and hopefully will have everything down pat when I get the yarn I want. This one was made in a soft worstad(I know it wont work for those sensitive times) and I wanted to try it and get the hang of making patterns that maybe fold closer around the face. My slouchy beanie I am not happy with-not the patterns fault-have another to try and hopefully it will work as it seems a favorite. Purchased some Simply Soft but see it is an acrylic too :(

post-43783-135897653755_thumb.jpg

Archived