Kindle for viewing crochet patterns

llshiff

Question

Has anyone used a Kindle or any other ereader for viewing pdf crochet patterns that are downloaded from Annie's attic or the digital crochet magazine. Do the patterns, pdf files and images come out okay?

I would love to be able to carry my patterns around without the weight of a book and without having to print them each time.

Thanks for your help, as this is a big purchase for me, and I don't want to make a mistake.

• Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My older K2 doesn't have the same note-taking capabilities in the .pdf as the K3. But you can zoom in on mine by hitting the Aa button and selecting one of several size increases (150%, 200%, 300%). Another trick I've heard is to increase the font size of the .pdf and send/save that version to your Kindle.

Patty

Well I guess I did know it was 15 cents per MGB as I had saved a link about that from the amazon site but the amazon info makes it sound like there is a fee no matter what you are using. Mary

• Kindle (U.S. Wireless) user: We'll send personal documents to your Kindle via Whispernet while inside the U.S. wireless coverage area for a fee of $.15 per megabyte.
  • Kindle (Free 3G) user living in the United States: If you transfer personal documents to your Kindle via Whispernet while inside the United States, the fee is $ .15 per megabyte. When traveling outside the United States, a fee of $.99 per megabyte will apply.
  • Kindle (Free 3G) user living outside the United States: We'll send personal files to your Kindle via Whispernet for a fee of $ .99 (USD) per megabyte anywhere in the world you access Whispernet service.

Oh, I have the 3G one. So I'll just delete the ones that I have on the Kindle that I can't see and then zoom up before transferring them again.

It's just not free for the 3G, you have to use yourkindlename@kindle.com w/ convert in the subject line. It makes the pattern look like anything else you are reading on kindle; I've only had 1 that didn't convert right (it had "tables" in the PDF).

I didn't know that, thanks. It stinks because they don't charge a monthly fee for the 3g and you can download the books and games but they do if you use the kindle email, I didn't know that about the 3g. I have wifi at home anyway. Mary

Would it matter if you emailed from the wifi with 3g one? I don't have mine handy but I would think it's like viewing a PDF on your computer, the PDF file has a zoom function at the top of the tool bar and you need to change the size there in the PDF tool bar. Will check in a bit when I get up stairs as I can't remember what I do. Mary

It's just not free for the 3G, you have to use yourkindlename@kindle.com w/ convert in the subject line. It makes the pattern look like anything else you are reading on kindle; I've only had 1 that didn't convert right (it had "tables" in the PDF).

If you had emialed the PDF to your kindle from yourkindlename@free.kindle.com address w/ convert in the subject line it would have converted the PDF to a mobi file & you would be able to change the font. (this is for the $139 Kindle, not 3G one).

Would it matter if you emailed from the wifi with 3g one? I don't have mine handy but I would think it's like viewing a PDF on your computer, the PDF file has a zoom function at the top of the tool bar and you need to change the size there in the PDF tool bar. Will check in a bit when I get up stairs as I can't remember what I do. Mary

Ok, when I put my PDF's on my Kindle the other day I didn't actually CHECK them after putting them on. I just went to read a pattern on the Kindle and its very small letters and when I click the Aa button there are no letters there to make the type larger. Am I doing something wrong? Can you all read your PDF's ok on the Kindle?

If you had emialed the PDF to your kindle from yourkindlename@free.kindle.com address w/ convert in the subject line it would have converted the PDF to a mobi file & you would be able to change the font. (this is for the $139 Kindle, not 3G one).

I just got my Kindle. I love my PDF patterns on it. If you have the $139 version you can email the PDFs to the Kindle for free; something about the Wi-Fi Amazon told me AT&T make them charge for.

Yes you would email from your computer using your amazon email address on your account I think is how it works, have never done it since I figure it's just as easy to hook it up to the computer. I had wifi set up in my home already before I got mine but if not then you just use the 3g if you have it. I love having the 3g because on trips if I decide I want to download a book I don't have to stop some where to find a wifi connection. Mary!

Well I guess I did know it was 15 cents per MGB as I had saved a link about that from the amazon site but the amazon info makes it sound like there is a fee no matter what you are using. Mary

• Kindle (U.S. Wireless) user: We'll send personal documents to your Kindle via Whispernet while inside the U.S. wireless coverage area for a fee of $.15 per megabyte.
  • Kindle (Free 3G) user living in the United States: If you transfer personal documents to your Kindle via Whispernet while inside the United States, the fee is $ .15 per megabyte. When traveling outside the United States, a fee of $.99 per megabyte will apply.
  • Kindle (Free 3G) user living outside the United States: We'll send personal files to your Kindle via Whispernet for a fee of $ .99 (USD) per megabyte anywhere in the world you access Whispernet service.

My question came after sending 25+ PDFs & not seeing a charge. I called Amazon Cust Svc - the guy told me about since I don't have 3G to use the @free.kindle.com address to ensure I never get charged. Sorry I don't know the ins & outs, I just know that emailing my patterns to Kindle (primary reason for purchase) is the kewlest thing since wheels on luggage!

Ok, when I put my PDF's on my Kindle the other day I didn't actually CHECK them after putting them on. I just went to read a pattern on the Kindle and its very small letters and when I click the Aa button there are no letters there to make the type larger. Am I doing something wrong? Can you all read your PDF's ok on the Kindle?

I just got my Kindle. I love my PDF patterns on it. If you have the $139 version you can email the PDFs to the Kindle for free; something about the Wi-Fi Amazon told me AT&T make them charge for.

Thanks for all the comments. I made the purchase and can't wait to get my Kindle.

Ohh I am so excited for you. I have gotten so many nice free books off the amazon site for mine plus they have some free games too there you can get. If the nook color would have came with the free 3g I would have gone that route but decided on this so I can check my email any where while out and about and not have to worry about being where there is wifi. Mary

My ds just got an Ipad, and it does seem like a wonderful gadget.

However, I just got a Nook color for Christmas, so I think I will have to be content with that. I have lots of patterns in PDF format on it, but I find them hard to read, because the writing is so small. I think there must be a way to make the print bigger, but I haven't figured it out yet.

acraftylady is correct. I have a 3G iPad, you set up a seperate data account, it's not connected to any other account, the iPad even gets its own phone number (just for account reference, I think). There are 2 data plans, 250M ($14.99) or 2G($25.00) per month, and I don't even come close to using the 250M because there are so many free hotspots around. No contract, cancel when you want and start back up again.

If this sounds like an iPad ad...well, I love my iPad and I'm a total enabler. :D My 70-year-old Mom has one now and hardly ever puts hers down!

Archived