Kindle for viewing crochet patterns

llshiff

Question

Has anyone used a Kindle or any other ereader for viewing pdf crochet patterns that are downloaded from Annie's attic or the digital crochet magazine. Do the patterns, pdf files and images come out okay?

I would love to be able to carry my patterns around without the weight of a book and without having to print them each time.

Thanks for your help, as this is a big purchase for me, and I don't want to make a mistake.

• Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if you already pay for a connection for the net book any where then you can just put the kindle for PC app on it to read the books so I wouldn't get a kindle just to surf the net if you already have a connection any where that is better. I got the retro pink skin and love it. If you follow them on facebook you can get discount codes sometimes and they ship really fast. Trying to decide on a skin for the laptop now. I crocheted myself a case until I can get the cover with the built in light. I posted the pattern over in the freebie section. Mary!

I have browsed my kid's school website... my blog.... there is no limit. I'll say that the way the page refreshes (whatever technology it is that makes it look like a page in a book) has a hard time with some websites which makes it not optimal for regular, general internet surfing.

I have had mine for several months and there is no fee to use the 3G... but like I said, it's not optimal. It's good for reading books and patterns hehehe

So again - I have been charged ZERO for using it, wifi and 3G for any downloads and the files I've sent to it. I personally love.

EDIT: I live in a city of about 100,000 people (not very big at all) and no, I'd say we have no hot spots hehehe If I were in Chicago, then maybe... but not here.

Yes it's like browsing the net on a cell phone. I would love to have laptop connect anywhere on my laptop but don't want to spend the money every month and can't afford smart phone fees so this works in the car to pass the time then in hotels I can just connect the laptop into their wireless. Mary

From all you are saying I am thinking the 189.00 one is the one I need...well want, need is probably not the right word...LOL they have them in almost every ad in the newspaper the last couple of weeks, makes it very hard to resist... so I guess before we go to AZ I better get one picked up... thanks for all your info.. It will give me something to mess with while DH is having surgery and all his appointments...

I have browsed my kid's school website... my blog.... there is no limit. I'll say that the way the page refreshes (whatever technology it is that makes it look like a page in a book) has a hard time with some websites which makes it not optimal for regular, general internet surfing.

I have had mine for several months and there is no fee to use the 3G... but like I said, it's not optimal. It's good for reading books and patterns hehehe

So again - I have been charged ZERO for using it, wifi and 3G for any downloads and the files I've sent to it. I personally love.

EDIT: I live in a city of about 100,000 people (not very big at all) and no, I'd say we have no hot spots hehehe If I were in Chicago, then maybe... but not here.

Oh I should say the kindles browser uses I think AT&T service for the 3g signal, that is who they contract with I am pretty sure so it's like using internet on your cell and it's completely free for life from kindle.

Now it will use up quite a bit of battery surfing the net for a long time but my cell phone charger for the car has a USB port on it and I can plug the kindle into that USB port and keep it charged that way while we are on a driving trip so when I surf while hubby is driving I won't run out of battery power so might check if your car charger for your cell has a USB port. Mary

That was the selling poing for me free 3g for life on the kindle, it has a browser so I can read and respond to the ville from my kindle and check my email by way of aol.com. It's not as fast as your home computer but it's nice when I am out and about waiting for car repairs or what not I can browse the message boards I visit.

The nook I hear has like a droid type browser now update so you can get apps like you get for the smart phones I heard but the nook color didn't have free 3g or I would have gone with that. Don't know about other readers but the $189 kindle does come with free 3g for life and the wifi so the more money was worth it to me. Mary

VOnnie, I have the 3G and one thing I like about it is I can connect to the internet anytime, anywhere and surf all I want. No charge!

I've never heard that before, for any of the 3G eReaders...if that was the case everyone would buy one just to use the free unlimited use internet.

What does happen is you can go on the eReader's brand site, barnes & noble etc., and have unlimited use of THEIR sites from anywhere but once you try to check email or something it doesnt work. It has to be within a hotspot or using their free sites only.

Chances are you live in a big city and have hotspots around when you try.

HI ladies:

I new to this post cause as you might know i got gifted a kindle I got it about a week and half agio..

I'm loving it and still learning how to's.

I'm enjoying reading all the posts here..

I have yet not tried to put pdf's patterns onto mine but will get to it soon i hope so this will help me lots...

thank you all and keep the posts coming here and on my post too when you can.

hugs

Lillibet

VOnnie, I have the 3G and one thing I like about it is I can connect to the internet anytime, anywhere and surf all I want. No charge!

First of all the passworded one worked fine, you just type in the password and hit submit on the kindle and it opens.

What I do to load the files is first I click menu on the kindle then hit create new collection and make a folder called crochet patterns. That is how you make folders to sort stuff if you want.

Then I use the cable to hook the kindle to the computer, the plug that goes into the wall comes off and becomes a USB plug for the computer. After you hook it to the computer you will get a message that you need to eject if you want to read or shop while continuing to charge so for putting files on you don't want to eject and leave it as is with that message.

With the eject message on the screen go into my computer and you will see the kindle drive listed. Click it then click the documents folder and drag and drop the pdf files into there.

Then unhook the kindle from the computer and you will see those fies show up in the list. Use the square button and hit it on the right then hit add to collection and scroll to the folder called crochet patterns and it will go in there, can do that for all of them and that's basically it. Mary

I think the iPads must be great, but I really can't go that high right now. How is the charge structure set up on those and are the costs high? Is it a separate data account from say your DSL or cellphone account?

If you want internet any where on the Ipad then yes you pay for it monthly spepearte from what you pay for at home for your computer but from what I understand there is no contract to sign so if you are going away and only want it for 1 month then you can just get it for 1 month to use then cancle so kind of a nice deal as you can start and stop it anytime you want.

The samsung table is the same with verizon, a tad cheaper and my friend got one and I think I like it better than the Ipad. Mary

The iPad, while a bit more than just an ereader, works great for viewing pdf files (and adding notes to them).

I think the iPads must be great, but I really can't go that high right now. How is the charge structure set up on those and are the costs high? Is it a separate data account from say your DSL or cellphone account?

Mary,

Thank you so much! I'm going to try that in a few minutes. I have tons of patterns I would love to take with me without having to take the actual paper pattern! I soooooo appreciate this!

The iPad, while a bit more than just an ereader, works great for viewing pdf files (and adding notes to them).

Just put a ton of patterns on my Kindle! Thank you Mary for the instructions. Very easy to do. In case you all don't know it I tried putting one of my Crochet World magazines on it and its perfect on there. So now I have a collection of Crochet World on it too!

I bought myself a Kindle last Oct. but I haven't thought about doing anything but read books on it! Wow, thanks ladies! Now I'll have to try putting some pdf files I have on my computer on my Kindle! Don't know how to do that though. Mary, how do you transfer pdf's to the Kindle?

Oh and you can enter a password I am sure because there is a keyboard to type since you can use the internet on the kindle. All my patterns on there right now are free ones but I will go and load a password one to make sure and get back to you. Mary

Archived