Overwhelmed by my yarn stash....need ideas

MyGirlFriday

I have been crocheting on and off for about 11 years....and I have been "stashing" yarn for just as long.

I have about 20 extra large totes of yarn.....from cottons, to thread, to yarn you name it..... I have it in those tubs. My hubby took all my yarn tubs over to my dads house where there is lots of extra room. When I want yarn I go and "shop".

Today I went and did some "shopping" and I was very overwhelmed by all of the yarn that I have collected over the years. I just can't believe that I have all of the yarn that I do. I need to find a few projects that will take alot of yarn to do. I would really like to destash and use up some of when I have.

I need to find a couple of projects that would use up alot of yarn. I have been thinking about a couple of large afghans/bedspreads in multi colors.......maybe a colorful jacket.......but I really need some ideas.

I could use some serious help here.

Anyone have some ideas as to what I can hook up that would use alot of yarn, be functional and beautiful???

mgf~:yay

You could also start crocheting squares with the leftovers. Eventually, you'll have enough for an afghan or shawl. :c9

Of course, I'm the one who could take my own advice! I have THREE under-the-bed containers and several totes FILLED with yarn!!! :lol

2 strand ghans. I LOVE doing round ripples with 2 strands so that I can shade them, a flannelghan (it's heavy), a 2 strand solid color ripple (there's a pattern for it here - I think it's called Easy Ripple)

Then you also have the 'Wool Eater' ghan - that's supposed to use a lot of yarn too.

I would go thru the totes and pick out the yarn that you're really never going to use, don't like the feel of or colors that are icky to you now. You can always put it up on craiglsist, donate or sell right here at the ville.

I really like my stash but I did have to go thru it and take out the yarn that I know I'll never use. Then I replaced it with stuff that I love. My example didn't actually make my stash smaller- it just made it more usable.

Many good suggestions already, but I'll toss in this one too: Vintage Vertical Stripe Afghan. This one could easily be double- stranded; personally, I'd do the stripes in one strand of a base color(such as black) and the second strand whatever color lands in my hand next. While the pattern says to break the yarn for each row, that isn't necessary if you'd prefer to make the colored bands wider. Just always do the two dc in the last stitch of each row before turning, and things are good. This is the one to do while watching movies, yet the variations are countless.

I used to have that problem! But then, in June, I started teaching a Crochet Class at our local Senior Center every Monday morning. Each week, I'd take in a tote bag full of some of my yarn stash, for my "girls" to pick through. It was like a feeding frenzy!!:eek Now my yarn stash is almost down to nothing--which is good and bad! :scrachin The bad: I now have to buy yarn for my own projects! The good: the new yarns are SO wonderful, and I no longer feel guilty buying more yarn!! :whew

:crocheting Collette

WOW~:clap

Ya'll mentioned some great ideas for using up my stash.:hook

I love all of the ideas. Think I will start with the vertical stripe one to start with. I love the idea of mixing colors and thought I could maybe do a couple of those for my daughters.

I love the look of the "wool-eater" one. I think that would look pretty is all different colors too....Might try that one next winter. (it would be really hot to work with here in Texas during the spring/summer months.)

Thanks for all of the ideas.

I'm still game for more...keep them coming!!

mgf~:yay

I recently used up a whole giant trash bag of odds and ends of yarn, some of it has been kicking around here for more than ten years.

I made six scatter rugs, both round and oval, using between four and six strands of yarn with an "M" or "P" hook. I used up a lot of baby and sock yarn scraps, mixing it with several strands of worsted.

They work up fast, I was able to make one in just a day or two. One I started in the AM and gave it to a friend when we met for supper, even had enough time to run it thru the washer and dryer, too, before I left to meet her.

They range in size, anywhere from 2 to 4 feet across. I'm using them now on both sides of the bed, in the bathroom and in front of the sink. The great thing about them is how easy it is to wash and dry them and they come out looking all nice and fluffy again.

It's the best use of old odds and ends of yarn I've come up with. Everyone that sees them wants to make one with their scraps, too.

I recently used up a whole giant trash bag of odds and ends of yarn, some of it has been kicking around here for more than ten years.

I made six scatter rugs, both round and oval, using between four and six strands of yarn with an "M" or "P" hook. I used up a lot of baby and sock yarn scraps, mixing it with several strands of worsted.

They work up fast, I was able to make one in just a day or two. One I started in the AM and gave it to a friend when we met for supper, even had enough time to run it thru the washer and dryer, too, before I left to meet her.

They range in size, anywhere from 2 to 4 feet across. I'm using them now on both sides of the bed, in the bathroom and in front of the sink. The great thing about them is how easy it is to wash and dry them and they come out looking all nice and fluffy again.

It's the best use of old odds and ends of yarn I've come up with. Everyone that sees them wants to make one with their scraps, too.

I'd love to see pics if you have them!

Don't dump your scraps! Those remnants would make wonderful striped beanies for gifts or charity. Another good use is to put the balled leftovers in a bag, close your eyes and pick two. Using whatever comes out, chain 25 or so (double stranded) with an h hook. Sc around both sides of the chain til you have a square or rectangle..then crochet the top closed, make a chain for hang-up- loop, and you've got a very thick hotpad to keep, gift, or sell in a craft fair. If you run out of one or more of the colors you begin with, that's just dandy, repeat the random choosing process and pick two more colors to add to the mix. The random look is part of the fun. These are really fun if you have leftover variegated yarns to play with.

WOW!!!!! How do you wash it?

It fits in our washing machine (standard size) though there's not much room to spare. Wash on gentle cycle and dry on low... It's made out of Red Heart Super Saver and Loops and Threads Impeccable, so it's pretty durable and doesn't need super special treatment.;) The trick is to get the weight evenly spread out in the wash tub, or it can get a bit wobbly and noisy.:lol

• 4 months later...

If you find that you have balls less that three or four inches in diameter in your stash making little pouches and bracelets work well these two bracelets used up two balls each. :D

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/malisa6/Crochet/101_7286.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/malisa6/Crochet/101_7288.jpg

Archived