Project Underway - Need Input!

So, my husband and I have a huge project underway and I am looking for input from all of you.

The question is: What MUST be in a well-stocked craft room?

Could all of you PLEASE just list a few things you would consider essential and maybe a few that would just be nice to have? I would appreciate all the help I can get!!!

For me the essentials would be plenty of electrical sockets and good lighting, both overhead and additional task lighting, lots of storage space and a big tabletop (I sew at the kitchen table & cut my patterns on the living room floor - far from ideal!) and a comfortable chair :)

Depending on your craft, definitely a work station. Whether that be a desk for doing jewelry or a large table for cutting patterns/material for sewing.

Lots of organized storage. Nothing worse than needing something and you can't find it or you have to go through boxes and bins to get to it.

I agree on lighting but also like hardwood floors.

Job specific tools. Scissors for sewing should never be used in the kitchen ect...

good lighting, rotary cutting mat and system, paper cutting system, cricut machine, sewing machine, acid free paper and storage for it, large work table for cutting and blocking large items, acid free pen collection, adhesives of all kinds, clear bins for yarn and fabric storage, drawers for sticker and die cut paper storage, sewing thread, floss storage, rustproof pins, rubber stamps and inks, paint and brushes, and of course a computer with some important programs...pc stitch and filet crochet...and of course a printer, a book case for pattern book storage, looseleaf binders for more pattern storage, a system for listening to music while crafting, dedicated scissors or all sizes, storage for tools and a blocking board for filet items

of course another necessary item in this craft room would be....ME:lol

I would sit in the empty room and first figure out where I want to work. I would have all of my stashed items gathered together so that I know much storage I will need. From that point, I would figure out what's going to fit where, making sure that I didn't pack it so full that there's no room to work... or find anything for that matter.

I've spent MANY years working in offices. Some were brand new spaces "supposedly" designed just for that type of work. Every last one of them was a failure! In my opinion... it's because they had a CONTRACTOR design the space - not someone who works in that type of setting every day.

Take out the time to plan carefullly. There's nothing more frustrating than realizing that you could have done things in a much better way if you had taken out the time to plan everything ahead. I think that once you've got your work area designated, you will find that you probably won't have all the storage space that you thought you did.

Just my humble opionon :)

Bob

We're actually in the process of moving my craft room from a spare bedroom to the finished half of the basement (and moving my hubby's computer desk to the spare bedroom). So I'm going from roughly 120 sq ft to 800 sq ft for a craft room. :cheer:clap:c9:c9:c9:c9:c9:c9

My requirements: A very comfortable chair to crochet/knit in. Sturdy table for sewing machine. Table for cutting fabric. Another table for cricut, cuttlebug, and other scrapbooking machines. Yet another table for actually doing scrapbooking. Plus a whole wall filled with storage cabinets for yarn, fabric, and scrapbooking stuff!

And good lighting.

And...

And...

And...

I could add soooo much more!

Since my ideal craft room would be just for my crocheting (and knitting once I teach myself how), I would have to have a comfy rocking chair with ottoman, a light afghan or blanket for my lap (a heavier one for cooler days), a small fridge nearby with my sodas and water inside and maybe a small stereo to listen to. Of course plenty of light sources are a must. At least a couple of good windows and several lights so that I could see no matter what time of day or night I wanted to work.

Congradulations on your new craft room!!

It would be nice to have plenty of light, not just artifical but also windows for natural light. Plenty of tables and storage. A closet with shelves and drawers for storage. Bookshelves for all your craft books and magazines. Internet access. TV. Comfortable seating.

Good luck !! Post a picture when completed.:)

I would love to have a counter top height (or comfortable standing height) island big enough to cut out patterns, lay out quilts, do rotary cutting, etc. It would have tons of storage underneath with drawers, electric outlets and a built in fridge.

Its fun to dream!!!

Jill from WI

My IDEAL crafting room, would be, oh I don't know, something along the lines of HOBBY LOBBY! he he he. Seriously, I might suggest a plant or two, to absorb some of that lose fiber floating in the air, and of course a phone, an ott light, some diet coke, and a box of Lindor Truffles...perfect.

i need magazine holders for my magazines and leaflet for on the bookshelves. the ones that have the slot on the end to label the contents. lighting with "daylight" bulbs. telephone and internet access. i personally prefer storage bins to open shelving since my craft room is in the basement. i like the clear bins with snap on lids.

A clock and a radio.

I hate getting up and running to another room just to check the time.

Most of the time, if I'm crafting, I don't want to look up every 5 seconds at a TV program, so I listen to the radio instead. There's a lot of variety on the radio.

My thoughts exactly.

I agree with everything everybody has said! But I'd also want a TV and DVR and a comfortable chair. DH is always watching something I won't want to watch! :lol

Archived