2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Can you name a book that is in a series or set ,or has the same character in all of the books ? I will start -- just saw these today at the store,but havent even read one book from it :

The Evanovich "number" series ...

Your turn,and there are tons of them out there .:yes

The Meg Lanslowe series by Donna Andrews. Each book title has something to do with birds.

Julie, I read a few of Evanovich's books and did not care for them at all. Very predictable, and her heroine, Stephanie Plum, is generally unperceptive and is forever doing something stupid, - so stupid, in fact, that I want to yell, "NOOOOO, bad idea!!!!" Unfortunately, she doesn't learn from her mistakes either. Still, lots of my friends love those books, so I guess it's a matter of taste.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cindy, I found that with her books, too which is why I stopped reading after a few of them....

My current book is a book club selection by Tracy Chevalier called Remarkable Creatures.

I haven't started it yet but the blurb looks like it'll be good.

Other books in a series: not sure if this is what you're thinking of Jules, but there are the Hercule Poirot mysteries by Agatha Christie:)

Great answers, guys

And yep, the Christie books would definitely qualify,since they have the same character in them .

I have never tried the Evanovich books, so am clueless about them .

Another series I never tried are the Cat Who mysteries --never read one, but I know there are many in the set .

There are quite a few series in mysteries with the main character in the title as well as in each of the stories, the Miss Seaton mysteries, the Miss Pollifax mysteries, and the Rabbi mysteries, to name a few.

In looking for a banned book to read I came across Andersonville by MacKinlay Kantor. It won a Pulitzer prize and based it on 40 years of reading and research on the Civil War. It is fiction but based on truth. It is a huge book but spell-binding. I read it in 10 days. The people in it come across as real people. I chose it in part because one of my great-grandfathers spent time in Andersonville and spoke of eating cockroaches for food while there. (I know. Ugh! But if you are starving you'll eat anything.) It is a book that treats the war and the horrors of war in a very down-to-earth manner. We see its impact on the soldier of both sides, on the civilians on the edges and in the midst of it, on those with power and those with none, on the cruel and on the gentle. It is a book well worth reading. 5+ stars.

Wow, Linda !

Andersonville in 10 days -- I gotta say I am truly impressed . I love reading about the Civil War ,and this has long been a book I have wanted to read,but I think the sheer SIZE of it has put me off . I used to love thick books, the thicker the better,and I think I still DO, but right now I have trouble concentrating for that long a time on one book. I hope I can someday get back to that place where I would check out the thickest books from the library and read them fast as I could just to go get more .

It definitely sounds like a really super good book . Thanks for sharing .

I need to get back on the stick with my list. I can't even recall the last book I completed . Time to get back in gear I think .

Good Morning,

It's good to know I'm not the only one that has about 50 different things going on all at the same time. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with it all, but lately I've tried to relax. I tell myself that God is in control and if I just sit back and let Him steer me He will get me where I need to be in life.

I have finished a couple of books. The False Friend (author-can't remember). It started out good but then it lost me. It was about a woman whose bff disappeared when they were 11 yr. She told everyone the girl was kidnapped but 20 yr later she says she fell in an abandoned well. Everyone seems to agree the girl was kidnapped except the woman. I couldn't figure out if the woman was mental or if she had just blocked the memory the ending kind of left me hanging. 2.5 stars.

I also read Judy Moody book 1 by Megan Macdonald. My niece and nephew spent a few days with me last week. So this wasd our bedtime story. I've started reading Friendship Bread by Darien Gee. So far this is a really good well written book. There are about 4 main characters so far. Each seems to be strugglling in life with different problems. A bag of starter for Amish Friendship Bread shows up on the door step of one of the characters and it has blossomed from there. I'm about 6 chapters in. I'll keep you posted. Oh yeah, I think I've found my author that someone recommends (Francine Rivers).

Tina, I selected Friendship Bread as my choice for my neighborhood book club...and we did a Skype interview with Darien at our monthly meeting, too! I found her on FB.

Hi guys

Thought I'd make a check in here and say I am reading yet ANOTHER true crime. They seem to keep my attention more when lots of things are clunking around in my head . This one isnt very thick and the print is big so it should go quickly .

Tina

Yep, I think we all have those times now and then when life smacks us upside the head about 14 times in a row . I'm glad we get rest breaks in between .

Hope you find a book you like a lot .

Jude

That would have been neat to be in contact online with an author . I emailed 2 authors that both responded to me, I was so excited about that .. pretty neat to hear back from them .

Tab

Sorry -- buying the books doesnt count .. I know you have very little time for fun reading with trying to get school finished up,so maybe once that is done, you will wanna pick up something fun to read .

Been awhile since I've been here- or read for that matter---until this week! Of course, being on vacation and not having to go to work everyday sure helps! I finished Protector by Laurel Dewey- a suspense novel- it was a free download for my Nook and I really enjoyed it.

Also finished Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen- actually an audiobook that DH and i listened to on our trek to Maryland and back and we finished listening to it today at home. Very, very good!!! Now I've stsarted reading The Last Surgeon by Michael Palmer (yup- another medical mystery)

As far as crocheting, I've been making stash buster totes- and will be gifting them to my co-workers for Christmas- I'm addicted to this pattern!!!

Been awhile since I've been here- or read for that matter---until this week! Of course, being on vacation and not having to go to work everyday sure helps! I finished Protector by Laurel Dewey- a suspense novel- it was a free download for my Nook and I really enjoyed it.

I must have missed that freebie...sometimes I forget to check:P

Went to the library yesterday to return the audiobook and they had Friendship Bread on audio so I took that out since I remembered that Judy selected it for her book club- It'll be my drive to/from Paradise book to listen to starting on Tuesday.

Went to the library yesterday to return the audiobook and they had Friendship Bread on audio so I took that out since I remembered that Judy selected it for her book club- It'll be my drive to/from Paradise book to listen to starting on Tuesday.

The characters and story lines are interesting - I think, anyway. 90% plus of my book club enjoyed it - a light read.

Hi gang

Currently reading a true crime, about halfway done with it. It says the case was on America's Most Wanted,but I havent watched that for a long time,so don't know anything about it .

The book is called Girl,Wanted : The Chase for Sarah Pender .

It's ok --- not bad,but not great . I'd give it about a C . The true crime books that tell you in the beginning who did what kinda make the book lose its' fizz ....

Anyhow, it's pretty skinny and I got it at a yard sale for a quarter,so cant complain .

I'll have to remember to come in and mark it on my list when done .

I think i forgot to mark one I read a month or so ago, I need to go look at my list to see .

It is by Bill Bryson called The Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid ---it tells about his growing up years,and is really funny plus interesting. If you grew up during the years that he (and I) did, you'd find it neat,because it talks about how things were back in the 50's and 60's -- tv shows, restaurants, candy,etc . Brought back lots of memories .

I'd give it an A .

Hi, ladies - I didn't post a pattern for July - let me know if I should come up with one...I just see where everyone has a lot going on in that area.

Judy, I still haven't finished the shopping bag pattern that you posted two months ago!

Julie, I am working my way through a Bill Bryson book too. I forget the title, but its about his travels through Europe. I read a few chapters at a time and then move on to something else. I enjoy his writing, but not for hours at a time.

Hello,

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July. Just finished reading Atonement Child by Francine Rivers. This was the author recommended to me. I really enjoyed this book. Good characters, hard subject matter.

Also crocheted a pixie hat for one of my dd's friends. May work on a tote for my sisters. Told them I would make them each one about 3 months ago. Guess I better get on it.

Hi everyone

Thanks for the checkin --

Jude ,

It's up to you if you want to post a pattern . As you know, I havent been doing much on the Crochet front,so either way is ok with me . If you want to post one you can,but if not, it's ok too. It does sound as if everyone is keeping busy with things already .

Cindy

I think the book you might be talking about is called Neither Here Nor There . I read it back a few years ago and liked it a lot . I like reading things about travel,mainly because it's places I will never get to see myself ,so it's fun reading about them at least .

Hope everyone is doing well and healthy and happy !

Forgot to take my audiobook in the car yesterday!!! I'm going to rectify that right now- and put it in the front seat so I can start it on the way to work!

I still didn't finish the shopping bag pattern either--thanks for the reminder on that Cindy- forgot I had started it- and then I got swept away making SBT's!!!:lol

Have a good day ladies!

Last night I finished The Tawny Man: Book 2: Golden Fool by Robin Hobb. Another good book in the series with several very unexpected twists in it. I hadn't planned to tackle the third in the series quite yet, but can't stand the suspense of where things were left in this one so it's on to the next immediately. :lol 5 stars.

Out of curiousity, I just totalled up the number of books and crochet projects I've done to see how much should be in my quarter jar. I'm impressed with how much I've earned for charity so far this way. It's a lot more than I expected: $13.75. Great idea Julie.

Hi everyone

Thanks for the checkin --

J

Cindy

I think the book you might be talking about is called Neither Here Nor There . I read it back a few years ago and liked it a lot . I like reading things about travel,mainly because it's places I will never get to see myself ,so it's fun reading about them at least .

Yes, that's it. I'm enjoying it, but its a slow reading sort of book for me.

I like those types of travel books, because I like the personal perspective, as well as a look at places that I'll never visit. I have no real desire to travel.

Linda

You have done terrific on the projects and the reading both ! Very good job !

Cindy

Yea, we dont do much traveling either. We took a few trips when the kids were home, but havent gone much of anyplace for many years now . Maybe one of these days we'll get enough gumption ( and money ) to take a trip again .

Archived