2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning!

I started Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Piccoult in my car yesterday (audiobook to keep me company on my commute back and forth)

Linda- The book you are reading sounds like it must be excellent!!! Have you finished it? (seems that every waking hour not helping Kim is spent with you devouring it). There are just not enough hours in the day to get done everything I want to get done! And now that it is baseball season, I spend more time watching tv (the Yankee games) instead of reading!

Hey ladies :hi

Just stopping in to say hello. I kind of fell away from this thread since I really don't get alot of reading done :( I do try to read daily, but it seems to take me a month to finish a book. But just wanted to stop by for a quick check in :hug

Hey ladies :hi

Just stopping in to say hello. I kind of fell away from this thread since I really don't get alot of reading done :( I do try to read daily, but it seems to take me a month to finish a book. But just wanted to stop by for a quick check in :hug

It takes me that long, too, since I do so many other things:lol

...and long books, well, they get read in between. Somehow:lol

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've got to check in. I've been helping my mom move. Moving is never fun but I'm really glad she is closer to me now.

I haven't got a lot of reading done lately seems like I've been doing alot of crocheting. I did finish the Little House series. I've been trying to read the second book in the Anita Blake series The Laughing Corpse. I don't feel like reading until I lay down at night and then I can only read about 10 pages before I fall asleep. It's not the book it is interesting maybe its just because by the time I get in bed I'm exhausted.

I've been doing some crocheting. The market bag I made for my dd was a hit. My mother in law and my 2 younger sisters have all requested one so I'll be pretty busy doing that for the rest of the month. I'm also working on another baby blanket and hat for my dd's teacher. I worked 2-3 rows on about 4 different patterns before I finally decided on the one I wanted to finish. Sometimes for me a pattern just has to feel right for me to work it.

Has anyone ever done a fabonacci (spelling ?) pattern on an afghan? I saw a scarf pattern done like that but didn't like the looks of it. Would love to see some pics if anyone has any.

Hi ladies

Just a quick jump in . Looks like I have the same answer that some of you do right now-- dont have any new finished books. I DID finish Water for Elephants and loved it, but havent finished anything since then.

Sometimes I go along well and get things accomplished, other times its like I am running in quicksand. Never seem to get anywhere .

Hope everyone is all doing well !

Tina- Sorry I can't help you out there- I've never heard of it, but hopefully there is someone who has and can help you! Moving isn't fun, but it is nice that your Mom will be closer now.

I've fallen off the reading wagon and can't get up- from underneath my pile of WIP's!!:lol (and that includes the beach bag)

Have a good day everyone!

I think I managed to read about a chapter and a half last night :clap Joanne, I haven't even started that beach bag yet, but have some cotton to do it in and the pattern ready to go. I've just been so busy lately and now I went and started a different tote :blush:lol I still have the little book bag to make from january too :eek:lol

I think I managed to read about a chapter and a half last night :clap Joanne, I haven't even started that beach bag yet, but have some cotton to do it in and the pattern ready to go. I've just been so busy lately and now I went and started a different tote :blush:lol I still have the little book bag to make from january too :eek:lol

sounds like my list:lol

I've never heard of that technique either, so I'm no help.

I finished The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel in under 2 1/2 days. I just couldn't put it down. It gets 5+ stars. It was really, really good. My neighbor gave it a 4, but that's probably because of all the detailed cave descriptions. I'm into that sort of thing and enjoyed that as much as the people part, but I think it got old after a while for John. I was envisioning what was being described and loved it. I love caves and have been through quite a few, so it also back a bunch of good memories for me.

Since I was off last week, and working on my granny stripe hospice lapghan, I got through a number of audiobooks. I'll have to check the list at home, but what comes to mind -

Three of the Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott. The Alchemyst, The Magician, and The Sorceress. The library didn't have the fourth one, The Necromancer on CD, so I checked out the book. I found the first three interesting, but about half way through the fourth I just lost interest in the whole thing, so I'm sure I won't finish it. Anyway, the series isn't finished yet (I found out after I had started them) so it wouldn't hve come to any resolution anyway.

Then, just for fun, I started listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, probably my favorite in the series. I haven't listened to or read any HP for a long time, so it's been entertaining. I'm near the end, and will finish it up tonight.

I may go by the library on my way home and pick up The Hunger Games. They have it on CD, and I've been wanting to read the series. With luck, I can finish the afghan tonight while I listen - and start the next. If I can stay awake. I had one the evil 7:30 day shifts today and I'm fading fast.

I second what Judy said, Donna---WOW!!!!!

I've become addicted to the Stash Buster Tote pattern- it works up quick- so my beach bag one in cotton has become a wip- along with two baby blankets----and not much reading getting done, I'm sorry to report!

I haven't been doing much crocheting the last week or so, but I have done quite a bit of reading--A Traitor to Memory by Elizabeth George (crime), Accidents Waiting to Happen by Simon Wood (psychological thriller), and Shattered by Melody Carlson (lame YA semi-Christian fiction kindle freebie).

I've finished another audio book, too--The Prince and Betty by P.G. Wodehouse, but it wasn't one of Wodehouse's best, IMO. I've got to update my reading page.

Now that the holiday is over, I have to get really busy. I've got a ladies' tea on Friday at my house, and on the following Monday, 4-5 American families with multiple children will be gathering at my house for fellowship. I don't even know yet if any of them might stay overnight (some are traveling from a distance to be here). It will be fun, but exhausting this week!

Donna, you are going to like The Hunger Games, I bet. I read that trilogy last summer while I was in the US.

Karen, it's good to see you again! I was thinking about you last night. I'm so happy you at least found time to read. We need some time for us.

I figured life was hectic...:hug:manyheart:hug

Hey,

Finally finished reading Eat, Pray, Love. I'm using it for my travel narrative(she goes in depth describing area shes in) and I'm also using it for Flower on the Cover category (it has flower petals on the cover. It wasn't a book I would normally read so I skimmed a few pages here and there. Her description of the countries were great it made you want to go see it for yourself. She was a little humorous and she didn't leave much, if anything, that happened to her out of this story. I give it 3.5 stars just because I found it a little boring in places.

Also finished up The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton. I'm really enjoying this series. She interweaves fantasy, humor, horror and a little romance wonderfully. I find myself laughing out loud and getting strange stares from my family. I recommend this to people who like the vampire genre, but be warned she is very graphic when she is describing the attack victims.

Still working on crocheting a baby afghan for dd's teacher. Had to rest from it for a few days. Sometimes the ring and pinky finger of my right had gets a little numb and hurts.

I hope everyone had a Happy Easter.

Tina, good luck with the crocheting - so many of us have overuse injuries....:hug:manyheart

Our Easter was very nice, I hope yours was the same....

Hi Folks,

I have been doing some reading,but not much on anything else. I am in a funk, I can't seem to get motivated to crochet. I did read Unbroken,which I think everyone should read. I need to get a good book on tape to listen to while I am crocheting. Any suggestions?

I'm listening to The Hunger Games series, and wow! I really thought I wouldn't be interested in it, but it's a real page turner/can't push the stop button read. I'm about half way through the second volume, Catching Fire. I'm that far because because I kept saying "I've got to stop...I've got to stop..." until the CD in the player ended - in the very wee hours out the morning. I am so glad I started this. The plot sounded very unappealing, but it actuallyl turns out to be far, far better than I expected.

I'm taking tomorrow off to finish putting my apartment back together, but there are certain to be some pretty long breaks while I keep listening to this. It's on CDs instead of my MP3, so I can't listen to it while I work. Bummer.

Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing good. I am officially a divorced woman now, yay !!!!!

I'm glad that's finally over for you!

Hi Folks,

I have been doing some reading,but not much on anything else. I am in a funk, I can't seem to get motivated to crochet. I did read Unbroken,which I think everyone should read. I need to get a good book on tape to listen to while I am crocheting. Any suggestions?

I listen to free audiobooks from Librivox.org while I crochet. For something light and funny, try the Jeeves books or other by P.G. Wodehouse. I also enjoy classics like Pride and Prejudice there, and you can find mysteries, too--lots by Mary Roberts Rinehart (kind of classics). If you want to see how different from Winnie the Pooh A.A. Milne could be, try The Red House Mystery (the only mystery he ever wrote).

Archived