2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Donna- that picture is absolutely amazingly beautiful- very interesting info about Buthan! The Geography of Bliss sounds very interesting- that my just have to be my travel book! I just checked and my library has it as a downloadable audiobook!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
those color names are hilarious.

I just listened to a book for the travel narrative that i would give about a 6 out of 5 - i started it early afternoon, and fortunately it was a day off work because i sat at the table, idly playing mindless computer games, glued to it until it ended at 3 am. I did stop long enough to fix dinner - reading seldom trumps eating! And this from someone who usually finds travel books boring. I don't enjoy traveling at all.

It's eric weiner's the geography of bliss. He takes all the happiness research that's been done in recent years, and decides to visit several of the world's happiest countries, and one of the world's unhappiest countries for contrast. Along with the lively and entertaining descriptions of the countries (some he loves, some he doesn't), he weaves in, to a lesser degree, his own psychological/spiritual journey along the way. The countries that come to mind are the netherlands, switzerland, qatar, iceland, thailand, bhutan, moldovo (the unhappy one), britain (because of a specific happiness experiment they did there), and then a closing chapter on the us. I would highly recommend it.

As i was listening, it occurred to me that i didn't remember ever even seeing pictures of bhutan, at least not to know it, so after i finished, i poked around on the internet. I came across a stunning photo of the tiger's nest monastery, outside the capital. Here's the link - it's the fourth picture down. I was so jaw-droppingly amazed by it, i set it as my desktop wallpaper. That must be one of the world's most difficult construction sites! It was built in the 17th century.

http://www.wayfaring.info/category/countries/bhutan/

wow!!!!!

I need to stop finding hard to put down books. I'm reading a novel I got through interlibrary loan: This Time of Dying by Reina James. It's set in London during the 1918 flu pandemic. The main character is an undertaker. I think that's a first in my reading! I like reading novels set in that period, and I'm enjoying this one.

I think I am going to wait on the beach bag. I'm really wanting to start a hospice lapghan. I just pulled cheerful stash yarn for a granny stripe - I've never made one. It should be a perfect pattern for listening to audiobooks since after it's started, I'm sure it's one you can do on autopilot. My kind of pattern! Now to pick an audiobook....

Hi guys

Just a quick checkin -- Donna the pictures are so pretty. I have always liked reading about travel ,mainly because I probably will never get to most of the places I read about ,so it's kinda like visiting them without leaving home .

It's probably why I like amazing Rae so much too, they always go to such neat places,and probably several I wouldnt be able to find on a map !

I'm glad you have found lots of books you are enjoying ! Our old retired librarian told me once years ago that I was lucky I liked so many types of books,so I would have a huge selection . I dont read nearly as much now as I used to ,but am trying harder to read more this year .

I started Water for Elephants and it seems good . I'll have to see if I stick with it though. I picked up a couple new ones at the library that may move it down the line,depending on how good any of them are .

I started reading a book called Almost Innocent by Jane Feather ( previously published as Brazen Whispers). Im not much for romance novels, but I would have to say that I absolutely dont want to put this book down. Im halfway thru with it and from what Ive read, I give it a 4 out of 5. Ill have to let you know after I finish it if its a 5 :)

Donna- you are going to love the granny stripe- it is mindless after the first couple rows- and perfect to do while listening to a book or watching tv- maybe that's my problem- I'm finding myself watching some shows that I love and now that baseball is back, the Yankee games so it's definitely cut down on my reading.

Joanne - I don't have a tv at this point. Sometimes there are things that I would like to see, but I really don't miss tv at all. That may be one reason I get through so many audiobooks - they're my tv replacement. Years and years ago I used to listen to a lot of radio baseball while I crocheted or cross-stitched. I didn't really care about the baseball that much, but it was agreeable background. My parents were fans of football, and to a lesser extent, baseball, and watched a lot on tv, so crowd noises always have a homey sound to me.

I'm a few pages from the end This Time of Dying - it's relatively short. It hasn't held up as well as I hoped. It will probably still end up as a weak 4, but it started out as a strong five. Still, it's been interesting enough to keep me reading.

Just jumping in to say hi, too. I'm listening to yet another Victorian-era novel, This one called "Olive" by Dinah Maria Craik, an author I never heard of before. It was supposedly inspired by Jane Eyre, but Ms. Craik is no Charlotte Bronte. It doesn't merit being called a classic, but because I enjoy the pace and language of these novels, it's still an enjoyable book for me. Olive is born with a slight deformity that originally causes her mother to reject her, although she later repents and is very close to her daughter. The father, at sea when is child is born, only learns of the defect on his return home, and treats his daughter more as a duty than a beloved child, plus he is furious with his wife for not telling him the truth, and grows estranged from her. Impoverished after the father's death, it becomes Olive's task to take care of her mother, and she turns to painting to support them both. And then she meets her "Mr. Rochester," a man she has reason to dislike, but whom she learns to pity when she realizes he is entirely without faith...and a clergyman at that. I'm not done, but it's easy to see where this is going to end. (Victorian novels are so predictable that way).

Joanne - I don't have a tv at this point. Sometimes there are things that I would like to see, but I really don't miss tv at all. That may be one reason I get through so many audiobooks - they're my tv replacement. Years and years ago I used to listen to a lot of radio baseball while I crocheted or cross-stitched. I didn't really care about the baseball that much, but it was agreeable background. My parents were fans of football, and to a lesser extent, baseball, and watched a lot on tv, so crowd noises always have a homey sound to me.

I'm a few pages from the end This Time of Dying - it's relatively short. It hasn't held up as well as I hoped. It will probably still end up as a weak 4, but it started out as a strong five. Still, it's been interesting enough to keep me reading.

My middle DD doesn't have a TV either- she hasn't now for about 5 years- I can take it or leave it- except for a few shows. There is something about a sports game and the crowd noises!!! My dad watched sports alot- so that's probably where i got my love of sports from!

Just jumping in to say hi, too. I'm listening to yet another Victorian-era novel, This one called "Olive" by Dinah Maria Craik, an author I never heard of before. It was supposedly inspired by Jane Eyre, but Ms. Craik is no Charlotte Bronte. It doesn't merit being called a classic, but because I enjoy the pace and language of these novels, it's still an enjoyable book for me. Olive is born with a slight deformity that originally causes her mother to reject her, although she later repents and is very close to her daughter. The father, at sea when is child is born, only learns of the defect on his return home, and treats his daughter more as a duty than a beloved child, plus he is furious with his wife for not telling him the truth, and grows estranged from her. Impoverished after the father's death, it becomes Olive's task to take care of her mother, and she turns to painting to support them both. And then she meets her "Mr. Rochester," a man she has reason to dislike, but whom she learns to pity when she realizes he is entirely without faith...and a clergyman at that. I'm not done, but it's easy to see where this is going to end. (Victorian novels are so predictable that way).

Karen- just wanted to comment on how beautiful the purple afghan is that you made your DD! Have you now been able to pick up some thread?

Morning ladies !

Donna

That would definitely help if there was no tv in our house, I'd read a lot more I bet . We dont watch a lot of tv either .I never watch it during the day,but some evenings we will watch a particular show. I watch shows on youtube constantly though .

Lacey

Good to hear from you,and glad you are enjoying your book. I'm not a romance reader either,but I used to read some of them back in my younger days .

Karen

Sounds like you have the story figured out in the book you are reading. That kinda ruins part of the fun,doesn't it ? As quickly as you read, you will soon be onto another one though !

I read a little more of Water for Elephants last night. So far it is interesting . Kinda tells bits and pieces of a story ,from an elderly man's viewpoint, then him as a young man,so you kinda see where he is now, but what he did for all those years of his earlier life . So far,so good !

We have a tv, but I never watch it. I'd rather read or craft. or both, although I often get so wrapped up in an audio book, that I end up stopping what I'm doing and jsut ;listen.

I am working my way through a bunch of public domain mysteries. Most are set in early 1900 England, and I find the customs and lifestyles that are described in the novels to be quite interesting. The stories are often predictable, and their prejudices, particularly against other ethnic groups, come out very strongly.

I finished another book last night, Fire Ice by Clive Cussler. I give it 4 stars. This had Kurt Austin as the hero so I enjoyed it more as I haven't read as many of these. Much of it dealt with Russian history carried forward to modern times which also made it more interesting. His characters always seem larger than life in many ways, which makes them rather predictable, although this one did hold my interest better than the last couple which I've started and not finished.

Not sure what I'll tackle next. Guess I'll have to go browsing my unread books to see what catches my fancy. :D

Hi Linda

Yea, Cussler can sure tell some interesting stories . I have Atlantis Found (a Dirk Pitt one ) but havent read it yet . Several years ago, I read quite a few of the Cussler books right in a row, but then moved on. I dont think I have read any of the other character ones,just the Dirk Pitt ,so I am way behind . I like reading pirate ship,buried treasures, etc . I think I readd one about them finding the Titanic ,but can't remember for sure. Been too long ago .

Good Evening,

Joanne--I'm glad to hear you already had the booklet. I've really enjoyed making the patterns from it.

Donna-- that was a fabulous picture. Looks like it would be very peaceful there.

I finished up a pair of fingerless gloves today in time for my dd's best friends birthday. This was the 1st time I have ever used sock yarn. I was worried it would be hard to work with but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Also made a dishcloth 2 days ago. Used size 3 thread for this project was another first time for me. I liked working with the thread the stitches were so small I got a slight headache from straining my eyes. But that wasn't too unusual sometimes I get a headache from looking at any project I'm doing if I work for long stretches of time.

I loved the feel of both of these projects. I'm used to using a much bulkier yarn. I'm thinking of tackling a scarf out of the thread.

Have not done a lot of reading, still trying to make it through Eat, Pray, Love. It's just not holding my attention. I started reading Nightseer by Laurell Hamilton. I don't like it as well as I did the Anita Blake series. I might give up on Nightseer, its a little too sci-fi for my taste.

Karen - Years and years ago I read a quote from someone or other that I have never forgotten. Something to the effect of "Thank goodness for second rate books. If it weren't for them, what would we have to read after we're 25?" I started reading something by her last fall but lost interest quickly, maybe A Noble Life? I don't even remember for sure which it was. Her John Halifax, Gentleman is supposedly pretty good. I may look at Olive sometime. I generally don't mind being able to predict the end - it's the journey that's entertaining.

I finished up those last pages of This Time of Dying, and it dropped to a 3. The end was, I thought, totally inconclusive. It even had a chopped off feel. I guess I'm simple minded and just want writers to wrap things up and spell it out, at least most of the time.

I also finished David Plotz's Good Book, that I've reading a bit here and a bit there for some time. I enjoyed it - I found it an interesting read.

I started the Granny Stripe afghan last night, and LOVE the pattern. It's really is perfect for audiobook time. I see many of them in my future.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the Granny Stripe Donna!! And that you liked Water for Elephants Julie!!!

I watch way more tv this time of year- because I love watching baseball. I'm going to put an audiobook in my car for the trak to paradise tomorrow- Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Piccoult

Tina- I tried a snowflake in #10 thread- and I liked the way the thread felt- but of course the snowflake turned out wonky- I probably missed stitches. I'll be a scarf out of thread would be lovely!

This weekend was a study in opposites for my reading. I finished Only Love by Erich Segal and was bowled over by it and in tears at the ending. It was only after finishing it that I noticed that he was the author of Love Story a book I adored and which also made me cry. The style of this one was totally different from the first, but it was an awesome story. 6 stars.

This was followed by The Name of the Rose by Emberto Eco. 0 stars. A dud no matter how much I tried. I only managed to slog through 10 pages which where filled with Latin and French phrases, which were not translated and which I didn't understand, and some of the wordiest text it's ever been my misfortune to try to plow through.

I then started Night Thunder by Ruby Jean Jensen. The verdict is still out on this one. It has a very dark theme, so we will see if I finish it or not.

I read "The Attenbury Emeralds" by Jill Patton Walsh last week. It is a Lord Peter Wimsey story, (originally a character in books written by Dorothy Sayers.) Walsh does a fairly good job in recreating the characters, and the story was good, but it dragged on a bit in my opinion. The post WW2 English setting really adds to the book.

I'd give it 3.5, mostly because it was so wordy.

Morning all

Linda

I have tried Name of the Rose many times too and never got very far. I think it was pretty popular at one time,and they might have made a movie of it,but not sure,because I dont watch movies.. but I think they did .

I usually like the real nice thick books like that,but maybe I would have to be in a certain mood to tackle it .

Hope you like the other one you started !

Hi Cindy

It sounds like you found another one you liked fairly well ! Whats next on the agenda ?

Joanne

You'll have to let us know how the 19 Minutes one goes .... I'm thinking it might be a rough one to get through, due to the subject matter, but it may give some good insights on the subject .

Linda and Julie, I guess I win the ribbon for Determined Plowing Through, because I actually read The Name of the Rose. I kept thinking it was bound to get better and eventually develop a point since it was so popular. It never did, at least as far as I could tell. You were smart to give it up when you did.

I'm reading The Book of Rachaels by Joel Gross, which I think is a digital only book. It is a long family saga type novel, following a Jewish family from a beginning point in medieval Spain to the present in the US. It focuses on women in the family, who were traditionally named Rachael. The first segment is set in the Spanish Inquisition, and it was hard grim reading - it was a terrible period. I am just into the second, quite a time later in Italy. So far, despite the horrors of the first part, it is quite good and shows a lot of promise if it sustains it to the end.

At least it's better than The Name of the Rose!

Morning all

Linda

I have tried Name of the Rose many times too and never got very far. I think it was pretty popular at one time,and they might have made a movie of it,but not sure,because I dont watch movies.. but I think they did .

I usually like the real nice thick books like that,but maybe I would have to be in a certain mood to tackle it .

Hope you like the other one you started !

It was a movie...and a long dull one, if I remember correctly....it was a lot of years ago.

My reading has slowed down again...

Archived