2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi everyone. just peeking in to say hi, havent been feeling too great lately, but getting better.... :hug

Good to see you - feel better!:hug

I've been in a finishing mode lately, so not as much reading got done. I did finish The Tawny Man: Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb. The last in that trilogy an excellent book, but about twice as long as the previous two. A great read and another winner for Robin Hobb. 5 stars.

Hey everyone,

Haven't dropped by for a while I've been busy with housework and the garden. I have found time to sneak in some reading and crocheting :lol. I've finished 2 books both by the author Suzanne Woods Fisher, The Choice and The Waiting. I enjoyed both books I give them 4.5 stars. They are set in Amish country. This is a series of 3 books called The Lancaster County Secrets. They don't have recurring characters from book to book but they are all neighbors so you have the feeling you already know them. They are romances with a hint of suspense. They have a very strong faith in God. I look forward to reading the next in the series, The Search.

I'm also reading The Road by Cormac MacCarthy. I'm about half way through it. It is not as good as I had hoped it would be. It had been on my list for a long time. It keeps me intrigued just enough to keep reading.

I've crocheted a mohawk baby hat. I'm getting ready to start another one for my dd. I would like to crochet an ugly doll hat for a friend of my dd's. I have only found pics of the hats for sale so I'm going to try to make up the pattern myself. This should be interesting so I'll keep you posted.

Hi, everyone. I finished Class Reunion by Rona Jaffe. It was a good book and went fairly quickly, but had a few too many main characters to develop and keep straight for my taste. Made it read rather jaggedly. 3.5 stars.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just stopped by to update my reading list. I've been reading several amish themed books lately. They have all been very interesting and I've enjoyed them. I think I'll read a book of short stories next.

I've crocheted several hats for my dd's and her friends. I made her a mohawk hat and it turned out kinda cute. I think it was designed more for boys but we used bright pink and bright blue for the mohawk and it turned out great. About 2 days after I made the hat my nephew decided to cut his hair in a mohawk and everyone laughed and said I got so tired of making hats that I just started cutting hair.:lol

Hi again,

Just dropped by the crochet project post. Just wondering are we going to have a project for this month?

I forgot!:eek

By tonight I'll have one up...;)

Hi all

Many apologies for being gone so long again . I will try really hard this time to drop in more frequently . I somehow always let life get the best of me .

I close down and shut things out ,and end up shutting out the GOOD things in my life to try to handle the bad things.

Not smart, is it ?

Anyhow, I do have a few new books to add to my list ,so I have made a little progress in that area .

I am now reading the book by Edward Kennedy called True Compass. It has been very interesting. Always wondered how he dealt with so many terrible tragedies in his life and somehow kept on going .

Hi Jude

Great pattern ! Very useful for yourself,or as a gift. Anyone could use it . I dont think I have seen the ones made like that. The only ones I saw were the ones made with half of a kitchen towel type hanging doodad .

Will have to dig through and see what I might have that would work .

Hi Jude

Great pattern ! Very useful for yourself,or as a gift. Anyone could use it . I dont think I have seen the ones made like that. The only ones I saw were the ones made with half of a kitchen towel type hanging doodad .

Will have to dig through and see what I might have that would work .

I HAVE LOTS OF COTTON...JUST NEED THE TIME TO MAKE IT!:lol

sorry for the caps...forgot they were on.

Hi Jude

Yep, I know what you mean about time -- Your new addition has probably used up some of your free time, but well worth it in the end.You'll be paid back many times over when she becomes more mature and a good companion .

Hi Jude

Yep, I know what you mean about time -- Your new addition has probably used up some of your free time, but well worth it in the end.You'll be paid back many times over when she becomes more mature and a good companion .

that's been our experience!

Lucy has attached herself to Phil, BTW...she follows him all over the house. It's cute to watch. That's fine by me...Sparkie is attached to me, for which I always felt bad, since we got him after our other male died, and HE was Phil's shadow.

Just finished The Uncrowned King: The Sunsword: Book Two by Michelle West this weekend. It's beautifully written and a very good book. My only objection to this series is that there a tremendous number of characters to keep track of. We have major characters, lot of them, from three kingdoms all on the brink of war with each other and all with different motives and objectives. I had a couple of months break between books one and two and it made it a lot harder pick up the threads from book one and carry them over into book two and now book three. But it's fascinating and well worth the time to read in spite of that.

hi,

Hope everyone is doing good. I've finished reading H*** House by Richard Matheson. I'd give it 3 stars. I kept reading just to see how it ended. I've started The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai. I'm about half way through. It's about a librarian who ends up kidnapping a 10 yr old boy. Although it's kinda like he kidnaps her. She's trying to help him but ends up making a mess of her life. So far 3 stars may change after i finish reading it.

On the crocheting front I'm trying to finish up a blanket I've been working on forever. It's like a granny square but in the middle is a rose. I've got all the roses made but now I have to add the leaf round and the finishing round. :faintIt makes me light-headed just thinking about it. And I didn't even mention all the whipstitching required to sew the squares together. I'll keep you posted.

:cheerSchool started here today!!:cheer

Hi ladies ~~~~

Tina

Good for you ,for sticking with the reading ,and also digging out an item that has been a long project,and probably lots of work,from the sounds of it .

Are all the colors of roses the same, or different ?

We'd love to see it when its done if you get the chance .

I finished the Kennedy book,and also one called Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier .It was very good,and I was surprised to find out that it was based on a true story and people . I'd give it a 4 I think, only because it git a little sluggish there in the middle, but then picked back up and ended well .

Hope everyone has a good day and week .

Hi again,

The roses are all the same color (off white). I'm following a pattern used the colors it called for. But the pic of the finished project is very pretty. Would love to show pics of some of my finished projects. Can anyone explain how to attach a picture?

Just wanted to let everyone know that this week marks what would have been author Georgette Heyers 100th birthday and both Barnes and Noble and Amazon have many of her books available as e-books for $1.99.

I don't care much for romances, (although I read them once in a while), but I like many of her mysteries. I bought a bunch of them yesterday, and am currently reading this one. I am about half way through and after a slow start it is moving along nicely. (I am partial to English village mysteries, and that is what this one is.)

If you want to try one of her books before you buy, "The Black Moth" is out of copyright and can be downloaded from here in various formats. It was written when the author was just 15 years old. I haven't read any of her books other than a few mysteries, so I don't know how representative of her work it is. I have noticed that her books generally get good reviews on Amazon and Good Reads.

The same site has quite a number of free ebooks, all authored by women. Most of Lousia May Alcott, Jane Austen and L.M. Montgomery's books are available there. Just click on free ebooks over on the right side.

The Georgette Heyer books are probably available for this price at other ebook sites as well, since the deal is a publishers promotion.

I believe that I read somewhere that the sale prices will run through the 21st.

Archived