2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

I just bought a book called "A pound of Flesh" for a whole Dollar ! I found it at deals :) adn I also Forund " A Little Princess" ( i think thats what its called lol) at walmart for a dollar :)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

Judy--Thanks for the link on how to post a pic. I'll try it out one day when I have more time. I finished reading A Turn in the Road by Debbie Macomber. It was very good i give it 4.5 stars. She brought back some characters from her blossom street series and they took a cross country trip.

Haven't done much crocheting. I was very busy last week I had to be out of the house alot. But I did think to stick a book in my purse for all the wait time.:D

Finished The Shining Court The Sun Sword: Book Three by Michelle West. 740 pages of intricately woven plot and characters. It helped a lot that I went straight from Book 2 to Book 3. I didn't have to rediscover the characters. It got a bit bogged down when Jewel was in The Warlord's sanctuary and on the Winter Road, but other than that was very good. I give this one 4 stars. Now on to Book 4, Sea of Sorrows.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Sea of Sorrows The Sun Sword: Book Four by Michelle West this weekend. Yet another set of characters in this complex cast was developed in this book as their world gets closer and closer to all out war between good and evil. Lots and lots of unexpected twists and turns in this book. 4.5 stars. Reading them one after the other is definitely the way to go with this series. I don't have to relearn the characters this way and the story really has so many twist and turns and interactions between the various factions that I don't feel overdosed.

I loved the twilight series. I read all 4 of them back to back I just couldn't put them down. So far the movies have been great and I'm also anxious for Breaking Dawn to be released. It was the best book and I think it will be the best movie.

I've started reading Next by Michael Crichton as my book over 350pgs selection. I'm only about 50pgs in because by the time I get home of the evenings I'm so tired I only get about 10pgs read before I fall asleep. At this rate it will take me a month to finish it.:lol

I had to abandon the afghan I was working on yet again. It just seems so hectic with school starting back and everything else thats going on. Oh well thats the beauty of crochet it will wait on you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Its been pretty quite on here for a while. Just thought I'd stop in to see if anything new had been posted. I finished reading Next by Michael Crichton. It was ok, I really only kept reading to see how it would end. I was disappointed with that too. I give it 2.5 stars it was a little to sci-fi for me and it talked in complex medical terminology too much. I have another book by the same author I hope it is a little better than this one. I'm still undecided on the next book I'll read. I have one that has a color in the title and I think it is going to be scary. I may read it and double up with it for next months scary book, because it will probably be a week or so into Oct before I get it finished. I've been so busy its been taking me longer than usual to read a book.

Boy can I relate to the business of the season. The time seems to be flying by. Deer hunting season has started and that adds to my craziness as John is an avid hunter, so while he hunts I care for Kim here at home. (I am Kim's companion/care giver and I care for her whenever her husband, John, is at work or otherwise away from home. She has had 3 major strokes and cannot speak.)

I finished The Riven Shield The Sun Sword: Book Five by Michelle West. 5 stars for this one. It moves! Very hard to put down. I stayed up later than I should a lot of nights just because there was no place to stop reading, no breaks in the action. I've start the last in the series and already it's super hard to put down.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I finished The Sun Sword The Sun Sword: Book 6 by Michelle West. It was wonderful and managed to pull all the different threads together and brought the series to a very good conclusion. 5 stars.

Then I read The Shack by William P. Young. Wow! It took me less than 3 days to read. It's heart wrenching in so many different ways and very uplifting, too. Definitely 5 stars. I'm now reading it for a second time and going more slowly so I can stop and ponder the deep messages contained in the second half of the book. There is a LOT to think about in this book. I highly recommend it to anyone, especially if your faith in God has taken a beating lately.

I wish I knew about this challenge before!!! I hope we have one like this next year because I definitely want to join!

Welcome to the group! :welcome Glad to have you join us! :bounce People and posts have been kind of skimpy during the summer as people have had a lot going on outside, but as the weather gets chillier the posts should pick up. What kind of books do you like to read?

:welcome glad to have you. I just joined part way through this year. I have found it a very enjoyable challenge. I've read books I never thought I would and crocheted things I didn't think I could. I also hope we continue it again next year. It has been a little quite in here for a while but we all seem to have been busy lately. Now that it's turning cold and I can't get outside as much I hope to be able to participate more. I just finished up Appalachia to the White House by Joe Dye. 3 stars It was interesting. I also read Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck. Also 4 stars. The Body Snatcher by RL Stevenson 2.5 stars, and The Old Demon by Pearl Buck 3stars.

Way to go Tina! You've been busy with hook and book.

Jude Deveraux is just one of the authors I've been introduced to through this thread. It's funny how I've been introduced to new authors and selections in areas I don't normally read by those in the group who like authors and types of books that are different from my usuals. The others in the group get me interested in them with their reviews. Or I've tried something I wouldn't try because it will fill in a category I don't usually read and I'm suprised to learn that my tastes are changing.

Welcome to the group! :welcome Glad to have you join us! :bounce People and posts have been kind of skimpy during the summer as people have had a lot going on outside, but as the weather gets chillier the posts should pick up. What kind of books do you like to read?

Anything and everything. I'm a total Twi-mom, so I've read the series several times, I'm reading the Fallen series right now, and the Fablehaven series as well. I'm also a Nora Roberts fan, and I pick up almost every free nookbook available every Friday.

I started reading the liturgical mysteries series by Mark Schweizer. I've read the first two, and will be looking for others next time I am in the library. They are entertaining and I enjoy the characters. The mysteries are just so-so, but they are a fun and quick read.

I also check out the free Fridays Nook book each week, but I don't always download them. There are some books I know I would never read.

I'd have to say that Jude Deveraux is my author of the month so far. I've just read 4 of them, spending no longer than 2 days per book. Always is a wonderful ghost story. Velvet Song is set amid the highland clans of the 1500's with enough twists and turns for anyone to enjoy. The Temptress is set in Washington Territory and you aren't sure who's going to end up with whom until the final pages. The Mulberry Tree is a mystery with more twists and turns and unexpected revelations than most. 5 stars to them all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Just finished reading Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens. I enjoyed this book I would give it 3 stars. The main character just felt to dependent for me to like her. I am currently reading The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. This is a true story about her childhood. This book is really good so far. I started reading it online at this website http://freebooksread.blogspot.com/2011/01/read-books-online-free-fiction-novels.html

My local library had an audio book of it, so I got it because I've started crocheting an afghan. It is very easy to listen and crochet (I'm killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.) Speaking of crocheting, will there be anymore patterns posted? I think it's been about 3 months since we have had a new one.

Hey everyone,

Finished reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I give it 5 stars. It was unbelievable some of the struggles and hardships this woman had to go through as a child.

Just finished rereading Breaking Dawn. I'm gearing up for the movie release later this month. Realizing all over again why I fell in love with this series. Almost finished with the afghan I started, all I have left is about 3 rows and attaching the fringe:thair. My frustration with the fringe is worth it because I'm donating it to a good cause.

I've decided that I need to read some classics. I tend to like mysteries, biographies and humorous stories and rarely branch out into other genres.

I started "Awakening" by Kate Chopin. I'm more than halfway through and I'm not sure what I think of it. Its okay, but I am not quite sure why it is considered a classic. It doesn't strike me as anything out of the ordinary, although it probably was back in the late 1890's when it was originally published.

I've decided that I need to read some classics. I tend to like mysteries, biographies and humorous stories and rarely branch out into other genres.

I started "Awakening" by Kate Chopin. I'm more than halfway through and I'm not sure what I think of it. Its okay, but I am not quite sure why it is considered a classic. It doesn't strike me as anything out of the ordinary, although it probably was back in the late 1890's when it was originally published.

Anything that's ahead of its time seems to either get condemned or becomes a classic. That may be what happened with Awakening.

SenoraG ~ Welcome to the group! Feel free to join in with us for the last two months of this year. It's a pretty painless was to earn some money for your favorite charity and their are lots in need.

I've got two more to add to my list of books.

Hooked on Murder by Betty Hechtman is a crochet mystery. And I enjoyed it a whole lot. I had several suspects for "who done it" and none of them were right and one of them ended up dead. The killer was someone I didn't suspect at all. It centers around a group of crocheters of assorted skill levels making an afghan of squares for a charity. I think I'll leave it at that. 4 stars.

Imager by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. is science fiction/fantasy. I've read a few of his previous books, but far from all of them. This one really took my fancy and I'd give it 4.5 stars. Since it's the first in a series, I'll be on the lookout for the next one. It takes place in an alternate universe and is very involved in politics and skulduggery between parties and countries and people with special skills some common is our world and some not.

Archived