Toddler Hoodie

Nema517

Hello and congratulations for completeing the project successfully!!! I am also glad that you posted what it would look like using different yarn as i am in the process of trying to crochet one for my 20 month old daughter. Since you have gone through this project i was wondering if you could help me out with the pattern as i have like you never crocheted an intermediate project before. I was confused as to how to start the rows as the instructions are not very specific. 1st row: 1 sc in first sc Did you sc in the turning ch sc space or did you considered the first sc from the hook after the ch1 sp as the 1st sc? Likewise for row 2. Please help. I would really appreciate your advise and help on this.

Hello and congratulations for completeing the project successfully!!! I am also glad that you posted what it would look like using different yarn as i am in the process of trying to crochet one for my 20 month old daughter. Since you have gone through this project i was wondering if you could help me out with the pattern as i have like you never crocheted an intermediate project before. I was confused as to how to start the rows as the instructions are not very specific. 1st row: 1 sc in first sc Did you sc in the turning ch sc space or did you considered the first sc from the hook after the ch1 sp as the 1st sc? Likewise for row 2. Please help. I would really appreciate your advise and help on this.

Hi. I had a little trouble understanding a couple things, too. I put the first sc in the turning ch sp so there would not be a gap. Once you get started, the pieces work up really quickly. Sewing the pieces together took a lot of patience, though. One more thing--the pattern doesn't tell you what size buttons you need (at least, I didn't see it). I was planning on using 3/4" buttons, but they were too small. I ended up getting 1 3/8" ones. I hope that helps and answers your questions. :) If you have any more questions let me know. Good luck!

Thanks for the congrats. :)

Nema thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate you helping me out with this. Could you please write out for me the directions the way you remember crocheting it for just the 2 rows. Also when you counted the stitches how many did it come to? i keep getting 52 for the rows and don't understand what i am doing wrong. I really hope to complete this project.....right now i am about to lose it...lol...especially since i am trying to attempt to gauge so many times guessing where to put the stitches and counting and re-counting!!!! lol...i just can't wait to get it started.

It's no problem, Amandiy. I followed the first two rows exactly from the pattern. The pattern does not count the turning chain as a stitch so if you are counting that then you would come out with 52 stitches. Let me explain why I say this: To start you ch 52. If you were to sc in each ch starting with the 2nd from the hook that will be 51 stitches. If the turning ch is counted as a stitch it would have to say 52 stitches. I could be wrong about this because I'm not an expert but that is why I think the turning ch is not a stitch. Hopefully that makes sense.

So I chained 52 and sc in the 2nd ch from hook. Then I chained one, skipped the next ch st and sc in the next. So you sc in every other stitch chaining one between each sc. Then you ch 1 and turn. On the next row I sc in the first sc--the one that the turning ch is kind of hanging off of--not the chain itself. During the entire pattern you will be sc in the ch 1 spaces made on the previous row and ch 1 between each sc. Since row 1 ended with a ch sp and then sc in the last st, after you do the first sc the next st is that ch space. So you will sc in that ch sp, ch one, and sc in the next ch space. So you will be doing a sc in each ch sp and chaining one between each stitch. If the last stitch in this pattern falls on the last stitch of the row then you are done and ch 1 and turn. If it falls on the next to last stitch then you single crochet in the last stitch and then ch 1 and turn. On the next row you simply go with the pattern. Some rows will begin with a sc and then a ch sp. On these you will sc in the sc and the ch sp and then ch one and go from there. Other rows will begin with two single crochets. On these you will sc in first sc, ch 1, sk that next sc and sc in the ch sp, ch 1 and go from there. These rows will alternate.

I hope that explains it well. If not let me know and I will try to reword it. :)

Thanks a million for the reply and helping me out with this i am soooo glad that i found you on here and you accomplished this project successfully. I don't want to be a bother but I have one last question. I get the crocheting along in the ch1 spaces but I guess i was trying to follow instructions verbatim, but on 1st row then should it be 1sc in first sc then ch1 before crocheting in the next ch1 sp??? There just is no mention of ch1 after the sc and i tried the pattern without a chain 1 after the sc in the 1st sc and it didnt seem normal but when i included a chain after the 1st sc it felt like it was the right thing to do. So when i take this approach and crochet all the way to the end of Row 2 it does not end with 2 sc for me as the instructions say. Is anything i am saying making sense?? lol....:think because i am confused.....lol....so what did you do in the 1st row did you chain after your 1 sc in first sc or did you just sc directly into the ch1 sp?

@dobermama: Thanks a lot!

@Amandiy: I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Think of that first sc as an anchor and the pattern starts with the next stitch. So on each row you start with a sc. Then if a ch sp is next, go ahead and sc in it without a ch 1. This row will end with 2 sc. On the next row you do your "anchor" sc and the next st is a sc so you will ch 1, skip that sc, and sc in the ch 1 sp. I hope that explains it well. Btw, you're not bothering me. :) If you have more questions let me know. I'm happy to help.

Thank you so much for your help Nema this makes sense now to me. I hope you had a happy thanksgiving! :)

I did. Thank you. I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving, too. I'm glad I could help with the pattern. Have fun with it. :)

Archived