Kufi...

Cordelia

I've been wanting to make a kufi for ages, but not able to find one I liked. So I just got some #3 thread and winged it. I sorta like the results, but was hoping for a more masculine feel. Thanx for looking!:hook

Kufi1.jpg

Kufi2.jpg

By the way I totally heart #3 thread...this was my first time working with it.

Thanks for the comments y'all! :hug

crochetdivaTotally awesome!! Looks good on you.

Can you believe thats my baby in that pic?! BOOHOOO! Shes 12!

swapnaeHaven't the vaguest idea what a kufi is, but maybe if you reduced the top, it would look more masculine?

I'm not giving up Swapna... Im gonna mess with it till I get the look I want!

Kufi is traditional a islamic head dress. Basically its a skull cap made of thread.

dsa0901Very cool! The #3 thread rocks!

I so love this thread Deneen... I can see so many items made from it!

And I will work on a pattern! At least try!:eek

Yes thats them Swapna! I love the diamond designs etc.....but thought I'd give #3 a go.....I saw them in an old movie the kufis were being made by prisoners... and while the men sat and talked they would crochet these kufis, lots of close ups of them crocheting. I wanted to make one since then!

Here is a link:

http://www.simplyislam.com/iteminfo.asp?item=50054

I :heart the kufi! I've made several out of yarn, but never in thread. Do you find working with #3 thread easier than working with #10? Also, did you use one or two threads held together? All I've been using is #10 and I find it difficult to keep on my hook. Of course, I've just begun crocheting with thread. :hook

I :heart the kufi! I've made several out of yarn, but never in thread. Do you find working with #3 thread easier than working with #10? Also, did you use one or two threads held together? All I've been using is #10 and I find it difficult to keep on my hook. Of course, I've just begun crocheting with thread. :hook

Thanx to the doliy swap I finally used #10 thread and gained a big old love for it! But for some reason #3 put me off, I guess because I could find no patterns for it! But being the dork I am realizes this was just an excuse cuz I rarely go by a pattern! LOL! I used one stand of #3 for the Kufi. And I used a 0 hook. The only thing I can compare it to as far as working with is sports weight (a tad smaller) yarn. I never got any pulls, you know how when your hook gets stuck inbetween the plies? Infact since buying that ball I have found several patterns for #3 and they call for a c-e hook! Once you get a feel for it I'm sure you will begin to image what you can make with it! #3 just seems to scream clothing to me! Bell sleeves and boho vest, and handbags!

Thanx for the compliments! They sure encourage a hooker!:hook:hug

Archived