New Bernat Crochetalong - did you see this?

WVUAlesha

I am so stinkin' excited!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay I actually made a square mitered square. :D So here's how I did it -

1. I really over exaggerated how loose I made the sc3tog. I mean, seriously loose to the point that I couldn't make it any looser.

2. I made the sc on the edges (beginning of each round) very loose also.

3. As I worked, I gradually loosened up all of my stitches.

4. I made the square from big to small. I'm going to try later to do the square small to big, but I almost don't want to jinx it since it worked. :lol

Here's a picture of my "square" square!

[ATTACH]29273[/ATTACH]

I did pretty much the same thing with the same amazing results... I've gone from HATING this square to really liking it (you know, now that it's actually square)

Debating whether or not I should re-do my first one or leave it and try to block it to the right size...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't decide on remaking mine either. I probably will remake them unless blocking them produces some amazing results.

I liked the square from the beginning. Well, I liked it in theory (how I knew it would look).

I'm glad to hear you got yours square too!!!

I am so stinkin' excited!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay I actually made a square mitered square. :D So here's how I did it -

1. I really over exaggerated how loose I made the sc3tog. I mean, seriously loose to the point that I couldn't make it any looser.

4. I made the square from big to small. I'm going to try later to do the square small to big, but I almost don't want to jinx it since it worked. :lol

[ATTACH]29273[/ATTACH]

Awesome job, Nicole!!! And you should be excited!! That really is a "square" square!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I'm still going to do the increasing method since it's easier for me to count up especially when I'll be watching the Yankee game with their season on the line!:eek

I did the first of 16!! And I did it the "increasing" way and it came out 8" with my trusty I hook! I'm not even going to attempt the way it is written in the pattern. It just makes more sense to me to go from small to large!

15 more to go!!

Good, I needed to hear that. I don't know why I thought I could make my first square work but I was determined to follow the instructions. The instructions for the opposite way are via the link you posted? Going to give it a go.

[ATTACH]29273[/ATTACH]

So far so good, yours look WAAAAY more square than mine. I tried my best to crochet loose (dislike, greatly) and it still shrunk toward the end. I swear it looked great when I finished it but seemed to shrink more as it sat, probably just to spite me. :lol

Has anyone upped their hook size midway? Someone over on Ravelry did that and it looked great.

I guess I want a sure thing before I set off crocheting again. Do we have a consensus yet as to which method seems to working the best?

Well, I read the Ravelry thread real quick, we're all trying a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

I don't know how much more loosely I can crochet, it's not natural for me. Is this a super exaggerated loose we're talking about, leaving holes? I'm going to go overly loose and up a hook size about row ten. If it doesn't work I'm going to live with it. Yeah, sure I am. :lol

[ATTACH]29273[/ATTACH]

Thank you so much for the hints! I actually have two "square" squares now, thanks to you!!!

Only four of the colors in this square, you got it Deb.

I seem to have found my magic bullet. I'm using a J up to row ten and switching to a K to finish off. I have stuck with the decrease method. Thank goodness, now I can just get on with it.

Hope everyone else has settled on a method that works for you. I'm thinking as long as we get them finished we're okay, who cares how we get there. Have FUN everyone. :hook

With all of the "test" squares we're accumulating, we'll have enough for another complete afghan. :lol

Well my second square came out much better and is actually square! It doesn't look square but it measures 8" in ALL directions so...:lol I am still doing the increase method and using my J hook,just crocheting very loose,and stretching as I go as well,seems to be working! :D

2nd square less wonky 001.JPG

2nd square less wonky 002.JPG

2nd square less wonky 003.JPG

2nd square less wonky 004.JPG

2nd square less wonky 005.JPG

2nd square less wonky 006.JPG

post-14761-135897588347_thumb.jpg

post-14761-135897588349_thumb.jpg

post-14761-135897588352_thumb.jpg

post-14761-135897588354_thumb.jpg

post-14761-135897588357_thumb.jpg

post-14761-135897588359_thumb.jpg

This is what gave me my most square square. I went from small to large, but came to the conclusion that there was a problem with my starting smallest section, so i changed how I did that. Here is what I did that worked for me:

Ch 4, then join into a ring. ch2 (counts as a SC), then do 2 more SC into the ring. Then ch2 (counts as a SC), 3 SC in next SC, then SC into last SC. The pattern is pretty much the same from there. I used the ch 2 counting as a SC throughout the square.

My square isn't absolutely perfect, but it is much more square than other methods I tried. I still ended up adding an extra row to get to 8 inches. Here is a pic

post-27351-135897588362_thumb.jpg

This is what gave me my most square square. I went from small to large, but came to the conclusion that there was a problem with my starting smallest section, so i changed how I did that. Here is what I did that worked for me:

Ch 4, then join into a ring. ch2 (counts as a SC), then do 2 more SC into the ring. Then ch2 (counts as a SC), 3 SC in next SC, then SC into last SC. The pattern is pretty much the same from there. I used the ch 2 counting as a SC throughout the square.

My square isn't absolutely perfect, but it is much more square than other methods I tried. I still ended up adding an extra row to get to 8 inches. Here is a pic

That does look nice! I think on my next one I'll try the way you started it. I do like the increase method so I'm thinking of either going up a hook for the beginning few rows and then going back down a hook size or trying what you did may end up in a more "square" square!

And what I have so far from my second afghan

I still have to do the 8 from clue 4, plus clue 5, I have two more to make from clue 3.

These are so pretty! I love the vibrant colours.

And everyone's "squares" and squares are looking good. I haven't tried the increase method but mine are coming out alright. I'm waiting til i have one that is my favorite to post it up here! haha.

I'm going to post what I have so far.

And my two mitered squares, I'm going to try to work on them today :P

I especially like how the granny pattern works with your yarn--it looks tie-dyed...neat!

Well--an update from the legions here bringing up the rear...

I finished clues 1 and [almost]2 (though I'm considering reworking clue 1 now that i've discovered the amazingness of changing hook sizes mid-pattern).

For the granny (my first granny square this size), it took me a long time to get it working for 8" I ended up using a 3.75mm for rnds 1-3, a 4mm for round 4, and a 5mm for rnds 5-6...but it measures 8" and it looks nice. For the second one, I paid special attention to where I was putting each stitch so that i wouldn't get that twist effect that I noticed with my first square.

^ Which has inspired me to try something out for this project and that is: stick to the pattern and the guage...switch hooks like crazy if you have to.

Loving the discovery of new small patterns and how I work them... :manyheart

I went out and bought yarn today. You all caught me, lol. I've been stopping by every day to see how everyone is doing, and I love all the pictures. I started working on the first clue, and will post that when I'm done. I hope I can catch up!

:hi:welcome:waving:clap You can catch up :cheer

and now a picture of my final 1st mitered square, this is how I will make the rest of them, except for 8 I have to make minor color changes.

post-40103-135897588514_thumb.jpg

post-40103-135897588517_thumb.jpg

:hi:welcome:waving:clap You can catch up :cheer

and now a picture of my final 1st mitered square, this is how I will make the rest of them, except for 8 I have to make minor color changes.

Great job!:clap:clap

Archived