slightly frightened

ducky73

i bought three balls of crochet thread tonight to "attempt" to make hair coverings for myself.....one in white, the other black....ive never worked with thread before and am quite nervous....its size 10.......

encouragement?

tips?

suggestions?

Don't be afraid, it is all just sticks and string! :D

You might find the #10 thread & smaller hook takes some getting used to after using yarn and a bigger hook but you'll still be using the same technique & stitches. You might find you tension is out at first but you'll find your rhythm & wonder why you were worried in the first place.

My advice would be start with the white, in daylight or a well lit space and just go for it :)

I say go for it. Take your time and be patient with yourself. If you can use a larger hook, you can deal the with thread and a smaller hook. And have fun with it.

The hardest part is learning a new tension. You're not going to hold it at the same tension as yarn. Once you get that down - you are good to go.

Just make sure you're using the correct size steel hook. A good beginner size is either Boye #7 or Bates #5. (I'm a Bates girl for yarn and string)

All the stitches are the same - they're just smaller.

I was afraid to jump straight into #10 so I started with embroidery floss and a #3 Boye hook. It's ok to step down a few sizes at a time if you want to. 1 little pack of floss makes a nice sized Xmas tree ornament.

• 4 weeks later...

thank you all for the encouragement

BUT..........

my thread is still sitting in a corner unworked!

GAHHHHHHHHH! im such a chicken when it comes to new things!!!

You can do it...!! Take your time.. Once you learn the tension and how to use your thinner hook.. It will come natural.. You will it.. I make all kinds of beautiful things....

:blush yes it (the thread project) is still unfortunately in the corner.......

BUT :) this lil duck is starting to gain confidence.......

and is starting to THINK about starting that dreaded thread thing .........

just as soon as i find my friken knitting needle i need.....

i know no excuses right?

well its this tunisian thing is why the knitting needle......

its the caron yarn friendship shawl but im attempting it as a head covering (veil) for mass......

its me again....the chicken...er duck.......WHATEVER

im tired of sitting on my nest HA HA.....

i found the elusive knitting needle......

i have my hook....

i have my thread........

im gonna hunt down what i did with the pattern tomorrow..........

and maybe.....just maybe........have the derned thing started by this time tomorrow!

why do i feel like im in for a day of crocheting and frogging thou?

has anybody else made the shawl im attempting and could maybe (pretty please) help me if i get stuck (no pun intended, but get it? .stuck? knitting needles? BWHAHAHAHAHA!)

You will take to it like a duck takes to water!

:yes:lol:lol

thanks curly i needed a good laugh!

I have some number 10 thread to.. lol and i was about to use a regular g hook with it. till my friend bonnie.. said "you don't use a g hook silly" and she gave me a realy tiny hook.

I'm yet to try it too lol. I want to make a dress for my Girls baby doll..

so be brave.. it shouldn't be that bad. :)

I too have just started my first thread crochet project. C'mon ladies, we can encourage each other! I'm not bright enough to be cautious, so I'm adapting a bookmark into a hatband (just keep repeating instead of stopping at 3 motifs). Oh, and I changed it a bit because I didn't like a part, it's a pineapple pattern.

I've got a spool of #20 H.H. Lisbeth. Have no idea what size hook I'm supposed to use, but a 7 Boye hook seems to be working up OK. This thread was the color I wanted, I've got a pretty golden pheasant feather to add when I'm done.

I started using a 5 hook but didn't like how it looked so I just cut the thread and started over, and the 7 hook is nicer.

For #20 you should be using a 9 or 10 Boye.

Oh now come on Ducky! Give it a try. Don't let the string win!

<grumble> I hate when other people are right in a way that makes my life crazier. I tried a bit of crochet with a 9 hook and it really does look better even though I can barely see it!

Ah well, c'mere little froggy!

• 3 weeks later...

ok ladies

deep breath

ive figured out my fear.....:D

its not the thread as i originally thought

its those cotton pickin itty bitty frikin hooks :(

SOOOOOOOO

i took the inititiave to look online and found these "things" for lack of a better word, to slide said crochet hooks through!

see im used to the big hooks, I,J,K etc and those tiny hooks i cant seem to hang onto.....so im "enhancing their size" :lol

maybe now i can get that project done?! :cheer:cheer:cheer

ok ladies

deep breath

ive figured out my fear.....:D

its not the thread as i originally thought

its those cotton pickin itty bitty frikin hooks :(

SOOOOOOOO

i took the inititiave to look online and found these "things" for lack of a better word, to slide said crochet hooks through!

see im used to the big hooks, I,J,K etc and those tiny hooks i cant seem to hang onto.....so im "enhancing their size" :lol

maybe now i can get that project done?! :cheer:cheer:cheer

Yay! Go for it ducky73! I've found that the tiny hooks are hard to hang on to also, but can't find anything to put on the really tiny things. I also found that I reeaally need these trifocal glasses...so now I feel old.

What pattern are you using for your hair coverings? Is it like a bun cover or is it for your whole head? I'd like to try a bun cover or a snood next...if I can ever get this hatband done!

Just remember you don't need to grip the hooks tightly to crochet with them.

i may not have to grip them tightly which i dont but i need to be able to keep ahold of them without them becoming a UFO :lol:lol:lol

see hun i have arthritis and i think all i have ever used is the big hooks and with my "enhancers" itll feel to me like its a big hook when its not ha ha...

i can just imagine screaming at DH HOOK INCOMING!!! DDDUUUCCCKKK!!!

well gals i have for the time being 86ed the larger thread projects for something "beginnerish" i think i may be able to handle......granny squares (something i KNOW how to do)

just til i get used to my "skinny yarn":lol

anyhoo in the works in a thread called mexicana (rainbow colors) is

two mini granny squares for earrings

a seven round granny for a necklace "charm"

a set of fingerless gloves made from granny squares

and a half granny sqaure hairkerchief

in black i will be making enough mini squares to make a choker for my "charm"

i had thought about starching these things but i crochet so gotdern tight i dont think ill need to.....if nothing else i could run a string of invisible thread through it to make it stand out

Archived