Hook help

I recently found a pattern that I am dying to make. It calls for a G hook and a 4.5mm hook. I can't seem to find one in my collection nor have I ever heard of one. :think Anyone ever hear of it? Thanks.

May I ask what pattern you are using? Are you sure it's a 4.5 and not a 5.5 which is an I hook. Sometimes when a pattern requires two hook sizes, I've found that it's usually one hook size up.....unless your pattern is different. If it a Lion Brand pattern, they have their own hooks, so it could be the manufacturer's sizing. I'm going to go see if Susan Bates makes a 4.5, Hmmm.

Susan bates makes a 4.5 mm hook. I got one at Michaels last fall, it shouldn't be too hard to find at a craft store.

However i don't know that you really need one for this....I took a quick look at the pattern and it looks like you only need a 4.5 for the applique.

That's what I was thinking too. But I'm going to the mall this evening with the hubby and there is a Michaels nearby so now I have an excuse to go in and "just look" :lol

It's a handy size to have, it kind of fills a gap between sizes.

The 4.5mm is the G-7 which is inbetween the regular G and the H.

It is a handy hook to have around, I use it quite often. You can get them at Michaels and I think Joanns.:hook

Clover makes this size hook. I don't have one this size, so I am going to have to go out and get one myself. Gee, we gotta have every size that's out there to do our yarn work.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP86908489.htm?utm_medium=productsearch&utm_source=google

In Europe, the hooks go up and down in .5mm stages: 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5mm, so 4.5 is a very standard European size. Sizes like 4.25mm or 3.75mm, on the other hand, are not! It's possible the pattern you are using was designed by a European crocheter.

I had bought one through the Herrschner's site. It's the kind from Susan Bates with the bamboo handle. It's my new favorite hook.

:manyheart

Clover makes this size hook. I don't have one this size, so I am going to have to go out and get one myself. Gee, we gotta have every size that's out there to do our yarn work.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP86908489.htm?utm_medium=productsearch&utm_source=google

How dare they force us into craft shops and waste our valuable yarn time? The nerve of them demanding us to use a very specific hook size. Viva La Revolution! Join me by using the hooks we love already! :hook

Hugs and Cookies

since when does Ritz Camera carry crochet hooks???:rofl:laughroll

:rofl I can't believe I missed the Ritz Camera part. I was only looking at the hook that was for sale and the camera shop went right over my head. What was I thinking? :lol:lol:lol

A4.5 mm hook is a size 7. It is the size between a G and an H hook. I use Brittany hooks and have several in size 7. The 4.5 mm hook is also refrred to a a G-7 hook. It is not an easy size to find as it is outside of what is considered "normal" hook sizes in the states.

I think the Ritz camera site is pretty funny for this thread. And the hook is less money than the shipping charges! Crazy.

:manyheart

In Europe, the hooks go up and down in .5mm stages: 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5mm, so 4.5 is a very standard European size. Sizes like 4.25mm or 3.75mm, on the other hand, are not! It's possible the pattern you are using was designed by a European crocheter.

our hooks in Canada are the same ,the 1/2 sizes are quite common here ,I use the 4.5 mm for most regular work when using worsted weight yarn

Archived