I found a perfect charity project for me to do

I have a large storage tub of yarn that is leftover from afghans i made for my granddaughters, and some yarn i got for a project that I changed my mind about. It is mainly worsted and sport weight in bright, girly colors. I wanted to do something useful with it, and make a charitable donation where my efforts could really make a difference to someone, but I was unsure about what I might make. The colors i have would not be the most appropriate for anyone but little girls, and I was worried about fit etc. if i tried to make hats or any kind of garment. i really didn't want to commit myself to making a few large afghans, as I really seem to be more into small things at the moment---esp. now that it is hot weather.

So I contacted our local social service agency. It turns out they have a project of giving refurbished baby dolls as Christmas gifts. Each doll is wrapped with some accessories, including a blanket. I will be making approx. 18" square doll blankets! My colors are perfect, and with the yarn I have I should be able to make quite a few. My deadline is the end of Oct. It's the perfect project for me to do with the yarn I have. I can use any color combination, any sttich pattern---a great way to check out some new ripple patterns:hook. ( I can even practice some knit sttiches:blush)

I feel really happy right now that I have found a local project that i can contribute to, and use this pretty yarn to give some little girls a happier Christmas:yay:hook

How did you locate such a charity?

This is a local agency that does a lot of different things, they are a rural transportation provider, have a food pantry, I'm not really sure what all they do. I don't know how long they have been doing the doll project. they have an adopt-a-family thing at Christmas where you can donate requested gifts for people in need. They are a United Way agency. if anyone is looking for a local charity, United Way would be a good place to start....just google United Way and you should be able to find the one in your area, with a list of local charities. Or social service agencies are listed in the phone book.

I was just amazed, and thrilled, that they have a need that fits so perfectly with what I have to offer.

please do show us your blankies when you make them

Thanks everybody for the nice comments! My photo program is not working so i won't be able to post photos but I will try to scan parts of them and post.

Perfect! And the 18-inch size means no worries about having not enough of one color to finish a blanket or a round. That's my problem, too many small lengths of yarn not big enough for anything.

So I make blankets for my vet. The cats and dogs don't care, and I get a $10 credit for each batch I drop off. Win-win!

So perfect, and many thanks for the heads up on a way to look for more charities. Patty

Great. I'm happy you found something useful for your yarn, and gives you something great to do for others.

:manyheart

I belong to Molly's Babies, which does the same thing for anyone who is interested. Mary is doing this in honor of her grand daughter Molly who passed away at 6 weeks. She is trying to get her 501©, so things are on hold right now. But I have been making items and holding on to them until she gets all of the paperwork done. We make blankets, dresses, hats, etc. for the dolls.

http://www.mollysbabies.org/

We would love to have more friends join us!!:cheer

That is so great to find you can provide what they need! Would they like you to also do little doll purses or totes? They take very little yarn and you don't really need a pattern. Every time I make them for someone's doll or bear, they get such a kick out of them. Also, little hair flowers that I often just tie into the hair, or sometimes have to pin in with a safety pin.

Perfect! And the 18-inch size means no worries about having not enough of one color to finish a blanket or a round. That's my problem, too many small lengths of yarn not big enough for anything.

So I make blankets for my vet. The cats and dogs don't care, and I get a $10 credit for each batch I drop off. Win-win!

So perfect, and many thanks for the heads up on a way to look for more charities. Patty

Patty, you are so right about the size! I have started with a ripple, and a couple of my little balls of yarn don't even quite make a row in this size :lol

the pet blanket plan sounds great---more yarn money!

you're welcome for the info.

That is so great to find you can provide what they need! Would they like you to also do little doll purses or totes? They take very little yarn and you don't really need a pattern. Every time I make them for someone's doll or bear, they get such a kick out of them. Also, little hair flowers that I often just tie into the hair, or sometimes have to pin in with a safety pin.

I don't know if I will have the time/yarn to make any purses, but it's a good idea. The idea of flowers made me think about making some flowers w/ my littlest scraps and sewing them onto the blankets---thanks for the ideas:hook

Congrats! Isn't it a great feeling to find a charity that you're excited to help?

Yep it sure is!

The info about Molly's Babies is great:)

I really appreciate all the cheerleading, thanks everybody!:hook

Archived