How do you store your yarn?

I have a problem.

Yarn is taking over my room.

I don't have space for a yarn basket on my floor, so all of my yarn is taking up my beanbag chair, my bed, and my floor. :yarn:yarn:yarn

I don't know what to do with it :huh I would store it under my bed in a container, but I already have something else under there.

I'm thinking maybe a small yarn hammock on my wall...but I just don't know...

How do you guys store your yarn? :think

I keep my yarn in plastic covered bins. I can stack the bins, so they take up less space. I use the large bins, but depending on the size of your stash, you can use any size plastic container you like. I like the plastic ones, because they last longer than boxes, and they keep the yarn nice and clean. I sort my yarn by colors, and stack the bins on top of each other. Since my plastic bins are the clear ones, I can see the color of the yarn through the bin, without having to root through a container to find the colors I am looking for. :hook

I am fortunate enough to have a office/craft room and have my yarn displayed in wire cubes that stack on top of each other. I picked them up at Target when they were on sale for $15 (Whitmor Set of 4 Storage Cubes - Black (14")

I also have some fabric baskets that I keep scraps and finished projects in. They sit on a small bookcase that I got at Walmart for $10. The baskets were like $6 each.

I like to be able to see everything that I have, otherwise I tend to buy duplicates.

I am another very lucky person that has enough room to put all of my yarn on display... Hubby never even complains about it! He says " the more crafty stuff you do the more our girls will do and the less we will have to look for them"! So here is what my craft room looks like. Well the part of it with yarn any way!

post-19553-135897531888_thumb.jpg

I am another very lucky person that has enough room to put all of my yarn on display... Hubby never even complains about it! He says " the more crafty stuff you do the more our girls will do and the less we will have to look for them"! So here is what my craft room looks like. Well the part of it with yarn any way!

[ATTACH]20818[/ATTACH]

Okay, I had to copy a picture of your stash, so I could show my hubby. He thought I had a big yarn stash! :lol:lol:lol I'm impressed with your collection of yarn....and jealous too! I guess I'm going to have to go buy more yarn! :lol

Okay, I had to copy a picture of your stash, so I could show my hubby. He thought I had a big yarn stash! :lol :lol :lol I'm impressed with your collection of yarn....and jealous too! I guess I'm going to have to go buy more yarn! :lol

That is funny and what is sad is that is not even all of it :blush. :blushI have stuff separated for projects in a couple diffrent places thaty way when the kids (Taylor 14, Riley 6 and Haley 6) want to start a new project they are not tempted to use stuff that is for a project that I plan on doing. :cheer

Oh my! I just have a teeny bag stashed under my bed! But I'm just a beginner! Wow Dorothysgirls - looks like you have a shop there! :) My hubby probably wouldn't let me have that much room - although, he'll undoubtedly use that sort of space for his junk!

I place each skein(/skeins if they are the same color) in gallon ziplock bags and squeeze most of the air out. Then I zip them up and toss them into big plastic tubs with lids.

I put them in bags first because there's nothing more frustrating than getting excited about starting a project and then having to spend 2 hours untangling yarn in the bucket to find what you want. Plus you don't have to worry about any bugs or smells getting in the yarn.

Some of my stash is in plastic tubs, some are in reusable grocery/tote bags, and some is still sitting in the plastic bag from whatever store I bought it at. My house is kind of overrun with all my yarn stuff...it's sitting everywhere!

Dorthysgirls--your stash is impressive! I'd love to come and crochet at your house! :)

[ATTACH]20818[/ATTACH]

Wow! My husband would never let me have that much yarn at one time. Although as was said before I bet he wouldn't mind having that much of his stuff. Oh well. I have mine in plastic bags at the moment because it is what I am going to be using on my current project. As I get more yarn though I will move to plastic containers more than likely.

OMG Dorothy! :yarn:hook:yarn I'm really jealous too! Are you JoAnn's, Michael's, and AC Moore's backup supplier?:lol:lol

I wish my hubby was like yours. Mine thought it was a "little" too much. I guess if he realized all that I really have; about 5 rubbermaid tubs, 6-7 JoAnn's reusable bags, plus the two wicker wash baskets (full of Caron One Pounders) in the living room and now the new box of thread that I just had the blessing of getting from another forum's friend

HPIM2832.jpg

I guess he might say I'm in the running with you and forbid me to go to another store for a long time.

I wish I had a spare room to call a craft room. I have not extra room and we fight for every inch. I'm still working on hubby to build me some closets in the basement so that I can get organized......one day. I keep showing all the nice closest that show up here on the Ville hoping it might give him some incentive. He does great work, but to get him to do it at home is another.

:yarn:yarn:yarn:yarnin my case I have yarn all over the place in our storage shed in plastic tubs and the plastic drawer ones and under my bed in the hallway any place I can find to stash more:yarn:yarn:yarn:clap:clap:clap:clap

I have a problem.

Yarn is taking over my room.

I don't have space for a yarn basket on my floor, so all of my yarn is taking up my beanbag chair, my bed, and my floor. :yarn:yarn:yarn

I don't know what to do with it :huh I would store it under my bed in a container, but I already have something else under there.

I'm thinking maybe a small yarn hammock on my wall...but I just don't know...

How do you guys store your yarn? :think

I have this huge 49 gal tote :devil.... it has all my yarn in it. & I will be needing a new one soon!! I ball it whenever I buy a new skein and just toss it in the tote.

I keep my yarn in a large plastic tub under my desk. But since you don't have the space on the floor, maybe you could buy one of those laundry bags that can hang from your door or from a hanger in your closet?

I place each skein(/skeins if they are the same color) in gallon ziplock bags and squeeze most of the air out. Then I zip them up and toss them into big plastic tubs with lids.

That's a really good idea. I'll have to do that with the skeins I haven't already wound into balls. My tub of yarn is overflowing!

I, too, have a lot of my yarn in tubs. More yarn is in those plastic 3-drawer stackable storage thingies. Still more is on open shelves (the cheapo 5-shelf units from Wally World).

I won't post pictures. :D

I don't have a problem! :rofl

Wow -- Dorthy'sgirls! That is quite a stash! I have a few sets of those white wire storage bins. They are still filled with my decorative painting supplies. I may have to make a switch in hobby centers as I have taken to crochet and have not painted in a while. I can't fill them as well as you have but I could make a start. Thanks for the inspiration.

I have mine in flip-top see-thru Rubbermaid bins too. I tried using a zippered case a comforter set came in but it is not working as well as I had thought. So I do not recommend that idea. These great zippered linen cases seem like they should be put to reuse, but I have yet to find a really good purpose for them.

Wow -- Dorthy'sgirls! That is quite a stash! I have a few sets of those white wire storage bins. They are still filled with my decorative painting supplies. I may have to make a switch in hobby centers as I have taken to crochet and have not painted in a while. I can't fill them as well as you have but I could make a start. Thanks for the inspiration.

I have mine in flip-top see-thru Rubbermaid bins too. I tried using a zippered case a comforter set came in but it is not working as well as I had thought. So I do not recommend that idea. These great zippered linen cases seem like they should be put to reuse, but I have yet to find a really good purpose for them.

I use the zippered cases for finished items that have been washed then they stay smoke free ( i have a fire place) and free of cat hair or kid messes. and if you toss in a dryer sheet it stays very fresh smelling!

Archived