sentenced to crochet?

mimi_mia

*Warning, may trigger those with abuse in their pasts*

Did anyone see Nancy Grace last night? She was talking about a sex offender :devil that was sentenced by the judge to hours of crochet as his punishment :hook I'm sorry I don't know more about who he is or what exactly happened, I came into the story after it had started and Nancy was going on about the sentence that she kept changing from knitting to crochet. She doesn't know the difference I guess.

Anyway my point is that is crocheting now going to be considered a punishment? If you do something wrong you will have to crochet as your community service..........:eek

Maria

Here is part of the transcript. This is so silly!!! This guy is a winner for sure. Grrrrrr

Robert Wayne Thompson, 46, pleads nolo to aggravated sexual assault of a child. He has a felony child molestation record. And he was sentenced to 320 hours of knitting, needlepoint. Right. He`s walking free, and the judge that gave that sentence is Judge Rose Guerra Reyna in Texas, last name spelled R-E-Y-N-A. We tried to contact her today. She refused to call back. We asked for her photo release. She refuses for you to see her photo! Why is she hiding?

Joining me from "Justice" magazine, Mark Schone. Bring me up to date.

MARK SCHONE, SENIOR EDITOR, "JUSTICE" MAGAZINE: Well, everybody says that the judge is fair and conscientious, and she has no reputation of being particularly easy or tough on criminals. That`s going to change after this, obviously.

GRACE: Well, my question is, what about the case?

SCHONE: The case is -- well, he is doing 320 hours of crocheting. He knits afghans for local people...

GRACE: OK, Mark, can you really say that with a straight face, knitting?

SCHONE: He does knitting. He does 320 hours, and he says he can do one every six hours, so...

GRACE: Yes, well, he could do that behind bars.

Diane Clements, help me out here. Have I lost my mind?

DIANE CLEMENTS, JUSTICE FOR ALL: No, Nancy, you haven`t, thank goodness. The judge lost her mind. And you`re right, she is hiding. What judge would want anyone in their community to know this? You know, this guy is a convicted pedophile. We know who and what he is. But for a judge and a prosecutor to even put that plea bargain on the table and to allow it, that`s almost as big of an outrage. His own daughter he molested. Twelve counts they dropped as a part of this plea agreement.

GRACE: Very quickly, joining us -- I believe I`ve still got him by phone. Do I, Elizabeth? Robert Wayne Thompson, convicted sex offender. He`s on the phone with us because he`s not behind bars.

Mr. Thompson, were you surprised you got 320 hours of knitting?

ROBERT WAYNE THOMPSON, CONVICTED SEX OFFENDER: I didn`t do nothing what like y`all say I did. So if y`all want to downgrade me, y`all have the paperwork that I have, like I tried to get to y`all before I came on...

GRACE: OK. You know what? Thanks, Mr. Thompson.

here's a link to a story about it.

http://www.themonitor.com/PrintIt.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=7983&Section=Valley

yes, i know what you mean. I work for a Children's Organization that helps empower children to resist abduction and assault. I hear about stories like this and it angers me to no end. We teach kids that "no one has the right to hurt you" and this goes for family members too.

You can check us out at http://www.radkids.org

Many of you know i work for this organization but it never fails to repeat it :)

The only proven way to prevent sexual offenders from reoffending is to chemically castrate them. it's so frustrating.

Seriously, what is wrong with people!:angry Children's lives are being destroyed and this one jerk gets knitting? KNITTING!

I don't get the laws anymore. Anyone who would hurt a child should get the worst kind of punishment imaginable. A lady in the DC area dropped her 4-year old son out on the highway! Can you believe this? Its freakin' madness!

I saw that i always watch Nancy. Supposedly he raped his own daughter and got sentenced to crochet :angry:rant:irk:bang:2nono:tryme:rant Him and the judge and all the other child molesters need to be put on an island together and made to fend for themselves.

Ummm...yeah...I don't even know what to say. That is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard of! I have a dear friend who is a convicted sex offender serving time in state prison. I would have smacked the judge had he sentenced him to knitting! And I love this kid to death! But still, knitting is not a punishment for one...and even if it was, it is not a punishment that fits the crime. What is that possibly teaching him?? And by the sounds of thr transcript, he's probably a really ignorant SOB any way! Someone who can take the innocence of a child...well...don't get me started. My friend and I went round and round about this topic...though his circumstance was much different (he was 19 and she was 15 but told him she was 18). But please! His own daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!??????? Aargh! Man could I go on a tirade!!!!!!!

Knitting???? OMG just what we need is a pedophile who knits a scarf for his victims..........:yell This justice system is pathetic! What should really be done is Castration and EST: electric shock therapy! And when that is finished, put him in a maximum security prison. Of all things.....

Seriously, what is wrong with people!:angry Children's lives are being destroyed and this one jerk gets knitting? KNITTING!

I don't get the laws anymore. Anyone who would hurt a child should get the worst kind of punishment imaginable. A lady in the DC area dropped her 4-year old son out on the highway! Can you believe this? Its freakin' madness!

:angry Just dropped him off on the HIGHWAY???????? That just makes me sick! These poor children who have parents like that....and then there are the child molesters. My word! I just want to cry at the injustice in this world.

That judge should be disbarred! What was she thinking?!!! It just seems that the legal system does not take the crime of child molestation seriously. I think the 'right child' has not been molested yet...meaning...when a celebrity's child or a president's child or a child whose parent holds an important position is molested, we will see swifts changes in the laws. Molesters should at least be forced to wear an ankle bracelet for life. They had no problem extending Martha Stewart's bracelet time...and we know she's a great threat to society...yeah, right!

I guess 'crochet punishment' will soon be used on terrorists.

charkitty

Well, I don't necessarily agree with this sentence, but as someone who's currently working for a prosecutor (and working towards becoming a prosecutor - 2 more years, baby), it looks like this guy wasn't going to go to jail anyway.

The problem was that the evidence was really shaky and the girl who was allegedly molested told the judge her mom told her to say that. The prosecutor was even going to drop the charge because he couldn't prove anything.

So this guy got a plea bargain. The prosecutors didn't expect to get anything, and thought he'd get off scot free because of the evidentiary issues.

So I figure, maybe he did it. Maybe he didn't. But they didn't think they could put him in jail. So at least this way, someone in need gets a crocheted item they wouldn't have had before.

Before anyone gets too up in arms, read an actual news report that isn't designed to get people upset about something but is a factual report. Read what the actual prosecutor said about the case, too; that there was no proof once the little girl who was supposedly molested told the judge that her mommy told her to say this, and it didn't really happen. The guy's definitely a loser, but first of all what kind of woman would marry a convicted pedophile and have children with him to begin with, and second of all what kind of person would tell her child to lie to the police and judges as part of a divorce hearing? I feel bad for the little girl, and I think all things considered having some underprivileged folks get afghans is a pretty good outcome for this whole mess.

I'm not normally a violent person. In fact, I'd rather take a beating than do the beating but this one I can't ignore. I was raped by my stepbrother when I was four and it continued until I was nineteen. Why? you might ask. He threatened to tell my stepmother that I started it and I would be beaten and I was more scared of her than him. All these years, he's the one who has gotten money for college, a new house, a new RV , etc. while I sit back and watch. Now he's inherited all my father's hard work because my father died before my stepmother. I wish he'd h ave been the one to have to do knitting....I'd take the yarn and strangle him. There are more pedophiles that don't get caught than there are those that do. The victims are so scared of being accused of the crime. This guy isn't getting what he really deserves. I don't agree at all with the punishment. This time the judge needs to be punished , too.

growling late at night...or is it morning already.

Barb

• 5 weeks later...

Archived