Our House [Archive 3]

busy-bee-lmt

Good Morning, ladies. :) I've been up for hours and am ready for a break.

Tracy, it sounds like your boss is the one having a hard time making a decision. :yes I hope they let you know soon so you can get on with your life...must be very frustrating. :hug

Sure are lots of squares being made - congratulations to everyone! :cheer

Linda, those cookies sound wonderful. Have a great day and I hope you get some rain. :rain

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning all :flower

Wendy - Glad your first day back was a good one. How exciting for Kelly to be starting high school! Do they go to school until they're 18 like they do here? I heard once that in the UK you have to pay for high school. Dunno if that's true or not. Do y'all pay tuition for high school? Boy, I'm nosy today aren't I? :lol You're always so great about answering our questions though :manyheart

Linda - Mmm those cookies sound yummy :yes I've always wondered what in the world was in mince meat. Is it fruit? :think

Tracy - The sleeping bag sounds like a fun project! Hope they give you a definite answer soon on the job.

Shelly - Welcome home :hug Yep, we got chatty while you were gone :P Can't wait to see the ATW.

Judy - Is WW a lifetime thing? Do you go even after you've reached your goal? Geez, I'm full of questions today :blush

BD is feeling better today I think :yay He doesn't sound as awful. I've been making him take allergy pills. He balks, but he takes them :D

I was starting the green amish ghan but BD came home and saw the pattern and even he said there's something wrong about the patterns. Actually I think I've figured out what it is. I think the colors need to be brights with all that black so they pop really well. But that means waiting til I get more yarn because I don't have a lot of brights around right now.

So, I switched gears and and making the Argylesque instead. I want to make it for my other BIL (BD's brother). He's been hounding me for one so I think I'll do that one for him :yes

Judy - Is WW a lifetime thing? Do you go even after you've reached your goal? Geez, I'm full of questions today :blush

I was starting the green amish ghan but BD came home and saw the pattern and even he said there's something wrong about the patterns. Actually I think I've figured out what it is. I think the colors need to be brights with all that black so they pop really well. But that means waiting til I get more yarn because I don't have a lot of brights around right now.

When you reach your goal weight at WW you are a Lifetime member, entilted to go to meetings 4ever, for free. And after having stopped going to the meetings the first time I reached goal, I know better :blush - and will always be going there.

What BD saw is what I saw in your new designs. Black really is the background for Amis work and the brights are menat to hit you in the eye when you look at their quilts. Should just be a simple change...you have the eye for it, kiddo!

Hi Miss Cara ~ Oohh...the Argylesque was the new pattern you posted that caught my eye! I know we always say this, but I really can't wait to see that one come to life. :yes

Good Morning, Judy. :)

I have to go to the store after while, then I hope to get some crochet time in today. :hook

Wow Cara as usual very pretty work!! Boy 12 panels would have been a carpet :eek that got me laughing this morning. :rofl

Here is my Diaper pin quilt. Now the only quilt I have on deck is the village pinwheel ghan I started long ago :)

th_crochet347-1.jpg

Heather, that is lovely!! Great job!!:yay:clap:yay

Cara, the mince meat you buy in the stores is all fruit, but the homemade version actually has a lot of meat in it. The recipe I have came from one of my grandmothers or great-grandmothers.

3 bowls of meat (cooked pork, beef, lamb, venison etc.) May use all one type of meat or a combination.

5 bowls apples (cooked, sweetened applesauce works very well)

1 bowl of vinegar

1 bowl of suet (only if using all beef)

1 bowl of raisins

5 bowls of sugar

2 T. nutmeg

2 T. cinnamon

1 tsp. cloves

1 tsp. salt

Cook meat, cool, and then put through a meat grinder. Mix all ingredients except meat and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer until the raisins are tender. Put mixture through meat grinder and then pour over the meat and spices and simmer. Pack in hot jars and process quarts in a pressure cooker at 10 pounds of pressure for 80- minutes. One quart is enough filling for a 9" pie. (A 1 quart bowl will yield 15 to 16 quarts of mincemeat.)

The first time I made it I had to call my mother to find out what a bowl was. Her answer was "It doesn't really matter as long as you use the same bowl for everything." I recommend NOT using a bowl any bigger than a 1 quart bowl. I once made the mistake of using a much bigger bowl (enough to use all the meat I had cooked) and I didn't have a pan big enough to hold it all. I ended up with it in 2 huge water bath pans. I was canning forever. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Wow Cara as usual very pretty work!! Boy 12 panels would have been a carpet :eek that got me laughing this morning. :rofl

Here is my Diaper pin quilt. Now the only quilt I have on deck is the village pinwheel ghan I started long ago :)

th_crochet347-1.jpg

Heather, that is a really pretty pattern. Your work is lovely. :manyheart

Morning everyone,

Cara the girls go to a public school but we still have to pay a fee. For Emma primary school is $230 and for Kelly high school fees are $350 plus Kelly is doing Music so that fee is $280 plus the hire of the flute. Also with Kelly starting high school it was a whole new wardrobe of uniforms which came to $350. Now already Kelly is going to camp 11/2 which is only 2 and a half weeks away and that is gonna cost $78. Do the kids over there pay for public school? Sorry for the long answer.

Linda thanks for the recipe, it sounds very yummy.

Shelly cant wait to see your ATW come together. Have you started sewing the saltines.

Heather the quilt looks great. Love the colors.

Mary did you get some saltines done.

Judy hows your saltines coming along. With your WW meetings, have you reached your goal weight yet.

at least with a bowl or glass put down you have an idea as long as you use the same size bowl or glass for each item.. I got some recipes with a dab of something and a small handful of something.. a palmful of something else.. talk about a mystery

Wendy I am putting it together as I go.. I make a saltine and add it on before I make another one...

Wendy, I reached goal last September - but (from experience) I know I need the meetings. Kind of like AA for foodaholics like me.:P

I made a few saltines today - hope to make more, K, so don't add them in yet! Right now I;m making a creative version of my favorite 12 inch square for a Friends square I want to send someone;)

Yeah the older recipes are a challenge sometimes. Of course, when I was teaching my daughter to cook she thought I was terrible, because I add a little of this and a little of that and a pinch of this spice and a bit more of that one and so on. And some of my casseroles are never exactly the same two times in a row, because I use whatever is on hand in the way of vegetables, meat, and potatoes or pasta or rice. Makes life interesting. :lol :lol :lol

Well, it's been an interesting afternoon to say the least. Wildfires came within 3 blocks of our house and we were evacuated for about 2 hours! I put Zoe and Maggie in the car along with my cell phone and purse and that's all the time the Rangers let me have. Thank goodness no houses in our area were burned. They let us come back home about 30 minutes ago. The wind was gusting up to 60 MPH all day.

Okay, I don't want any more excitement for a while. :)

Mary, that sounds scary, glad you are all ok. My sister had to evacuate work on Friday afternoon as some of the houses down the road were on fire.

Thank you everyone for your kinds words. :)

We don't pay for school in the UK either (except for private school). I do have to pay for extracurricular activities for the school DD is in now, but not expensive, her swimming is £1.50 a week and when she does dancing that is £2 a week. She is going on a camp in April and that is going to cost £145 for the four days. :eek Luckily the school has a savings system and I can pay in some every week as long as all paid by 11th April. :)

Mary - Oh goodness! How scary! Glad everyone's okay :hug You need to pack an emergency crochet bag for the trunk :yes

Wendy - Thanks for answering that :hug Yep, K's right. We don't pay for school at all (unless you're a homeowner then you pay school taxes but that's another thing altogether) and sometimes it's you get what you pay for. We have, I think, 11 high schools here in town and some are really good and some are in real trouble making the testing grades. They were talking about shutting one of them down a while ago but they sent someone in to straighten them out instead.

Judy - That's great you reached your goal! :yay I can't seem to lose any at all. Of course, I haven't tried real hard either :lol

Linda and Shelly - Yep, had my momma trying to tell me how to make bread pudding one day and she used terms like "a little milk" and "some sugar". Okay. How much is a little milk and how much is "some" sugar. Her answer was "well, enough milk to make the bread soggy and just keep adding sugar until it tastes like homemade ice cream" :blink I finally figured it out but I still couldn't tell you how much of anything I use :lol

I was very naughty today. Went to lie down for just a bit at 2....just woke up at 5:15 :blush There shot my whole day in the foot :blush

Mary, that sounds scary, glad you are all ok. My sister had to evacuate work on Friday afternoon as some of the houses down the road were on fire.

Thank you everyone for your kinds words. :)

We don't pay for school in the UK either (except for private school). I do have to pay for extracurricular activities for the school DD is in now, but not expensive, her swimming is £1.50 a week and when she does dancing that is £2 a week. She is going on a camp in April and that is going to cost £145 for the four days. :eek Luckily the school has a savings system and I can pay in some every week as long as all paid by 11th April. :)

Okay now I have a question for you Tracy if I'm not being too nosy :D Do the kids go to school until they're 18 or does high school end at 16 like someone told me once? I never knew whether to believe that or not :think

Okay now I have a question for you Tracy if I'm not being too nosy :D Do the kids go to school until they're 18 or does high school end at 16 like someone told me once? I never knew whether to believe that or not :think

School is until 16, then they can go to college if they want to. I still have to find out more about that, as in South Africa they go to school until they are 18 years old, then they can go to college, university or work. DD started school a year late here (she was 5 when she got here) so she had to do Reception and Year 1 at the same time. So I think they start school when they are 4. :think It is also scary thinking that she is going to be starting high school in September and she will only be 11! :eek

Thanks so much, Wendy and Cara. It's still a daily battle, but WW gives me the tools to keep at it!

Mary, fire frightens me...just ask Phil when he wants to light the log in the fireplace:blush. Early experience left me that way...

I'm so happy your home is fine - as you are. Cara's right: keep a crochet bag ready to grab, just in case. Look at it as your security blanket. And they always tell us to have meds, pet food, water jugs, etc, ready for at least 72 hours. We live in hurricane territory and are way overdue - I have stuff that would only take me 5 minutes to grab for the pups.

School is until 16, then they can go to college if they want to. I still have to find out more about that, as in South Africa they go to school until they are 18 years old, then they can go to college, university or work. DD started school a year late here (she was 5 when she got here) so she had to do Reception and Year 1 at the same time. So I think they start school when they are 4. :think It is also scary thinking that she is going to be starting high school in September and she will only be 11! :eek

Wild! So that was true. Seems awful early to set them on the college path. I have a nephew that's 19 and he's still not ready :lol Of course, he's got a bad case of the lazies :irk

Wow Mary!! Glad your house and neighborhood wasn't burned. I just saw that on the world news a few minutes ago. My sister lives in Cleburne now but used to live in Fort Worth.

Wow Tracey that is a little scarey 11 years old in High School. I can't imagine getting out of school at 16 either.

When Phil was 4 his mom put him in Greek school (private) and he graduated when he was 17, would have been 16 if he hadn't had to repeat a few classes. Good thing, though, because there's not much a kid that age can do or work at till they're older if they don't want to go to colege right away! He went in the Army as soon as he turned 18.

K - 7 solids today

Archived