Has anyone done the Ladybug Afghan?

I've just started doing the Ladybug Afghan (Herrshners Kit).

http://www.herrschners.com/Product/Ladybug+Afghan+Crochet+Kit.aspx?keyword=ca+googlebase&CAWELAID=420363460

It's going along pretty well so far, but I noticed out on Ravelry that a lot of people have some pretty wonky, funky looking pictures of the finished project.

Are there any pitfalls or issues that I should be on the lookout for? :think

Even in the pic on Herrschners you can see that it is wavy. I think it's just hard to get a solid circle that big to lay evenly.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just want this to be perfect, because I'm making it for our little 4-year-old neighbor across the street. Our neighbors have been so good to us that I wanted to make something nice. I'm also going to make a "grown-up" afghan for them.

I haven't done the Ladybug afghan but I did the Spidey RR for my 4-year-old grandson. The closest I've seen it to laying flat still has a 4yo hump in the middle. :lol:lol Your neighbor will love it!

:eek :eek What!!! The "ladybug" afghan couldn't be a grownup afghan. I would love an afghan like it. I will be 59 years old in June. Maybe I am just a child at heart or just haven't grown up yet.:rofl :rofl

:eek :eek What!!! The "ladybug" afghan couldn't be a grownup afghan. I would love an afghan like it. I will be 59 years old in June. Maybe I am just a child at heart or just haven't grown up yet.:rofl :rofl

:lol You & I are too alike. I want the ladybug afghan for myself too! I just want someone to make it for me so I can be surprised but that probably won't happen. I think I'll have to leave the catalog out with the page opened & the kit circled. Maybe DH will take the hint & order it for me - maybe for Mother's Day.

Well, I'm ready to scream...I got to row 10 of the afghan, but up to this point, I didn't pay attention to the directions that say TURN after each round! :eek

Can't decide if I should rip it all out or keep going. It will mean that I will have to do each round with the black part as a separate black strand for each row...

You can rip if you want to.

Basically, the reason you turn is so that the ghan doesn't get that wonky tilt. You can incorporate it into the design and just turn every 10 rows. It'll balance out in the end.

Some of my most gorgeous work has come about because I didn't want to frog.

Basically, it's a giant circle. You can turn when you want, not when you don't. As long as you increase 12 in each round it's gonna come out great. Relax, enjoy - it's not supposed to be stressful.

I made my own ladybug afghan pattern. It's rectangle. It's all hexagons and 1/2 hexagons. The ladybug is red and black hexagons surrounded by green hexagons, some plain and some with flower centers. I have pics but I don't know how to post them.

Ellie 13

Well, the afghan is going better...I started over.

I had to rip it back partly again, because it was getting too wavy, but I threw in a few straight rows sporadically, which seems to have taken care of the issue. I'm now on the part where you do the two-color crocheting for the black face.

:clap:cheer:c9

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm making the ladybug afghan and it's turning out to be quite troublesome. I'm a perfectionist and a stickler for directions and my rows were not ending with the right stitch. I called Herrschne'rs and was told that it really didn't matter as long as I have the correct number of stitches. It took some time but I finally gave in and continued. Now I'm on Row 15 and I'm ending up with 6 extra spaces after doing the correct amount of stitches and it's making me crazy. I guess I can fake it again but I don't want to. I want it to come out right! Any ideas?

Well, I'm ready to scream...I got to row 10 of the afghan, but up to this point, I didn't pay attention to the directions that say TURN after each round! :eek

Can't decide if I should rip it all out or keep going. It will mean that I will have to do each round with the black part as a separate black strand for each row...

I also did NOT notice the instructions said to turn after each round. I highly recommend you start over. You will be much happier with the results.

Since this thread started (2010), I have :crocheting an adult version of my ladybug design. It has 2 ladybugs and is big enough for a twin bed (slightly bigger, maybe). Since mine is made in motifs it always lays flat.

Ellie 13

Just when I thought it would be safe to look at an afghan and not feel the urge to buy yarn I go and look at this one.

I am in LOVE with it now!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived