Hand held yarn/thread tensioning device

I've read several threads where folks were having pain in the yarn tensioning hand and decided to see if there might be a device that would help. What do you think of this:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=qJ9HAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=crochet+aid&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Looks like the device fits on a finger like a ring and has a couple of disks that the yarn is threaded through, and a thumbscrew that will allow for adjusting tension. Maybe a bit bulky but might be a good idea eh? No idea if the thing is on the market, but I thought you guys might be interested and it might turn a light bulb on in someone's mind.

I also saw something called "Kroh's crochet aid" that looks kind of similar and lighter weight but didn't seem to have a tension adjustment.

Also saw just a ring that will sliip on a finger, and has a little clamping device to hold yarn in tension.

Anybody ever use such a thing? If so, did it work?

ahhh Jimbo - no one is going to appreciate the patent links like me! HAHA! I'm one of the ones having issues. I just started doing AMI and my tension hand is a wreck. I actually found myself noticing I was tensing up too much last night - I had to mentally talk myself down. haha. It's neat to see - but it sure does look complicated.

I agree it's complicated. But would it work? I think there is a much simpler version out there that's not much more than a finger ring with a yarn guide attached.

Just wondered if such a thing could help the poor folks who want to crochet but hand pain stops them.

Part of the reason why the patent drawing looks complicated is that it's shown with 4 double-pointed knitting needles:lol

I've never used anything like this, but i think there needs to be some kind of clamp on the yarn to hold the tension. seems to me the things that just guide the yarn wouldn't give tension; the yarn would just slip through. I've read about Portuguese knitting where you run the yarn around your neck or through a pin on your shoulder....maybe that approach would work for crocheting?

(I do have arthritis, but crocheting bothers my hands less than typing or writing--and i do use therapeutic grips on pens when I have to write a lot. Plain old aluminum or steel crochet hooks work fine for me:) I do take a lot of breaks in my crocheting--have to check in here frequently:lol )

Welp I suppose a pin in the shoulder would certainly detract from any hand pain. heh

the other one I saw had a hole in a plate and you could adjust the tension by turning the plate so hole would be at an angle to the yarn and thereby crimp the yarn. I'm suspicious that it would work or be less painful than wrapping the yarn around a finger... But hay... it gets the brain juices going eh?

Looking at the drawing, makes me think of running the thread on a sewing machine needle. It reminds me a lot of that on a sewing machine.

I'm not so sure it would work that well, though, Jimbo. We use many different thicknesses of yarn from bulky down to crochet thread. I do think it would be an interesting contraption.

I'm not sure about the one you saw with a hole that crimps the yarn. I'm wondering if it would give too much friction and ruin the yarn as it is being run through. Maybe it could work for a certain type of yarn.

Thanks for sharing. It definitely is something to think about. If this could work, it could help out many who have problems using their fingers due to arthritis.

I think my hand would hurt worse from trying to hold that than just holding the thread. I think I will pass. I ocassonally get pain but I just rest it for a little while and I am good to go again. Normally the pain is not crochet related but intrudes into my crocheting, Know what I mean.

Also saw just a ring that will sliip on a finger, and has a little clamping device to hold yarn in tension.

I've got one of these gizmos, and don't like it. It does what it is designed to do, and it does help control the yarn. And it does protect the finger from the action of the yarn running over it.

It is made of plastic, and I am uncomfortable wearing anything plastic (makes my finger sweat).

As for the gizmo in the link, I'm with Kathy.

I don't know that I'd be able to hold onto that thing while I was crocheting. It looks awfully bulky to deal with, especially if you're working on a double-stranded piece or have a lot of bobbins to deal with on, say, a graph piece.

I used to have a lot of problems with my tension, and then I started wrapping the yarn around my left pinky and THEN over my index finger of my left hand. My pinky acts as the tensioner and works just fine for keeping my stitches nice and even and feeding the yarn at just the right tension. I suppose, though, what Jimbo suggested in the way of a simple device resembling a finger ring might work. Although I'd have to see one to decide for sure. I can picture one in my mind's eye but I have to say that I'm still pretty happy with my "pinky pulley". :)

[quote=Elle;1985550I'm still pretty happy with my "pinky pulley". :)

Pinky Pulley!! Now I'm liking that... I'm a pulley kinda guy.. pulleys and levers and gears oh my!

And it looks like there are good reasons all those mechanical tensioning devices are scarce on the marketplace.

But even stuff like the mechanical tensioner, that have seriously doubtful utility can lead to good things. It's stimulating to take a look and noodle a bit about how something might work and then how it might be made to work better. The whole process is a very good "primer" to get creative juices flowing.

I remember a little section in the monthly editions of "Popular Science" magazine that dealt with practical problems. I think it was titled "I'd like to see them make.." and it had little cartoons made up from readers' wish lists of things they'd like to see on the market. Always was my favorite part of the magazine.

I noticed that the yarn tension assist was patented back in 1948. I thought that was pretty interesting. I like the description of "noodling" around to see what's out there and how stuff works. I bet there are "noodlers" on this site that could figure out a tension aid to help those of us with cantankerous fingers....lol.

Thanks for this thread, Jimbo.

I agree... and not just with tensioning devices. LOTS of noodlers herebouts, just need a little inspiration.

I'm going to have to ground myself from crocheting. I'm addicted to making the chapstick cozies and my tension hand has had enough. I'm so bummed! I constantly catch myself tensing up...oh well I guess I can study for my midterm lol

Archived