Charity Blast January 21st to 26th....Summary Posted

Needle Arts

I didn't know where else to post this on the CV forums so I figured the charity blast group may have some insight!

I am joining a walk-a-thon for the local crisis nursery and I'm gathering pledges.... so I want to crochet a small "thank you" item for everyone that pledges. I want them small, unisex, and relatively quick to turn out (I anticipate a minimum of 20-30 pledges from work alone).

Any ideas? Anything you have made before that was a big hit?

I just got some awesomesauce alpaca yarn in a thin gauge that would work for bookmarks.... OOOO bookmarks!

Still - any ideas???

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Darlene. I'm making up a big batch of homemade chicken noodle soup at the moment. Nothing like comfort food when not feeling well.

Chris, good luck on your project. Bookmarks sound like a great idea to me.

Thanks for the nice comments Linda and Darlene!

Linda take care of yourself it is horrible to be sick this time of year:(. Well done on making progress on the helmet liner I find concentrating on anything when I am sick impossible! The baby quilts will still be there and needed when you are feeling better. That is the one thing about charity crafting the need is endless and never goes away so if you take a break you know when you do find your :hook (or sewing needle etc) again there will be someone still needing what your making!:)

Chris I have seen some pretty cute keyrings made with granny squares. Here is a picture of one I liked on Flickr or you can get the plastic keyring blanks and then make a little thank you graphic on the PC to print out for snapping inside the inside the plastic keyring before you attach the granny square/or crocheted flower for the ladies you want to thank!? Good luck with it anyway!

I have been busy with my:crocheting and have finished my lumpy blanket but not the wool!:eek I got to the stage where I needed more than one ball to go around the blanket and so was left with one ball of pink and one ball of blue! I decided to try a few flowers with the left overs and made three. Now I have put the wool in a bag and will make flowers from it a bit at a time and when it finally runs out I will have to find some way of using up the flowers on another blanket!:D

I will take a picture of my finished blanket tomorrow in the daylight. Meantime it is back to my:hook tonight as I am busy with my squares now. I lost time today with housework and errands but tomorrow I have to wait in for a delivery so I should get a good few squares made on the last day of the charity blast! I hope you all have a good evening I am off to have my dinner now!:)

Lindsay - I turned the corners on my blanket and it is now going from a triangle to a square. This part is really fun because instead of making something bigger with every row, I'm decreasing and on the "down hill run" to completing my square. The little boxes remind me of doing the little petal sections of a granny square.

I looked at your blog and the blog with your mom, wow, the two of you really created a wealth of love with your crocheting and knitting. It was fun to go back month by month and see the progress of your projects. Well done!

post-7249-135897499301_thumb.jpg

Is this a free pattern? I would like to try it!

Lindsay - I turned the corners on my blanket and it is now going from a triangle to a square. This part is really fun because instead of making something bigger with every row, I'm decreasing and on the "down hill run" to completing my square. The little boxes remind me of doing the little petal sections of a granny square.

I looked at your blog and the blog with your mom, wow, the two of you really created a wealth of love with your crocheting and knitting. It was fun to go back month by month and see the progress of your projects. Well done!

Good Morning,

Just popping in before I head out for morning errands and to mail a package.

Beth - here is the link to a great tutorial on the Diagonal Box Stitch and Straight Row Box Stitch at Crochet Cabana's site,

Diagonal Box Stitch: http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/diag-box-st.htm

or for Straight Row Box Stitch: http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/box-st-in-rows.htm

Coats and Clark has a nice striped afghan pattern also but I can't find that link on my computer at the moment. I really enjoy this pattern and use it alot. I'll check for the afghan pattern after I get home. Once you get the hang of flipping at the first corner on the diagonal stitch it is really fast.

Linda - hope you are feeling better today. Your chicken soup sure sounded good. It is colder here today, I heard the furnace kick on this morning earlier than ususal. We had reset the start time/temperature during our December cold spell. My reminder that it is still Winter. Think I'll make either chicken soup or chicken and dumplings this weekend as we just had a chicken and rice casserole last night.

I didn't get a lot done yesterday, literally and figuratively. Just a lazy day. My list is lengthy especially with my shoulder surgery just around the corner. Have my preop appointment with the surgeon this morning and have a list of questions ready for him.....1) When can I start crocheting? 2) When can I start typing again (I do medical transcription parttime and have already taught myself how to use the mouse with my left hand; and 3) (for DH) "When can we travel and get her out of the house? She will be climbing the walls with her arm in a sling for 6-8 weeks." Ahhhh, patience....not my strong suit!

Remember, today is our last day of this month's blast. Please post your progress by midnight. I'll recap early Wednesday morning. I'm really going to have to push myself this afternoon to get this second baby afghan done by tonight.

Here is the (LW1595) Coats and Clark Corner to Corner Throw link:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/LW1595+Crochet+Corner-to-Corner+Throw.htm

Funny how you find the missing pattern after you post that you can't find it.

Beth - glad you were able to start one. I'm excited to get a count of what everyone has accomplished.

Hello Everyone,

Being ahead of time in the UK let me start sooner but it also means my weekend ends sooner too!:eek I worked hard yesterday evening and today to try and get as many squares done as possible. I wanted 2 sets of 10 inch squares that could be assembled into pram blankets during the next few weeks! I got 14/18 finished and only have the last bordering row of the white to add to the last 4 squares which I promise I will do with my bedtime cuppa!:hook I had to stop now to get a picture taken and still have time for a bath and a few things I need to get done before the morning!:)

I got the lumpy blanket finished to 50inches square and even got the rotten lumpy ends sewn in and the edging added (I did that sitting up late in bed last night whilst listening to the end of a radio show!) The lumpy wool still has two balls left (that stuff will never end!!!!:think) but I tried 3 little flowers and they worked out OK so I will use the two balls up for flowers and make a plain crocheted granny blanket to 'scatter' them on!?

I took a picture to share here and my totals for the weekend are:

1 finsihed afghan/blanket

18 x 10 inch granny squares

3 crocheted flowers

And I tidied up my little balls of pastels and got all my left over pastel wool down to one bag/bowl!:cheer I really enjoyed the Charity Blast Weekend thanks for making me welcome!:)

Darlene - Thank you for hosting the weekend and thank you for your nice comments on my blanket and my/our blogs. Mum and I are blessed with lots of spare time for charity crafting. I consider all the crochet time I have the main benefit of being disabled. Thanks for making me welcome this weekend and I will check in tommorrow (my time) to see the totals and other pictures etc! Oh and thank you for the pattern links I love the idea of working a blanket corner to corner it would make a nice change from round and round some days I get dizzy!:D

BTW I hope your shoulder operation goes well.:manyheart You will probably find that going back to your crochet is good for your healing once the initial pain is over. Good for you learning to use the mouse with your left hand I dread to think what I would be like trying that!:eek:D

Since my computer is at work (can do personal stuff during lunch time), I have to post today instead of tonight (when I could do a bit more). Alas, some issues came up; I didn't get around to working on the blanket, so I only have yo-yos to show for the charity blast.... Well, seems I can't show them 'cause my camera battery is completely drained. Won't be charged until just before I have to leave.:(

So imagine 21 yo-yos.

Will try to do better next time. (And make sure my camera battery is charged!):photo

-Marzee

2010 Stashbusting CAL: WTD: +1/YTD: +4

Dishcloth Tuesdays ~ 2009 CAL

Yo Yo’s for Charity

January Charity Blast – 01/21-01/26

Sorry I haven't been around much. I got some kind of bug and have been very sick. I'm finally feeling human again this afternoon. I promised pictures of the items I've done. I didn't take a picture of the babyghan because there's not enough done to show off. I took pictures of the completed squares though. I hope to get another one or two done tonight. I'll post my totals in the morning.

post-28827-135897499404_thumb.jpg

post-28827-135897499409_thumb.jpg

post-28827-135897499413_thumb.jpg

Checking in before I start work. Boy you gals are fast.

Lindsay - way to go! Wish I could get my stash down to a bag and a bowl. Hope you'll drop back in with a picture of you pram blankets.

Marzee - you yo-yo's will be added to our count, always needed. Are you making them to assemble into a project yourself, or pass on to one of our other member's that are collecting?

Nicole - great job, especially when you are not feeling well. You need some of Linda's chicken soup.

Sorry to run but I've got a work deadline sneaking up on me.......

It is going to be hard to concentrate on working! My husband just took the first batch of chocolate chip cookies out of the oven and they smell so good! I'll put out a plate of them and the tea's warm if you want to stop by.

I have all five pannels of the flannelghan done and assembled. I put a border on it and took it out cuz I think it turned out to narrow so now I am going to put 2 more pannels on it then it will be done. So technacly it was done and now it isn't~

in almost every county across America there are women's shelters"for abused women and thier children" usually your local municipalities can point u in the right direction, such as police dept. housing authorities, hospitals...they all know whom to get in touch with for such things...These ppl are always greatful that ppl care about thier welfare and usually take a home made item as a reminder of the new start...

Monchichi bright and grammyjel - we are just winding up this month's Charity Blast but hope to see you next month. Nicolep has offered to host February and March and will post the dates, so keep watching. Historically it is around the third weekend of the month but may be moved due to coordinator's schedule, the holidays, etc. Looking forward to seeing what you will be working on.

I'll be posting our totals tomorrow morning. If you didn't get a chance to post your work, pop it on in and I'll adjust what I have. This post will be around for a few days too if anyone else would like to add photos.

Thanks everyone for giving so generously of your time and talent and giving back to those who truly have needs greater than our own.

:clap:D:clap:D:clap

Here we go:

8" squares = 2

10" squares = 18

12" squares = 6

50" square afghan = 1

helmet liner = 1

flowers = 3

yoyo's = 28

small animal toys = 44

baby booties (pr) = 1

hats = 12