Charity Blast January 21st to 26th....Summary Posted

Needle Arts

I have been working on a baby afghan. I decided to use my Lion Brand Pound of Love to make a full-size baby blanket. The hospital doesn't get many of those...they get a lot of preemie stuff though.

I'm taking a break from that to make some comfortghan squares. I get so bored working on afghans!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home again, last hours drive in heavy rain on a kind of foggy morning. Cars just kept disappearing in the grey fog and spray from the big trucks. Going to sit down with a cup of hot chocolate and see what I can get done. Only had time six rows yesterday but glad I took my project along. While getting my new tires I had a lady next to me that wanted me to explain what I was doing. Gave her a card I had for a LYS that does classes. She was pleased as she has retired and is looking for something to keep her hands busy. She remembered her grandmother crocheting and used to help her wind yarn by hand.

Want to join me for a cup of tea of hot chocolate?

:c9:c9:c9

I had a wonderful day, we finally got out on our bikes this year. It was a beautiful sunny warm day. I finished a small blanket this evening and hope to finish another one during the games tomorrow. Maybe a purple scarf- go vikings! ;)

Hey everyone. I've got about 10 hats done so far (various sizes), working on number 11. I'm going to be busy tomorrow running around but I should be able to get a few more done. :crocheting

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I did not get in here sooner to say hello! One of those weekends where lots of unexpected things happen and you have less time to yourself than you thought you would!?:blush We seem to have two neighbours gong through a crisis at the same time...I should teach them both to crochet as a distraction from all the ups and downs of life!?:crocheting

Darlene - thank you for all the encouragement, sorry I have not stopped by sooner? Do we share pictures or are these weekends just for chat and encouragement? Thanks also for the great links. I know Bev's and Deb's patterns but the Susan Kraus and crochet crab patterns are new to me and worth trying out (I am still a learner when it comes to reading crochet patterns!:))

pPitard - depression is not 'poor me' take care of yourself:manyheart and thank you for the great square/blanket pattern!

bsy-bee-lmt - hello and well done on 10 hats done already!:cheer

nicolep - I get bored working on afghans too and prefer squares. I think it is the fact that they get heavy and warm to work under as they get bigger (probably a time of life thing with me!:blush)where as when I am putting squares together it is only the final stages of bordering and edging that have me working with a big blanket on my lap !?

I have managed to get a fair bit of work done on my blanket (with the lumpy wool to use up:yarn) but I have yet to get my square making started. Still I have this evening to start that. I will stop by later tonight or in the morning. Happy crocheting everyone!:hook

Home again, last hours drive in heavy rain on a kind of foggy morning. Cars just kept disappearing in the grey fog and spray from the big trucks. Going to sit down with a cup of hot chocolate and see what I can get done. Only had time six rows yesterday but glad I took my project along. While getting my new tires I had a lady next to me that wanted me to explain what I was doing. Gave her a card I had for a LYS that does classes. She was pleased as she has retired and is looking for something to keep her hands busy. She remembered her grandmother crocheting and used to help her wind yarn by hand.

Want to join me for a cup of tea of hot chocolate?

Glad you made it home safe and sound. I'll join you in a cup of tea. It's gray and drippy here today. I've got one baby quilt top done and am about half way through the second one. The helmet liner is down to just an inch of ribbing around the face and it will be done.

'Morning! Slept late, that is such a treat.

Linda, the teapot is on. Looked through my tea jar and picked a Blackberry Sage from The Republic of Tea. I requested their catalog online and every once it a while they send me a sample tea. Have the big teapot out so come on over.

Is your helmet liner crocheted or knit? Do you have a link to a pattern you could post? Great work that you are also starting a second baby quilt. Thank for posting the charity links (post #54) and the blocks pattern (post #52), that pastel block afghan looks so fresh and snuggly.

GlasglowLindsay, we'd love to see pictures, post as you go so we can see your progress. I'd love to see your "lumpy blanket". Anyone else want to post a picture?

Gosh, barklikeaduck, my hands would have cramped long before your total of 37 small toys. Good job. I remember doing a skinny spiral with a long tail and putting eyes on the larger end, the tail was a bookmark, when I was just learning to crochet. I made more bookmarks than I had books but it was good practice.

cshort - how are the booties coming, one...hmmmm, is there a single bootie syndrome like the one sock syndrome? Wish I could find the pattern my Mom used. They always made me smile.

Nicole, one baby afghan and starting a second, full sized one...great, what color did you decide to use in the pound of love? My favorite is a turquoise and white stripe (love that 'ole fashion turquoise color, the peacock blue one.....where in the heck did the name "teal" come from? I don't remember it in my Crayola box!)

Susan, glad you got out and enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine. We are pretty short on sunshine here in the Pacific Northwest at this time of year. We have overcast skies again today though our temperatures have been warmer than normal. I've been out walking a couple days. I expect your bike ride energized you. How's the baby blanket coming?

Baby hats! Dianna, we need a picture or two. Bet you have the 11th one done by now. Great job.

I'm going to start a diagonal box stitch baby afghan this morning. Still trying to work my way through the Angel Print pastel I bought. It is so soft in color, an addition of a stronger color stripe or trim would make it pop but alone makes it more unisex. Thought the diagonal box stitch might be more boyish.

Hi, Darlene! The helmet liner is done. It's knitted and the pattern is care of my church group. They are part of our outreach program. Knitting is harder on my hands the crocheting, but some patterns don't have crochet versions,sooooooo....... It's been raining most of the day here, with no let up in sight.:rain

I know that I have been quiet this weekend. We recieved a disturbing call from MI this weekend and I am making a flanelghan afghan to send back and raffel off. I am trying to get it done fast I have not had much time to be online. I have 2 strips done and stitched together and the third one is almost done.

Susan - love the color changes in your blanket. Was that a varigated yarn?

Dorothy - you are whipping right along if you are on strip three. Sorry to hear you had unsettling news. Will keep you in my prayers. Pop in when you can.

I've not really mastered taking pictures of what I've been working on but here goes: completed hexagon premie 'ghan 24" diameter; and the start of a corner to corner box stitch premie 'ghan. Had to see the subtle pastels.

post-7249-135897498865_thumb.jpg

post-7249-13589749887_thumb.jpg

post-7249-135897498873_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Susan your preemie blanket i lovely (very pretty yarn for a baby) well done on your finish.:clap

Dorothy great progress on your project sorry to hear you had bad news this weekend!:(

Darlene your afghans are lovely. That hexagon is so pretty and I do like varigated wool:yarn. I have never seen a corner to corner crocheted granny blanket what a neat idea!:)

I am linking to a picture at Flickr rather than uploading one here as it is easier for me. So here is my lumpy wool blanket. Only a little over 2 balls of each colour left and then it will be gone!:cheer I am putting it aside for this afternoon and starting on some squares!

Bye for now Happy Crocheting!:hook

That's very pretty, Lindsay.

I hit a snag yesterday. The gal I take care of now has bronchitis &/or pneumonia and she was generous and gave it to me too. I'm sure I've also got bronchitis. My concentration is shot. I did finish the helmet liner and have started a second one. The baby quilts are going to have to wait until I can concentrate better or I will mess them up. Maybe I can dig out some of my yarn and make a preemie afghan instead.

Lindsay - How charming. That looks like it has nice "cush" and that it will be quite snuggly, kind of like an extra hug!

Linda - I'm sure you feel satisfaction in getting the helmet liner completed. I understanding having to but the baby quilt aside until your concentration improves. I think it is probably easier to frog crochet than rip out seams. Take time to take care of yourself. Rest and fluids. This is the time of year when bronchitis can seem to hang on forever.

I got a little more done last night on my corner to corner baby afghan. One or two more rows and I'll start the decrease, I love that part.

Archived