4TH Annual Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas - THANK YOU LETTER POST 319

badrhinogillett

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything looks so lovely. It seems the ghans have been rolling in here lately. I have a 4 or 5 stashed away in a box and a few WIPs to be completed. I'm hoping to be ready to ship by the end of the month. I have a week of vacation coming up and no definite plans so that will be a good time to finish a few. I am super surprised at the number blankies completed so far. Way to go!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm finally starting to feel a bit better with my arm and neck issue, so I've started picking up my crochet hook again. We are going camping next week and will have a long car ride, so I went to Joanns yesterday to get some fabric for some crocheted fleece blankets. I thought you'd all want to know that the remnants are 50% off the regular remnant price right now. I was able to get fabric almost a yard in length and only paid $1.50 for each of them! And that will make 2 blankets!

It will make a great car project. I just have to get the holes done before I leave.

Glad you could post and give us an update on your health.

Enjoy your trip, it's been so warm I hope you all are camping near the water!

I haven't done much on my seventh babyghan, but I knew I would fizzle out over the summer. I keep telling myself it's okay, we have plenty of time. That goes for all of us, we have plenty of time!

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer- :hook

We got home yesterday Shelly... and funny I was just getting online to tell everyone I was back!

We went up to the Giant Redwoods in Northern California. It was amazing.

I was able to do some crochet edging on fleece ghans in the car ride. I got 6 regular sized ghans and 4 preemie sized. Not bad!

I'll post a picture later this weekend, plus one of the one that my sister-in-law did.

I did these fleece ghans during the car ride when we went camping. The orange and purple ones are full sized and the yellow are preemie. I got all the fabric at Joann's when the remnants were 50% off... some of the yarn I used was scrap, so the preemie ghans cost about 60 cents to make and the full sized ghans cost ... maybe $2. I love a deal!

The RR is done in ILTY.

post-2886-135897557462_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

These 3 are from my co-worker's two friends from church. June made the 2 ghans and Vera made the single one. All three are knit. I think the one Vera made looks like the receiving blankets that the wrap the babies in at the hospital... except this one is made with BAby Clouds. All of them are lovely!

post-2886-135897567486_thumb.jpg

post-2886-135897567492_thumb.jpg

Wow, they are rolling in. I have one round left on number seven and there is plenty of time so I'm continuing on.

Hope your are feeling well Kathryn. Finally read about your trip, sounds like a great time. Was it buggy and hot or was it cool?

Do you (you being anyone here with experience) buy the fleece blankets that go on sale for $1.99 and edge them? Or is it less expensive to buy the fleece from Joanns or Michaels and edge them? Don't know if I would have time for that but I certainly could buy blankets and send them to be crocheted.

How is everyone doing with their goals? Summer is almost over so it's time to kick it into a higher gear. :cheer

Wow, they are rolling in. I have one round left on number seven and there is plenty of time so I'm continuing on.

Hope your are feeling well Kathryn. Finally read about your trip, sounds like a great time. Was it buggy and hot or was it cool?

Do you (you being anyone here with experience) buy the fleece blankets that go on sale for $1.99 and edge them? Or is it less expensive to buy the fleece from Joanns or Michaels and edge them? Don't know if I would have time for that but I certainly could buy blankets and send them to be crocheted.

How is everyone doing with their goals? Summer is almost over so it's time to kick it into a higher gear. :cheer

Thanks Shelley - I'm starting to feel much better. Just yesterday I got a few cortisone shots in my shoulders and neck, so I'm hoping that helps too.

Our trip was great. Not too hot and the giant redwoods were truly amazing. We've really had a mild summer; however, this last week has been up to 100.

As far as edging fleece. What I've been doing this year, is going to the remnant bin when I'm in Joann's. Remnants are 50% off the regular price of the fabric.. and sometimes remnants are 50% off the remnant price! I try to buy what they have that is as close to a yard as possible - then I cut it in two and have 2 blankets that are 30 inches wide by however long. I edge it in whatever yarn I have in my stash and the usual cost for a blanket is $1 - and sometimes less! The first year I donated edged fleece, I was just buying the fabric when it went on sale.. but that still makes a blanket $3 or so. The less it costs me, the more I can do.

I usually check the remnant bins for fleece and flannel. Speaking of which, I haven't worked on one of those in a while :think.

I just counted and I have 7 finished blankets in my box. I probably have just as many WIPs. I will focus on finishing the WIPs.

My free time has been cut quite a bit. It's been 13 yrs since I finished college and I have decided to go back to work on getting a teaching certificate. Since I was not an education major it may take me a bit. I'm only taking one class this semester but it's a 400 level math :eek. What was I thinking? DH is going to be out of town for much of Sept and Oct. That with a full time job and the kiddos is going to keep me pretty busy. I'll be happy if I can finish the WIPs and get them shipped with the FOs.

Happy Hooking everyone!

IMy free time has been cut quite a bit. It's been 13 yrs since I finished college and I have decided to go back to work on getting a teaching certificate.

That's wonderful Jennifer! Good for you! I can't even begin to think about trying college level math at this point! I found myself back in school after my first marriage ended - I was just taking office courses (I had been a hairdresser) and just getting back in the routine was hard enough! Good luck to you!

I have a baby blanket I just finished. It's my first thing I've crocheted and it's a bit lopsided. I looked into blocking it, but I don't have anything but the floor big enough to block it on and with the pets...erm...not a good idea. It's not too bad, but the edges are bigger than the middle and so forth..would you still want it? And if so, where do I find where to send it.

I have a baby blanket I just finished. It's my first thing I've crocheted and it's a bit lopsided. I looked into blocking it, but I don't have anything but the floor big enough to block it on and with the pets...erm...not a good idea. It's not too bad, but the edges are bigger than the middle and so forth..would you still want it? And if so, where do I find where to send it.

I'd LOVE to have it! As far as it being lopsided... that's just a sign that it was handmade. It's part of what makes it lovely. The makers of Persian Rugs always put in a "mistake" on purpose - as they believe that only God is capable of making anything perfect and they use the flaw as a reminder.

Thank you for thinking of the babies. I'm pm you my address.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, you read those numbers right. Pam sent TWENTY-NINE afghans! Plus, 4 hats! I truly appreciate each and every one, but am fearful that with that high a number that someone is holding Pam hostage and making her crochet instead of sleep! Kinda like a Rumplestitskin of Crochet :lol!

These come in all sizes - most made with Homespun - and I'm going to guess that a few are in Baby Bee- whatever that one is, it's just heavenly!

God bless Pam - I've got 3 finished, but 29! Wow! She has rewards awaiting her aplenty!

Hey everyone. I have a box of blankies ready to be mailed. I will have to check to see how many made it in there. It will definitely push us over 200. Yeah!

Kathryn, I just sent you an email requesting your address. I'm not sure how I manage to lose track of so many things but it happens.

This box could be the last from me this year. My research paper and presentation will be due soon and DH has some training classes lined up that will have him away for a few weeks. I did teach a good friend to crochet and she has 1 small ghan completed and is working on a couple more. I might be able to send a few more just before deadline.

Thanks so much Jennifer! Can't wait to see them!

What is your research paper on?

I counted 13 in the box and I have 2 very close to being finished. I may wait til Monday to mail in hopes that I can complete them this weekend. Also, my friend Melissa may want to throw her completed one into the box.

The class is History of Mathematics. I don't quite have an exact topic statement but it will be something to the effect of how the work of Tycho Brahe and Johannes Kepler influenced the evolution from geocentricism to heliocentricism. The math part will be an analysis of Kepler's laws of planetary motion. Geocentricism is the belief that the earth is the center of the universe and heliocentricism is sun-centered.

I picked this class in hopes of gently easing back into student life. I was thinking it would be more history (dates, people, events, inventions, etc. related to math) than application but the amount of problems and the difficulty level for me is a little overwhelming. Fortunately, it looks like we aren't going to have any tests. As it stands, he is basing grades on attendance, class participation, reasearch papers, peer reviews of others' papers and a presentation. If he gives us a test I am so doomed.

Archived