4TH Annual Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas - THANK YOU LETTER POST 319

badrhinogillett

Welcome to the 2010 edition of me asking for your help once again. This is the fourth year that I'm coming to you to ask you to help me bring afghans to sick babies at Christmas time. You can see the 2009 posts here. From 2007 - 2009, you have helped me bring 357 afghans, and many hats and booties, to the hospital that saved my DS when he was born.

My son was born with an extremely rare disorder that could have killed him. We were given a miracle and today my son is perfectly healthy and thrives. I owe a debt to God and Oakland Children's Hospital that I can never repay.

Watching your child struggle to live is devastating. The thing that brought me hope in the darkest hours was knowing that there were people I had never met who were praying for my son- or who had made cards for us - the kindesses of people got me through.

My goal is to bring afghans, or booties, or hats, anything that you feel like making - to the NICU at Christmas time. Santa himself delivers gifts to the babies on Christmas and he has passed out your afghans in the past.

The NICU houses 40 babies at a time - from extreme preemie to children up to one year old. The hospital cares for children up to the age of 18. In 2009, we delivered 202 afghans - which is enough for 5 rotations of children in the NICU. My goal for 2010 is to bring 203 afghans. If we can bring more, so much the better - the more we bring, the more children we give hope to.

While I consider this a NICU drive, I'm happy to accept ANYTHING you would like to make for a child of ANY AGE. My mother goes with me on delivery day and she brings items for older kids. So, basically, I"m asking for your help to bring a gift to any child that might be at the hospital. If you are moved to make something for a teenager - great. If you are compelled to make something for an infant - great!

NICU ghans can be any size, and shape. The babies come in all sizes. Some are slightly larger than a barbie doll. Some - like my DS - are born full term and large. Some are a year old.

Afghans for preemies - some preemies don't make it home. Many do. For those that don't - as the sweet baby passes on, they are wrapped in an afghan while their parent's hold them. Then, the parents have something to keep that was once their child's. Therefore, making a preemie ghan on the slightly larger size can be beneficial - something that can wrap around the baby. However, the smaller ghans that can go on the child in the issolette are needed too.

I'm asking for any shape - any pattern - any yarn afghan that you want to make.

Edgerydoo? great! Knit? great! quilt? great! Amigurumi for an older child? great! booties? great! hats? great! slippers for big kids? great! (you get the idea)

You can send me anything at any time. Delivery will be the week after Thanksgiving - that gives the hospital time to organize before the holiday.

Thank you, once again, for your help in the past and for even taking the time to consider helping again. I have been blessed by your generosity and I am truly grateful for it.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We already have our first donation. JenniferElyse74 has already sent a box of goodies. I will get a picture posted.. however, I need to get the house cleaned and organized before I take the ghans out again. Once thngs die down from Christmas organizing, I'll post a picture.

As soon as Christmas festivities die down I plan on getting back to the baby blankets. I still have three in progress that just didn't make it in time for the box I sent.

I also make beaded bookmarks. They are quick and easy and I have a friend and my step-daughter who help me out. Do you think those would be appropriate for the older children? We can ususally do 15-20 in an evening if we put our minds to it. They lay flat inside the book and dangle from top and bottom. These are some we made for a co-worker for her ladies group for Mother's day.

post-23834-135897486107_thumb.jpg

Those are beautiful Jennifer! Absolutely I think those would be great for some of the older kids!

The Child Life Expert at the hospital who greeted us the day we dropped off, said that they frequently use donations for prizes when the older kids get together for games... and they always gravitate to the handmade items.

Those would be wonderful!

How exciting, blankets for 2010 already. WTG Jennifer. :cheer

BTW, your bookmarks are cute!

I now have six pounders set aside for next year. I hope I can double my contribution. :hook

Kathryn, I am new here ( a few days old) and I already have some baby ghans that I made that I am more then willing to donate. I love making baby blankets, but will never have a child of my own. Odd, huh?

I dont know where to send them though. (I am not privy to some of the parts of the forum yet.)

How exciting, blankets for 2010 already. WTG Jennifer. :cheer

BTW, your bookmarks are cute!

I now have six pounders set aside for next year. I hope I can double my contribution. :hook

Thank you. :hug

I am hoping to stock up on pounders after Christmas. Anyone who asks, I tell them Michael's gift card for Christmas. I'm hoping to double my contribution as well. I am a perpetual starter and after doing some digging this evening I have found 6 baby blankets in progress. I think my resolution is going to be to become a perpetual finisher. :lol

Kathryn, I am new here ( a few days old) and I already have some baby ghans that I made that I am more then willing to donate. I love making baby blankets, but will never have a child of my own. Odd, huh?

I dont know where to send them though. (I am not privy to some of the parts of the forum yet.)

Kathryn will send you a PM with her address.

As I was scrolling through some other posts earlier I saw your signature and thought you were me for a minute. :yes My siggy on Yahoo email is in purple, same font. Had to do a double-take.

I love this project! I just revisited this site today after about a year's absence, and will participate in the 2010 drive. My daughter is a NICU/PICU nurse and travels to different hospitals for two or three months each. I'm her road manager, so I have time to crochet to my heart's content. I have a company, Mountain View FiberWorks, that makes purses, bags, accessories. Up until now, I have sold my products through holiday and festival shows. I am now creating a website and hope to be online in January, 2010. Do baby blankets have to be blue, yellow or pink? Does anyone have a quickie pattern that might look good in primary colors? Thanks.

I love this project! I just revisited this site today after about a year's absence, and will participate in the 2010 drive. My daughter is a NICU/PICU nurse and travels to different hospitals for two or three months each. I'm her road manager, so I have time to crochet to my heart's content. Do baby blankets have to be blue, yellow or pink? Does anyone have a quickie pattern that might look good in primary colors? Thanks.

The Quick Stripes Baby Afghan by Monica Kennedy is one of my favorites.

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?grpId=3659174697252379&articleId=281474977275692

I have also done the Little Boy Blue Round Ripple by Monica Kennedy and will probably do another one soon.

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?grpId=3659174697252379&articleId=281474977275501&nav=Groupspace

I am in a picture posting mood. Here are a couple of my WIPs for the NICU... A couple of the points look a little wonky because they started folding under on me before DH could get the pic.

The first is in sport weight ILTY, Hot Spot Multi and Cream. The pattern is CrochetDad's 9 point RR.

The second is in WW ILTY, Pizazz Pink and Arbour Ombre. That pattern started off as AggieMay's 12 Point that I somehow changed to an 8 Point.

post-23834-13589748748_thumb.jpg

post-23834-135897487483_thumb.jpg

Those are beautiful Jennifer! I love the color combinations!

Deedles, thank you so much for your help! Any pattern you like doing is the best one to do. The smaller the baby, the more monitors they will be on and therefore, the more wires to get caught in holes. So, my only suggestion is that the smaller sized blankets have less holes.

I do alot of round ripples, only because that's my favorite thing to do. Whatever pattern you like doing is the best one to do. And, ANY and all colors are great. If you click the link in the first post, it will take you to the 2009 drive and you can see the pictures there of the ghans I received. They came in all shapes and sizes and colors.

Archived