4TH Annual Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas - THANK YOU LETTER POST 319

badrhinogillett

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone want a tally of the ghans we've delivered in all 4 years?

Nathan was born in 2006 and the idea for the drive was born. I'll post just the afghan totals, because I know those off the top of my head. Every year there have been hats and booties, for which I am greatful, but I can only hold so many numbers in my head or I'll forget my phone number! :lol

2007 - 44 afghans

2008 - 111 afghans

2009 - 202 afghans

2010 thus far - 272 afghans

Thats a grand total of 629 afghans thus far - and more will be coming before I deliver this year

Think of how many lives you have all touched by your generosity and love. Think of how many mothers, like I was, feel alone and scared - that then, because of the kindness of a stranger felt like with the love and prayers of stranges there was hope. Think of the baby from 2007, who loved one of your blankets so much that it's now careworn and faded - whose mother washes it by hand now so that that child will always have the afghan that was given to them in the hospital.

All of you are incredible, and I'm greatful to each and every one of you.:hug

Look at these cuddly warm blankets from Melody! All the fleece is so warm and cuddly and happy! Plus, do you notice that the shell blanket has a different color every row? I'd have to rip my hair out to do that!

In addition, there are 10 wonderful hats in various sizes!

post-2886-135897602002_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of Nathan - he saw me taking the pictures of Melody's donations and he posed for the camera (although, it wasn't pointed at him!), so I took a picture so you can all see the sweet child that was saved by this wonderful hospital.

post-2886-13589760201_thumb.jpg

Kathryn -- Wow 280 baby blankets already this year. That is fantastic. I'm so happy I did mine earlier in the year and got them to you for this year's delivery. Congrats on the fantastic drive this year and thank you again for all you do for those little babies. God Bless! :hug

Kathryn -- Wow 280 baby blankets already this year. That is fantastic. I'm so happy I did mine earlier in the year and got them to you for this year's delivery. Congrats on the fantastic drive this year and thank you again for all you do for those little babies. God Bless! :hug

Thank you Cindy for all you do - and to everyone who has contributed to the drive!

I wanted to tell you Cindy, a few weeks ago, my mom was helping me move the afghans from the rubbermaid containers I store them in, to the boxes that I deliver them in. We came across one of the ghans you did and my mom mentioned how soft it was. When I told her that you had unraveled an entire sweater to make it, she just about fell over! :) It still stuns me you are that creative!

I don't think I have any more ghans coming, but I'll hold off on calling 280 the final number until I deliver Tuesday afternoon. It's amazing!

Tomorrow is delivery day - and I'm bringing 280 afghans plus numerous hats and booties! We are bringing 78 more afghans this year than last! :cheer Thank you all so much!

I'll let you know tomorrow when the blankets are in the hands of the hospital. I'll start the post for 2011 up during January. However, feel free to send me anything at anytime - I've got a rubbermaid container inside a rubbermaid shed waiting for goodies!

I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of all the people here on the Ville. When I started this project in 2007, I had no idea that it could grow to what it has. I am humbled by all of you.

I've said it before, but it still holds true.. if I could, I'd have you all over for tea and coffee and lots of chocolate cake! :hug

I just got back from delivering the afghans! You are all famous at the hospital! My contact at the hospital met me and wanted to know how many of you there were - then people from the staff just kept coming out to see everything! Everyone was amazed and overwhelmed by your generosity.

The hospital has a school on site, as many of the children are there long term. Right now is vacation time for them, so the staff that work in with the kids will be going through the afghans and hats and booties to help assemble goodie bags for the babies for Christmas. They told me they have a wonderful time picking out just the right afghan for just the right baby.

Thank you so much to all of you! I include a picture here of the hosptial staff, my mother, Nathan and I as we were delivering. The boxes you see here are only a fraction of what I brought down.

post-2886-135897602291_thumb.jpg

What a great idea! My 3-year-old was born premature and had to spend some time in the NICU and I know it can be a scary time for the parents. I would love to send some blankets to you. I have lots and lots of baby to left over from other projects and I'll get started right away. :hook

Thank you Mommy2alex! I'm a fellow NICU mom - that's how this project started. I collect afghans all year long and always deliver the week after Thanksgiving. I have 2 huge rubbermaid containers that I store in a clean rubbermaid shed - so feel free to send anything my way any time you'd like to do so!

Congrats Kathryn! If it was me delivering all those 'ghans I know I would tear up so I'm sure you must feel a sense of pride when you make your delivery.

I still think we should have a "virtual" meet up day just after the first of the year where we can all pledge our participation, set our personal goal for the year and share a cuppa.

I think right after the holidays I am going to try to find a couple different patterns to work. I really enjoyed the Sweet Dreams so that will be on my list. And maybe some Granny Stripes. And of course the Baby Blankie was cute and quick, and,,,, :lol it's endless really.

Congrats again everyone- :cheer:hook

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Kathryn for all you do and what a wonderful project this has become with all your help. I look forward to doing a few RRs for your next year's drive. I found it helpful to do my blankets early in the year so I don't run out of time around the holiday rush. God bless and congrats on another fabulous year! :hug

Kathryn ~ I just wanted to thank you for working so hard on this special project and to everyone else who so generously contributed. I look forward to helping out in the future. :manyheart

P.S. Thanks for sharing a photo. (What a precious and adorable little boy!!!!)

You all have no idea how amazing I think it is that you thank me - when it is ALL OF YOU - who donate to it! I feel compelled to give back to the hospital to show my gratitude to them and God that my son is alive and well.. and all of you help me do that! You humble me.

Here is the thank you note that just arrived in the mail for all of us:

Thank you so much for the beautiful, bountiful, donation of afghan and hats! Once again, you and your network of skilled artists have helped make the holidays so much brighter for "our" kids.

I know the families and patients really appreciate the labor of love that you so generously give. I saw the faces last year on Christmas Day when we gave out the afghans and hats! Please know that you have made a difference for so many, and it is very much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Mary Kelly

Manager, Child Life SErvices

Children's Hospital & Reserach Center at Oakland

• 3 weeks later...
Kathryn, when are you starting a new thread?? :)

In just about 5 minutes!

Hmmm perhaps for 2011 I know what to do with all the hats I've been making! (baby to adult size LOL). For some reason, I like makin' hats :P

Oooh, Cris - I'd LOVE to take them off your hands! The hospital could absolutely use them!

Archived