Quick Gift Ideas for Dad

My dad's 67th birthday is next week and I don't have the money to buy him anything as I'd planned. I have a huge stash of yarn in all colors though, so I'm looking for something I could make him in the next week. I work full-time and have a 2 year old son, so it would need to be something I could just work on a couple hours a day. My dad's only hobbies are gardening and watching tv. I gave him one of those armchair pocket things last year and he loved it, so I think he'd appreciate something else handmade this year. Thanks in advance for your help!

It's that time of year...do you live in hat/scarf climate? I also liked the slipper idea...also could you bake, I mean a loaf of hand made banana bread or special cookies? How about a bookmark and a book to go with the slippers? I get most of my books at Goodwill for $1.49 for hardcovers.

If you have enough yarn in two colours this is the absolute all time best ever afghan pattern on the planet

(yeah i like this one a lot :rofl )

The Lumberjack Flannelghan

It goes very very quickly - you can make a panel in a couple of hours. I could make 2 panels a day when my wrist is behaving.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I ended up attempting to make a hat for my dad yesterday, but when it was done it fit my 2 year old! grrrr.... So, now I'm back to square one. I usually get him something like a cd or a book of political cartoons or sweatshirt or something like that, so finding something to make him is a bit of a challenge. I LOVE that lumberjack afghan though. Maybe I can go all-out and do that for Christmas, but for his birthday, I want to find something smaller and more simple. Hmmmm....

If you have enough yarn in two colours this is the absolute all time best ever afghan pattern on the planet

(yeah i like this one a lot :rofl )

The Lumberjack Flannelghan

It goes very very quickly - you can make a panel in a couple of hours. I could make 2 panels a day when my wrist is behaving.

I was going to suggest that, too! It works up very quickly. It really is the best afghan on the planet! :manyheart

Do you know the trick for making a hat to fit? Start at the crown doing SC in the round, increasing evenly so it lies flat. (That's like 6 sc to begin, 12 sc in 2nd row, 18 sc in 3rd row, etc.)

Measure a head you want it to fit, for example 22" around.

Now, you will keep increasing the crown until the diameter it is 22 ÷ Pi (3.14). (Use the calculator!) So, in this case, you'd keep increasing until your circle's diameter is 7". (The diameter is the distance across the widest part of the circle - as though you were cutting a pie in half.)

It works the other way, too. If you knit a circle and want to know what size head it will fit, multiple the diameter by 3.14.

So, once your circle is 7", stop increasing and sc around and around until it's long enough.

It works with dc and hdc - any stitch - as long as you work the crown in the round, increasing, in a flat circle. Then stop increasing and stitch even until it's long enough.

I hope that helps!

Archived