SC & DC, been doing them wrong all this time.

I feel absolutly dumb. Was looking at a stitch guide, & realized I've been doing them wrong all along.

I guess to best describe what I've been doing, is I've added a 1/2 stitch. In case of DC, I did a YO, stuck it thru the "v's", YO, pulled thru 1 loop, then YO, thru 2, YO thru last 2. W/ SC, I stuck it thru the "v's", YO, thru 1, YO thru 2.

No wonder my projects have been so loose.

Don't feel too bad, we've all done similar things at times! And you know, you have a unique technique in your repertoire that you may want to use someday to get a special effect:hook

What stitch guide did you refer to?

Sounds like you were doing edcs and escs (extended stitches).

Yep! I actually use those stitches quite a bit. :lol

Sure does sound like extended sc and dc's to me. So you've been doing a correct stitch all along! Might not be what you intended, but still something positive.

We've all done things like that before. :hug

:rofl Looks like we all had the same idea at the same time! :lol

Sounds like you were doing edcs and escs (extended stitches).

"edc" and "esc", eh? Thanks for the heads up Granny Square and all who shared, now I'll have to catch up with Cat!....Your "mistake", Cat, is my "something new learned" for today! :h5 So, off I go to extend my stitches....

I made my entire first doily that way as well. It looks fine actually, but it's bigger than it should have been hehe. Nobody else seems to notice that the stitches are all done wrong, except for me of course. At least you figured out that A) you had a problem and B) what was wrong =)

:h5 So, off I go to extend my stitches....

:lol Extended stitches are also the basis for chainless first rows. The extra loop formed by going thru the one loop becomes the 'chain' for the next stitch. Edc is one way to make increases 'into the air' at the end of a row for filet.

Using edc in filet also helps makes the meshes squarer.

Somewhere around here I have Elmore's crochet guide where he explained the esc and edc and all. Nothing wrong with 'em. And the chainless foundation is a HUGE help when you're doing something that says "chain 23714 and then sc back" :)...well, maybe it isn't that many, but it sure feels like it! <grin>

I have almost quit doing actual triples in favor of extended doubles because they're easier for me to handle and don't cause any problems if you're using them consistently.

I did an entire afghan in what I thought was dc... turns out it was the herringbone hdc that is used in the Fat Bottom Bag pattern.... yo, insert in st, yo, pull thru "v" & thru 1 lp, yo, pull thru 2. I felt like a fool when I realized what I was doing, and then a few years later I decided to make the FBB and said hey!! :eek I've done this before!! :lol

My very first blanket was done in a sc, but I did it in a sl st. I didn't know until my MIL came over and asked what in the world I was making! She still brings it up after about 8 yrs. I thought I was doing really good too, but couldnt figure out how it was going to cover up anyone or anything!:rofl It was very, very small!

I am teaching a wmn to crochet (well, sorta, we can't sit down together and work, so I showed her how to chain, sc and to turn) initially she was slip stitching. and today, i saw her work and not sure what she fully did. she had gotten good at the sc, but earlier in the work, she had to "loops" (like what you would have your hook in) poking out of her work. it broke my heart to suggest she frog it back to there and redo that part. but she'd also been missing the last stitch or 2 (all on same side) so was starting to slant.

I told her even the most experience of crocheter has to rip at times. (i'm doing an easy baby ghan at moment, made 5 others by same pattern, this 1 though, I've had to rip bakc several rows more than once... for some odd reason). i'm hoping she will still keep trying w/ it and not give up.

the stitch you were doing is a correct stitch, and can be quite lovely. i made a filet shawl or 2 using it. it's all for fun anyway :)

Sandy

This thead had me learning & laughing at the same time, a great combination :)

Ericalynn, I admire your patience for attempting an entire blanket in sl st, wow!

Cat, I always thought extended stitches sounded a bit scary, but now that you've explained what you were doing, I'm off to try them for myself. So thank you!

Archived