Wish me luck..... gonna make an emergency comfort blanket/shawl

That's horrible news for you and his family - I'm sure they will appreciate your thought and love which'll go into the blanket :hug

Jennifer, you and your friend's family are in my prayers. I'm so sorry to hear that you are dealing with this. A co-worker here at the hotel killed himself in July, and it's a very difficult thing to cope with. I wish you luck in getting the blanket finished in record time, and if you need to chat, my PMs and email are always open.

So sad. A comfort shawl is great idea. You will get it done, 3 weeks ago I made a comfort shawl within a 24 hour period. I don't know why but I was crocheting faster than ever. Could have been some divine intervention.

Depending on how quickly you want to get it made - you can use 2 strands and an N hook.

Our bodies and psyches are set up for action. When something happens we want to do something. I think a blanket is a wonderful idea.

A shawl crocheted in healing thoughts and prayers is a beautiful way to show your friend's family the support they need at this time, and will likely help ease your own heartache some in the process...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family, Heavenlypurple. I have no doubt that you'll be able to accomplish this caring project. :hug

Just to add....Let's say it takes you a bit of time to finish your prayer shawl...Sometimes, when all the initial activity and adrenalin-filled times surrounding the memorial services have subsided and when everyone else has returned to everyday life, it's the best time to touch base again with the family, to let them know how much you care and how much your friend is missed. Take the time you need -Good and loving intentions/deeds have a way of working out for the best.

Lisa thank you for your offer but I have enough materials for now. My sister and my mom gave me their yarn to use. I won't be giving it to them until after the services are done. I want to give them time alone to grieve. Especially his mother and father,

So sorry to hear your news. This is a wonderful idea and I'm sure the family will be comforted by your gesture. My prayers are with your friends and with you as well as you make this special comfort afghan.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I know how hard it is coping with a loved one's suicide. My son had just turned three when his father killed himself. It is very hard to deal with, and although the hurt and feeling of loss never really go away, the love and support of family and friends makes coping a little easier. Tears will slowly turn to smiles as you share happy memories of your friend and how he touched your lives.

You are very kind to make a comfort blanket for his family. I know it will bring comfort to them, and making it will help you through this difficult time as well. I will be praying for all of you. :hug :hug

Archived