Hard times hit county fair

DH and I just got back from turning in our entries for the county fair. As we were turning them in, the lady tagging them said that there wasn't enough money to purchase ribbons so this year they are using stickers that say 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. BUMMER!!!!!!! First time either one of us entered anything and all we might get is a sticker!!!!! Wonder what they will do for best of show? :think

Here's an idea...they could buy some Ribbon on a Roll and decorate with the #'s 1st,2nd & 3rd place, Use glue & glitter. Why couldn't they be Crafty?

jaye

So sad the economy has even hit the county fairs.

With all the taxes we all pay to our counties you would think they could afford a few ribbons.

Good luck anyways..... hope you win a BLUE STICKER.

When you win, go buy your own ribbon. Your item places, you deserve the ribbon as a keepsake.

I had to buy Blue neck ribbons for the last Taekwondo medals I won because they ran out of First Place medal (distinguished only by the color of the neck ribbon). The ribbons cost me about $3 each and made me feel better.

I suppose that they won't be paying out any money for your ribbon/stickers either...the Ingham County Fair (MI) also announced that there wasn't any money to pay out any prizes this year, but they were giving ribbons.

I suppose that they won't be paying out any money for your ribbon/stickers either...the Ingham County Fair (MI) also announced that there wasn't any money to pay out any prizes this year, but they were giving ribbons.

That's really a shame. No prize money. That's not fair. And what about the money that it took to enter the articles?

It's terrible when the economy even effects simple things like county fairs.

:manyheart

Sounds weird that they could not come up with a few hundred dollars for ribbons. Or did not even announce it in the newspaper or anywhere.

Maybe, for next year, you could get on the agenda for a County meeting and bring this up to eliminate the problem for next year. Is there a group of Scrappers that could donate/ make the ribbons for next year? Some of those Scrapbooking gals sure can make beautiful things! Keep us posted!;)

DH and I just got back from turning in our entries for the county fair. As we were turning them in, the lady tagging them said that there wasn't enough money to purchase ribbons so this year they are using stickers that say 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. BUMMER!!!!!!! First time either one of us entered anything and all we might get is a sticker!!!!! Wonder what they will do for best of show? :think

At least you live in an area that has a county fair.

Im from Indiana, but live in a hellhole in TX (7 yrs in July) where there are no county fairs.

Not sure what the point of even having any 4-h clubs when they have no county fairs to work towards?. (The 4-H in this town is about non existant anyways)

Anyway, I miss the county fairs and I was always in 4-H growing up.

Our county fair went to stickers on the canned goods a couple of years ago. They still give real ribbons on everything else. I actually turn all mine back in to reuse the next year. I don't feel a need to keep every single ribbon I win, just the special ones like best of show (no, I don't get those very often!)

Whats even sadder are the number of entries in general, there are fewer entries each year at many fairs. Sometimes you are the only entry in a class or division. Thats a sure fire way to win a ribbon. What happened to the days when the tents or buildings were jammed to the rafters with entries.

Archived