Photograph of a woman's hands while crocheting: link

Beautiful and such a strong image. I like to think of the many women who just got 'er done for all those centuries. And we are in that continuum for those who are yet to come.

Love it! :manyheart

Awww, That picture reminds me of my Yia Yia's(grandmother's) hands. Beautiful, just beautiful! Thanks for sharing the picture with us Gran! :hug

What a moving image. There is a commanding presence here. It isn’t anything I’ll ever forget. I’m reminded of another image, though the composition and subjects are entirely different. In about ’99 there was a program on PBS, the subject of the program was modern-day frescos (the painting method used by Michelangelo on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel) and the image was of an elderly woman pushing a wheelbarrow in which there was a young tree and a shovel. It was entitled “Hope”

John Hablinski, Corpus Christi, Texas, USA

Tender and Strong, certainly brings up memories and stirs the emotions.

And what an appropriate title, "Time on her hands"

That delicate lace would probably outlast all of us. Makes me feel good that the traditions are being passed on.

Beautiful !!.

I emailed them to ask if I could maybe be allowed to make a cross stitch pattern from it.

And.... what a great afgan it would make if they let me make a pattern *fingers crossed'.

I got a very fast answer to my question. Sadly the copyright doesn't allow making patterns, other than for personal use. Ah well... dreams aren't always meant to come true.

Flia, do you know someone who does handwork who would let you take a photo? My mother has several friends in their nineties who still do fine handwork. A modern photo wouldn't be the same as that one from 1948, with those women in their dark dresses, and all that 1948 implies, but it would give you a model.

I showed the photo to my mother and we had several lovely conversations about elderly women she knew at that time who did fine work.

Flia, do you know someone who does handwork who would let you take a photo? My mother has several friends in their nineties who still do fine handwork. A modern photo wouldn't be the same as that one from 1948, with those women in their dark dresses, and all that 1948 implies, but it would give you a model.

I showed the photo to my mother and we had several lovely conversations about elderly women she knew at that time who did fine work.

Of course I could do that.

But I often get inspiration to make patterns when I see a beautiful scene like this (and I'm by no means a photographer). Sometimes they allow me to do a pattern, and sometimes they don't.

Archived