Tunisian Hot-pad

happy stitcher

Here’s a project that’s good for learning the simple stitch in Tunisian crochet:

http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/02/tunisian-short-row-dishcloth-video.html

They call it “short row”, but I believe it’s usually called simple stitch.

I haven’t done much in Tunisian – just played around with it some. This was easy to follow because of the video tutorial, and it gave me a little more experience with it.

I doubled the yarn, using two cotton strands in place of one, and used an I hook for a tighter stitch – it made a nice hot-pad for the kitchen. I used 14 stitches instead of 15, but that wasn’t intentional. I started it by making it 22 stitches, and when that looked like it was going to be too large I just ripped some out and started from there. It really doesn’t matter how large your first chain is, as long as you continue the same number throughout the project. Using two strands and a smaller hook was hard on my hands, but I just let them rest now and then before continuing. It made a nice thick pad.

If you decide to try this and want to alternate colors like I did, you'll need to finish off each color after each wedge is complete, and then join with the new color in the first horizontal bar of the last wedge - I joined only through the front, not both sides. I hope that makes sense!

It does buckle just a little, but I think that if I wash it and stretch it out before it dries it'll be better. It's not a bad buckle, either - I'm sure it's because I stitched so tightly with two strands.

:hook

post-8399-135897430379_thumb.jpg

Thanks everybody!

I've really been enjoying using it! :lol

It's funny how much enjoyment I can get out of making and using things like this!

It barely buckles at all anymore. Using it has made it relax a bit. I would recommend this pattern to anybody who wants to learn Tunisian, and anybody who wants a unique washrag or hot-pad. I'll definitely be making more in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
363152143.jpg

They call it “short row”, but I believe it’s usually called simple stitch.

:hook

The stitch itself is the tunisan,or afghan, simple stitch. What they are calling 'short row" is the method used of making the wedges, not the stitch itself.

Archived