Spring Interweave Crochet

I received my spring IC this week and am surprised there's no thread about it. I loved the winter volume, but am less excited about this one as these sweaters and tops just didn't move me (although the baby blanket is adorable). I was, however, delighted that so many of the patterns included plus size instructions, as I know from my fellow 'villers that there are hardly any patterns that include these directions. And the lace article was fascinating.

Thoughts? Comments? Patty

I just got my copy yesterday and so far I'm thrilled. But there again, I don't do thread work, so I hadn't even noticed the lack of patterns in thread!

I will definitely be making a couple of the tops, the baby hoodie, possibly the blanket. I want to try the lace design and maybe make the scarf. And I'm intrigued by the joined-up dc work (can't remember what it's called, sorry). Okay, so it might not all happen but I am enjoying the excitement of the wanting to make if you know what I mean?

I also really enjoy the articles and the general tone of the magazine.

I was just saying to my sister earlier today that it's inevitable some issues will interest me more than others. I'm sorry you're not so keen on this one, maybe you could sell it? It's so disappointing when we don't feel full of excitement over a new magazine isn't it?

I looked at it in the store today, and didn't see much that really interested me, besides the aran baby blanket which I thought was gorgeous, (although I don't know if I'd make it in lime green.) I didn't buy it, although I might reconsider, just for that pattern.

When I first got my copy, it didn't grab me so much right away, but as I've looked at it more, I really like it. the linked stitches are really cool, I haven't tried the triples yet but doubles are very neat, I love the texture they make. Doris Chan's article on lace is great, the cable blanket is brilliant, and yay for the curvy model and larger size patterns!

Sell it? No way! I might need it in the future. LondonLaura is right, some volumes interest me more than others, and this just happens to be one of the ones that doesn't thrill me. But I loved Winter, which others might have thought was uninteresting, so it all evens out in the end. But like I said, the normal-sized looking models and the seeing all the plus size patterns, while not useful to me size-wise, is a good thing we can all appreciate.

The designer of the baby blanket said on Ravelry that she was disappointed when they sent her that yarn for the blanket because she was hoping for something else. I was surprised to hear that they send the yarn to the designer, rather than the designer submitting a finsihed product in a specified size to them. Maybe thats the way it works for only non-clothing items? Patty

I find the more I look at past issues the more things appeal to me. I also know that the Crochet Dude has had boxes of yarn delivered to him (photos on blog) and has to come up with patterns for that yarn.

You would think it would be the other way around, wouldn't you? Our crochet designers are very talented!

Sell it? No way! I might need it in the future. ......

I was surprised to hear that they send the yarn to the designer, rather than the designer submitting a finsihed product in a specified size to them. Maybe thats the way it works for only non-clothing items? Patty

:roflI agree, can't sell an issue, never know what you might need in the future :rofl

As far as designs and yarn, I think often the design is submitted and then the publisher will want it made in a different yarn for publication. that's for clothes as well as other things. I thought the bright green was an odd choice for the piece, but it was eye catching and it does show the cables really well. Me, i tend to think off white is a good color for aran type stuff, but thats pretty boring I know.

Gosh, I had no idea designers get sent yarn and have to work from there. That's fascinating!

I am apparently the odd one out - I really like the green of the baby blanket, it really caught my eye. Well, you couldn't really miss it could you :rofl I am a lover of traditional ways, but I enjoy quirky stuff too and this appealed to me.

Oh and ain't it true - we never know what we might want/need in the future! I love that feeling when I'm browsing through old magazines and suddenly see a pattern in a whole different way than before. Or when something that looked impossibly beyond my ability is now feasible :cheer

I love that feeling when I'm browsing through old magazines and suddenly see a pattern in a whole different way than before. Or when something that looked impossibly beyond my ability is now feasible :cheer

Agree, that's a neat feeling :hook (As opposed to the sinking feeling when you realize you HAD:( a bunch of magazines you gave away because you thought you'd never again be interested in those old patterns.....must not think about it....must tell self they really were taking up too much space.....)

Hi All, when I design for Interweave, I have a yarn and color in mind, I send in a swatch/sketch, but then 99% of the time the editor either changes the yarn or the color or both and sends me the yarn to make the item. They do this so that all the colors for the whole issue go well together. Also, they want a variety of yarn weights (except, you are right, there was no thread in this issue). The editor also needs to keep the advertisers happily advertising by trying to fairly represent their yarns in the issue. I'm ok with this because it makes the magazine possible.

My designs in this issue are the Amazing Grace Wrap and the Still Waters Shrug (which an error was found, I'm contacting Interweave today to get the errata up.)

I think that baby blanket is seriously gorgeous in design, but that shade of green:eek.. Why, oh why???

I see that they're switching editors this issue. Maybe all those greens are the old editor's revenge. LOL Actually, I really like that green but I don't know if I'd use it for a baby blanket.

Archived