Crayon Keepers (works for crochet hooks too)

I created these after seeing someone else post pictures of something very similar. I wrote down how I made them, and I'm sharing the instructions, as they are different than any other method I've seen for similar ideas.

Of course, they could be made longer and with a smaller hook, for crochet hooks, though maybe not the steel hooks) :)

P3061363.jpg

P3061362.jpg

Supplies:

Scraps of WW yarn < 1 oz of MC, and CC each

H (5.5 mm) crochet hook

1. With MC, Chain 16.

2. Sc in second chain from hook, and each remaining chain (15)

3. Working in BLO, Ch 1, turn. Sc across (15)

4. Repeat step 3 until you have 9 "valleys" (not counting the half-valley at the outside edges.) F.O.

5. Count 9 sts from the edge that will be the bottom. Attach CC with sl st to that st (mountain, free loop from working MC) Sc remaining 8 sts in the free loops of that row.

6. Ch 1 turn. Sc across (9)

7. Ch 1, turn, Sc through both CC and free loops of next mountain row, down to end. (9)

8. Repeat 6 and 7, until you have one "mountain" row left. Repeat step 6 one last time. Then.

9. Ch 1, turn, Sl st through CC and free loops of last mountain row. FO

Edging:

Determine which side you want your ties to be on. Beginning in any corner, 3 sc in corner st, sc evenly down sides. When you are at the bottom edge, sc through both layers to close the crayon's spots. When you get to the side you want your ties on, work sc in 8 sts.[ Chain 25, sl st in 2nd chain and remaining chains, sl st in 8th sc] twice. sc to end of side. When you meet your beginning sc, F.O. Weave in tails.

That's it! Enjoy

Ooooo!! I'm going to make one of these for my nephew; he loves my yarny things!! And I think I may just try one for my hooks, too! Thank you for sharing :hug

:clap What a wonderful idea! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern details :hug

I will give this a try - I have lots of crochet hooks that don't fit into regular cases.

Thankyou for sharing. I'll make one of these with slightly larger pockets for my bamboo/aluminum hooks. I've been trying to figure out what to keep them in together.

Thank you for all the kudos.:) I was happy to share it; it was neat discovering a new way to put in the front pocket piece that didn't require after-the-fact sewing (hate assembly :P). It's obviously very flexible...and if you want to protect the tops of hooks, you could do a shorter version of the front pocket along the top edge.

:)

Archived