Pineapples, only for girls?

I think most people would think that anything frilly or lacy at all is feminine, while straight lines and solid fabric is masculine. So i think pineapples and shells would not be what most people expect to see on a baby boy. More like ribbing, moss/seed stitch, or just solid sc/hdc/dc.

Pineapples for a boy = no, Shells = depends.

There are a lot of different shell stitches, some are 'girlier' than others. V-stitches are a type of shell, but not particularly girly; there are also some asymmetric shell stitches that are textural, but not girly. (like the bubbles blanket http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/patterns/bubbles_baby_blanket.php , which also looks nice with 1 strand and a smaller hook)

If you use a traditional (scallop-shaped) shell stitch in a pattern where you switch colors every 2 rows, it looks more like ric-rac, which is not necessarily girly...

Pinapples seem pretty lacey to me. You could probably get away with putting a newborn in 'em, but not once he started getting bigger.

Shells seem fine to me. It would probably depend on how the shells were used, but overall I'd say they're fairly neutral.

I wouldn't put pineapples on a boy, either, no matter if he is a newborn. Shells would be fine, though, I think- there are a lot of different styles and if you used it in a neutral or boyish color, it would be nice.

I think it´s really interesting to find out what you all think about pineapples and shells on babies :)

Most of the baby patterns I have liked, would fit a girl, but not necessary a boy. I think it´s boring with just one type of stitch (sc, hdc, dc and so on), I want some kind of stitch pattern. That way, it´s more fun to make too.

A cable pattern would be really cute for a boy, I think. Wonder if there are any of those out there? Maybe Lisa Naskrent has one...:think Well, I don't see one on her site. But look at this http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78332&highlight=cable Looks like fun to do, and very cute for a boy.

A cable pattern would be really cute for a boy, I think. Wonder if there are any of those out there? Maybe Lisa Naskrent has one...:think Well, I don't see one on her site. But look at this http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78332&highlight=cable Looks like fun to do, and very cute for a boy.

I also knit, so I have a wide cable pattern (and other baby patterns) selection to choose from :)

But I have some cotton yarn I wanted t use, and I rather crochet than knit with that kind of cotton yarn. That´s why I have searched for neutral baby jackets :)

Archived