Oh how I love thrift stores

Kathleen

There is a Mormon thrift store called the Deseret Industries that is close to my home where they ALWAYS have tons of yarn for sale. The mormon women are really into handicrafts so there are lots of other crafty things there too. The best is the yarn though. I got this ENTIRE stash of yarn for $6 total! The small german labled yarn has 12 skeins and are wool! The dark blue and brownish are acrylic blends, while the turquoise is a 100% mohair. The small bright ones are some sort of plastized sythetic rug type yarn. I left the store without even denting the supply they had.

Got a Deseret Industries near you.. I'd check it out!

IMG_1561.jpg

I love thrift stores and garage sales. :manyheart Shop them regularly. Does make it a little hard to tell someone the thread or yarn you used when you aren't sure yourself. :think Sometimes I am lucky sometimes not. But I love looking.

I don't have one near me but my mom sometimes finds nice yarns for me at our local thrift shops. Congratulations on your finds :)

ohhh, i do miss that store!!! lol. i'm lds and we lived in utah for about six years and how i miss that store!!! i once found a awesome couch for 25.00$ there. brand new!!! later saw it at rcwilley for 400.00 what a find!!! love the yarn you got!!!

I'm so envious! There's only one thrift store here that even puts yarn out for sale, and honestly I can get it as cheaply at Michaels or WalMart as there, it's ridiculous! Yesterday when I was there they had 3 partial skeins of WoolEase ... partial, mind you, noticeably partial ... for $9.98. I mean c'mon. What's really sad is the other local thrift stores, when I asked about yarn, told me they just throw it away. I begged them to call me and I would buy it, but they said they can't keep a list of people who want stuff and it just doesn't pay them to put yarn out because so few people will buy it. So sad :(

Lani

I would start stalking their garbage cans/dumpsters!! LOL

What a GREAT find!! Who knew you could find great yarn in UTAH?!?! I would have never thought.....

Here in Fl we have a ton of thrift stores (and consignment shops), but I haven't scoured for yarn - as of yet! Since I joined you girls and have heard of your great finds, I've been taking mental notes of where the thrift stores are around me now. (I'm usually with hubby on some other mission when I run across them, so I'll have to just take a day for myself and go hunting!)

Ugh, I was just in Salt Lake City for a week and I didn't even think about it! I could have made a haul! (I did find a great LYS there, Soul Spun Yarns). I am drooling over your pile!

I just happened on an estate sale last week, it was about to close so everything was half off, and I ended up getting 7 skeins of rust colored acrylic (hey, it was cheap) and 2 balls of white acrylic and some hooks for $2! Have to start frequenting those...

Tandi

Archived