Taking on projects other than afghans...

So, I've been crocheting on and off since 5th grad and have recently picked it back up again. I realized how much I missed it!! The only projects I've ever done have involved baby blankets, lapghans, afghans, and 6x9 rectangles for the Homemade Afghan Project.

My question is, when did you decided to take on a whole new project. I think I'd like to try my hand at crocheting purses/bags, but I'm a little intimidated.

Thank for any suggestions.:blush

Hi! I've been crocheting almost 3 years. I started with cute outfits for my daughter (almost 3 yo) and then as I learned all the different stitches I began making my own outfits for her. Then as I'd see something new that I liked I just tried it. I branched out into baby booties, scarves, hats, mittens, afghans, dishcloths, potholders, I just made my first purse for a Holiday Swap, I made snowflakes for everyone's Christmas trees, and am making a doily for my mom's friend. Basically if I found a pattern I liked I just tried it. Sometimes I come across directions that aren't quite clear so I just do what I think it says and as long as it looks good then I just go with it.

I say take on something new! Challenge yourself and have fun. Once you know the stitches you can make anything and if there is something you haven't done then it's a great opportunity to learn something new. Most times special directions are written in the pattern or you can always ask here and look up tutorials online.

Good luck!!

Once I learned the basic stitches and some shaping guidelines I just went for it. I haven't made any wearables that require blocking or sizing yet, but I've made all sorts of stuff with and without a pattern. The great thing about crochet is that it's easy to just sit down and try it.

After scarves and baby afghans, I tried making doll clothes. It was mainly because DD got an American Girl doll and I wanted her to have a lot of clothes. After that, I wasn't afraid of anything.

Only thing I have a problem to this day with, is bottom start booties. I just can't figure them out.

Good luck.

:manyheart

So, I've been crocheting on and off since 5th grad and have recently picked it back up again. I realized how much I missed it!! The only projects I've ever done have involved baby blankets, lapghans, afghans, and 6x9 rectangles for the Homemade Afghan Project.

My question is, when did you decided to take on a whole new project. I think I'd like to try my hand at crocheting purses/bags, but I'm a little intimidated.

Thank for any suggestions.:blush

If you've done afghans and rectangles (especially if any of them required joining), you have the basic skills necessary for a simply constructed rectangular or square bag, so that might be where you'd like to start, then when you are comfortable with that you can try things that work in the round or oval...

Find something you like and give it a go! If you run into strife, post on the Crochet Help board and folks will hop in to give you a hand :hook...

Cheers,

Thanks for the ideas. I tried my hand at a beanie last night. It's not too bad, but it's a little big. I would really like to make a purse or tote bag. I don't have a particular pattern yet....so, I'm off to to go look for one. Thanks again!!

If you have mainly done afghans, blankets, etc, a purse should be a breeze for you! I rarely do afghans, just because they seem like such an undertaking! I prefer small projects....like purses, doilies (my favorite!), snowflakes, etc.

There are lots of links around here for purse patterns....

if you've ever done a granny afghan then you might like this tapestry tote just to get your feet wet... so to speak

http://www.freepatterns.com/list.html?mode=list&offset=21&limit=21&status_id=A&cat_id=337

It is freepatterns so you have to be a member to get patterns but it is worth the hassle.

They have lots of other patterns there on page one that you might like to try as well.

I learned to crochet when I was a teenager (in the Dark Ages) and patterns back then often didn't say 'easy', 'experienced' etc. I just tackled what appealed to me, it didn't occur to me that it might be beyond my skill level. I think (accidently) challenging myself like that was a great education. Don't be afraid to frog a little here and there (it's part of the learning process :frog)

Good luck! Purses and bags are a lot of fun, especially felted ones. :clap

When I first started crochet, my projects were scarves and beanies. Not until last year did I try my hand at afghans. I'm still not too big on them but as long as it is a quick-working pattern, I will finish it.

I say jump right in! You never know if you can do it until you try. :hook

Archived